Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a question for my fellow gamers. How many Imperial Knights are too many Imperial Knights? I play in an area where a guy has 6 knights and plans on getting more haha.

·
Premium Member
6,993 Posts
Well considering how many points they are, its depends on the size of the games you and your group play.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Well given that Imperial Knights new codex now means you get an entire army of them, then there is no limit.

The only limit is what you deem to be too many. Think about it, each one of them is a Super-Heavy Walker with a minimum of S6 Ap 3 weaponary, followed up by a Strength D Melee weapon.

Unless you yourself have a monstrous amount of anti-tank / walker in your army or your own knights to fight them. I personally would limit it to 3 Knights is what im willing to fight again. And i play Dark Angels 40k, and Horus Heresy Night Lords.

Somewhat in my gaming group has 8 Knights, 5 of which are the Forge-World variants. To this day no one has gamed against more than 3 of his knights.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't get me wrong, I play against 4 of his knights in 1500 and don't really mind. I just hear people talk about how unfair it is and what not and was wondering what others thought. As for the warlord titan.... i think hes going to donate a kidney to afford it haha.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
usually 1 per 1000 pts are a tough but doable battle (not at 1000 pts...but 2 at 2000 it's ok). If you run 4 at 1500...just take a 2 Warhounds titan and stop even pretending it's not penis lenght issues :biggrin:

·
Registered
55 Posts
When do I get to hear about a battle vs. an Emperor-Class Titan?

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
for me it really depends on what kinda of player you are and what kindof group you play in..
your your a WAAC player then for broke with six and you should win m 90% of your games..and loose 100% friends haha..no seriously for WAAC go nuts mate..

if you play cirlce wants to go up against then go for it...i rmemeber i time when the way to write a good list was how to deal with TEQ and MEQ..now you really need to write a list how to deal with SH.

i suppose just talk with your buddies and find some narrative ways to play multiple knights...mega battles..campaigns etc

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
for me it really depends on what kinda of player you are and what kindof group you play in..
your your a WAAC player then for broke with six and you should win m 90% of your games..and loose 100% friends haha..no seriously for WAAC go nuts mate..

if you play cirlce wants to go up against then go for it...i rmemeber i time when the way to write a good list was how to deal with TEQ and MEQ..now you really need to write a list how to deal with SH.

i suppose just talk with your buddies and find some narrative ways to play multiple knights...mega battles..campaigns etc
Hey guys, lets all live the 1980's it was fun then, because Rolf Harris and Jimmy Saviles weren't called paedophiles then and there was drugs and no Justin Beiber and you only had to play Space Marines because fatmantis says so.

As a note, fellow readers - this kind of thinking (not mine, I mean, Fatmantis) is the reason why 40k is sometimes listed as stale and slow moving. Unfortunately, the design team is apparently split right down the middle. Why are plasma pistols 15pts? Because they always were is not a good enough answer.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Why do you say that?

They are resilient, mobile, can capture objectives and pack a tonne of firepower
They haven't placed particularly well in any of the major tournaments so far as I'm aware. Armies with a strong Knight presence? Oh, yeah, for sure; AdLance is a very strong formation. Pure Knights? Not so much.

They also really, really don't pack a tonne of firepower, at least in their Paladin and Errant forms. The Crusader I've yet to see since it's so new, but I can't imagine it's particularly efficient either. You need to be really, really good at something for 400pts, not just throw a Str9 AP1 Large Blast or a pair of Battle Cannon shots somewhere.

Their resilience is also easy to overestimate, I think. If you line up and let them run at you with AV13 and Ion Shields, they're bastards, but since they're so low model count getting relevant guns into multiple arcs isn't particularly difficult.

·
Registered
642 Posts
They haven't placed particularly well in any of the major tournaments so far as I'm aware. Armies with a strong Knight presence? Oh, yeah, for sure; AdLance is a very strong formation. Pure Knights? Not so much.

They also really, really don't pack a tonne of firepower, at least in their Paladin and Errant forms. The Crusader I've yet to see since it's so new, but I can't imagine it's particularly efficient either. You need to be really, really good at something for 400pts, not just throw a Str9 AP1 Large Blast or a pair of Battle Cannon shots somewhere.

Their resilience is also easy to overestimate, I think. If you line up and let them run at you with AV13 and Ion Shields, they're bastards, but since they're so low model count getting relevant guns into multiple arcs isn't particularly difficult.
Unfortunately most of your arguement is undone by the fact their is a new book, by bringing up old tournaments. Thats like saying upon the release of the most recent Tau codex that their previous one was not very successful so this one wont be

I asked my question because the new knight book is only 5 days old and you were very quick to dismiss them.

The firepower arguement depends upon how you define tonne of firepower, quantity or quality. I fall in the quality category

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
I don't think that being able to add on a Bolt Cannon instead of your Reaper Chainsword is actually going to break Knights wide open, actually, and given that's basically all the new book has added...

·
Registered
642 Posts
I don't think that being able to add on a Bolt Cannon instead of your Reaper Chainsword is actually going to break Knights wide open, actually, and given that's basically all the new book has added...
A 325 Point Knight
Carapace weapons
And Gatling Cannon

All fill in gaps the 3 Knight list had. Then take in the 4 Forgeworld Knights, White Dwarf special character. There is now a bit to play around with

·
JUGGERNUT
2,558 Posts
usually 1 per 1000 pts are a tough but doable battle (not at 1000 pts...but 2 at 2000 it's ok). If you run 4 at 1500...just take a 2 Warhounds titan and stop even pretending it's not penis lenght issues :biggrin:
I think this is a pretty good rule of thumb.

Honestly, I wouldn't really mind facing a list of 4-5 knights. With 2 D-thirsters and a ton of meltabikers from Gorepacks, I think I'd stand a decent chance of taking most of them down.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Hey guys, lets all live the 1980's it was fun then, because Rolf Harris and Jimmy Saviles weren't called paedophiles then and there was drugs and no Justin Beiber and you only had to play Space Marines because fatmantis says so.

As a note, fellow readers - this kind of thinking (not mine, I mean, Fatmantis) is the reason why 40k is sometimes listed as stale and slow moving. Unfortunately, the design team is apparently split right down the middle. Why are plasma pistols 15pts? Because they always were is not a good enough answer.
what on earth are you talking about!! "because i said so??" i never said knights where overpowered or unbeatable etc..i my self am building 6 crusaders..
as for blaming me for making 40k stale you have know idea what your talking about..i run a successful club the ONLY club in shenzhen china..where i teach my guys to use every single unit in their books or any publications they can find..i.e WD..supplements etc.

as for the TEQ MEQ if you are referring... that was the standard TAUGHT on this site when i first joined so check your facts before dragging my name through the mud...i was simply trying to help the dude out.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
I'm currently trying to decide between two Imperial Knight lists. 1 will be the Barony Formation... 1850 points, 4 Crusaders with carapace weaponry.

The other option is the Exalted House Terryn formation, at 2000+ points. Because that thing is a BEAST.

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts