Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Kromlech Power Axes

3K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  ntaw 
#1 ·
I'm a little curious, I've been doing some online hunting and I can't find anyone who's pictured these axes with 40k models. I'm looking to use them with my Guard army, and while the look a little big these are the ONLY damn power axes I can find worth actually buying separately. Two casts of each of these axes are $10 CAD from Wayland Games, totaling six axes- three for my Primaris Psykers and three for my blob Sergeants. Does anyone have any experience with this product, or maybe better internet sifting skills than I to find pictures of them in use with 40k models? Here's a picture of what I'm talking about:

Friggin' bullshit that there aren't power axes for the Guard, the only place to get non-blinged out axes are the Assault Marine and Vanguard box it seems. Bits retailers have them individually but paying around $3 per axe hurts my mind and wallet.

As a bonus question, anyone have any other options for me?

See less See more
#2 ·
If they look a bit big, I like the idea of guard members holding the axes two handed, I mean it represent the unwieldy part well!!

#4 ·
@falcoso, that might just be a winner of an idea...but it might mean that I learn how to sculpt hands as Catachan Guardsmen only have to many options.

Those axes are pretty nice @venomlust, though I think I might just like the look of the Kromlech ones a bit more given that they are plastic/resin instead of metal. Definitely banking that information though, thank you very much for sharing. I don't know why I didn't try 'power axe' on eBay sooner. Guess I just figured I would get a wild amount of items with insanely over-priced shipping. Space Marine Power Axe, only $2....plus ~$10 shipping! :laugh:

#5 ·
You don't need to sculpt a hand for them, the cadianheavy weapon teams have hands used for binoculars they would work for a hand gripping a axe haft , and you can pick them up from bitz retailers cheap enough.

For the record power axes are expensive from bitz sellers for the very reasons you want them, they are bad ass but relatively rare and highly sought after.

#6 ·
Good call on the HWT hands, @bitsandkits. Luckily the Catachan and Cadian stuff is pretty much identical off sprue, though I used them because I thought it was cool to have the dudes holding binoculars with 48" range weapons. Seemed human. I will be keeping that in mind if I end up having to look into having them held two handed. To be sure though, I was kinda excited to try sculpting hands. Kneadatite doesn't scare me anymore, not since having to fix a couple models I got through eBay that the retailer wouldn't fix for me.

I get why power axes are expensive through retailers, and while I am not afraid to spend money I am also conscious of how much of it I'm using to accomplish my modeling goals. My issue isn't necessarily the price per axe, but here I have 6 axes from Kromlech for $10 CAD + fairly nominal shipping fees. I'd be stupid not to look into it.

Also for the record, if you responded to your business e-mails we'd have one hell of a relationship going already. Most recently, I sent you a message inquiring about a notification on when you're getting Cadian Command Squad bits back in stock and whether I could put together an order to be filled out as you get the parts in so I'm not ordering less in product than I'm paying in shipping each time. Still waiting on even a simple 'yes' or 'no' on that one.

#7 ·
to answer your question, No, we dont do that, we only sell whats in stock on the site(they are on order however), we simply dont have enough hours in the day to perform that service, i can only appologise for the lack of reply but we have moved offices twice in two months and my wife has been in hospital, so im a little snowed under, fingers crossed and we will be firing on all cylinders going forward and communication will improve.

#8 ·
I'm sorry to hear about the wife, hopefully everything comes out OK. Damn shame about moving the business as well, I've done that with the company that I used to work for (helped build 4 locations) and it was a pain.

As for the order, I knew it was a long shot. Thanks for answering me though, I'll keep an eye out for the parts I need but it seems a losing battle as I've been questing through your site for over a year now trying to get one order together as opposed to several small ones. I want to give you my money, I really do :(

#9 ·
The move has been a royal pain in the arse, our old land lord gave us almost zero notice ( he was legally right but it was still a shit trick ), we managed to find a new location, but after a month of constant disruptions and issues it was clear that the new office wasn't working, so we had to move again, which we have now completed, all the while wife's recovering from her operation and been keeping the bitz ship afloat.
but hey at the end of the day I can always pop along to heresy for some friendly banter with like minded chaps to keep my spirits up

#10 ·
Well hey, I'm glad to hear that you've found a new home for Bits & Kits and that your wife's on the mend. Hopefully your life starts to feel like whatever normal is for you soon :drinks:

On OP topic, I just ordered the Kromlech axes as I managed to sell some of my metal guardsmen. Whenever they arrive I will post pictures of the product with GW official stuff because the internet needs it (IMHO).

#12 ·
Well fuck boys, this is a disappointment. Check the size comparison between a guard model and these axes. You don't need a clear picture to know that these axes are the same size or larger than the friggin' model that's supposed to carry them.

They're pretty huge even for a space marine, what they are allegedly made for.

What a damn shame. I'm still going to try to work them...but I'm pretty fucking sad right now.

#13 ·
They might look more reasonable if you extend the haft to the ground and make it look more like a poleaxe.

#14 ·
That way they might actually have a chance of swinging them I suppose. I just wish that the axe heads themselves were shrunk just a bit, the hafts are just a touch long but that's easy to cut down as I position the hands. As I put the pieces together I'll try your idea out, the constructive ideas help right now. That last post was a bit of wailing doom, I guess it really is my own fault for ordering conversion bits without seeing any size comparison pictures. Whenever I build back up the will to do this I'll post what I come up with.

#15 · (Edited)
Here's a Death Company model I used one of the double headed axes with. I'm going to use the other double headed axe on another DC member, using running legs and the Thunder Hammer arms from that kit. I still think it's cartoonish in size.

EDIT: and the two-handed model:

#19 ·
:laugh: at least in a 10 man squad I know EXACTLY where the special weapons are, eh?

Thanks for the kind words, I'm using the huge ones here because the smaller ones I'm going to try to work onto a Guard model. It's gunna be ridiculous, but what can I do at this point? :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.