Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

Just got all the dataslates for CSM and I'm not disappointed. Helcult is very good just for the reason my Helbrute has 2 PF and just charges into combat and dies before he can move another turn. So the bonuses for it make it a lot better and playable with ease.

Now I've come to talk about the Helguard Formation.
I'd tell you what it comes with but leaving out the bonuses but I don't wanna chance this thread being deleted. So if you're reading this, you must own it or have seen it in play.
My opinions on the formation leave me puzzled. The formation seems like it would be the best expensive battle force in 40k, it's got your HQ, core units, supporting units and more. It's perfect and a naked build for it I think comes down to 1000 maybe less. I only see this formation being taken in a few ways. Being in a narrative campaign, this and the Dark angels against eachother is perfect only being that's just who their fighting and through background, they hold Kranon's fate in their hands, He's meant to die by them from the prophecy. Or in a friendly match where you'd like to have an non-competitive match.

Those are my opinions, I'm sure this formation can be taken better through upgrades but barebones, it's kinda what I usually take, just swap out a bunch of units, hq and upgrade them pretty fierce.

But tell me your opinions on the Helguard Formation, would is the purpose of this build, what do you think GW was trying to accomplish.

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
It's an incentive to buy the Dark Vengeance Expansion Pack for Crimson Slaughter (I do like how they saw the Dark Angel one was irretrievable garbage and didn't even try to salvage it), because in the base Codex there's really not all that much reason to want a Chaos Land Raider, a unit of 5 Raptors, the weird Cultist squad sizes, the stupidly expensive melee Chosen, the Helbrute etc.

It's a no-brainer if you have those units, since the bonuses are pretty strong, but it's mostly units you don't want to take and it leaves you no extra slots meaning you need an extra HQ and two Troops if you want to bring in Spawn, Maulerfiends, Obliterators, or indeed any unit other than the limited set in Dark Vengeance.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts