Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies for the incoming wall of text, but I thought that I could share the experience of my very first 40k game. *pats self on back*

Back in the Kill Teams thread I posted a list for my FLGS' escalation league, of which I've had only 1 game so far:

5 Seraphim (default frag and krak for each model)
2 twin hand flamers

5 Celestians
1 meltagun

199 points

All died to massed ork fire. :laugh:

Ok, so it was my first tabletop game ever, and not even normal 40k at that. But I did learn a few things about playing Sisters, or Kill Team at the very least:

1) Bolters are still useful at maximum range: When going against 18" BS2 weapons sometimes its best to just stand still and force them to move towards you.

2) 3+ armor saves > 4+ cover saves: I realized this after the game; instead of hugging walls and terrain, it would've been better to establish a gunline and expose yourself to AP5 fire. I would have at least been able to shoot back.

3) You need a very, very, very good excuse to bring seraphim: They attract a lot of attention. Couple that with your need to stay out of sight until you get close enough to bolt pistol/assault anyone. And they're worth two battle sisters each. I admit that they were not a well thought-out choice for 200 point Kill Team, and that I could have maneuvered them better to get the most out of their abilties. If anyone could point out a useful strategy for them, I could give them another try.

So the reason why I posted this in the army lists board is that the league is entering the 500 point stage, and Kill Team is house-ruled to remove the "Every Man for Himself" rule. So now it's essentially a normal 40k game with the Kill Team FOC restrictions and conditions:

- 4' x 4' table crammed with terrain
- deployment is similar to spearhead (table quarters) but at minimum 9" away from the center
- game ends once an army is annihilated
- FOC restrictions (0-1 Elite, 0-2 Troops, 0-1 Fast Attack).
- When the number of your units (1 squad/vehicle = 1 unit) falls to half or less (e.g. one of two starting units is left), roll a leadership test (use the model with the highest leadership) at the start of every subsequent turn, failing that loses the match. On to the list!

5 celestians
1 heavy flamer
1 meltagun
5 krak grenades
1 immolator w/ smoke launchers

10 battle sisters
1 veteran superior
1 book of st. lucius
1 heavy flamer
1 meltagun

5 dominions
1 veteran superior
1 book of st. lucius
2 flamers
5 meltabombs

500 points
20 infantry
2 vehicles
5 units
2 meltas
6 flamers
3 faith

I probably won't change this anymore for the current phase of the league, because these are all the usable models I have right now aside from seraphim and an inquisitor.

I'd really appreciate any advice for using it, though.

To the mods: is posting mission rules a no-no? I could edit them out if they are.

·
Grey Knight Converter
2,169 Posts
Interesting, is your store using the kill team rules where every model acts independently and is a separate squad. Beacuse if it is it affects how you run your models and what you should take.

I will make comments on the list as best I can.

Don't think you need meltabombs, there shouldn't be too many heavy vehicles out there, kraks should be enough.

If kill team is based on squads than the flamer is pretty good. If its individual models I would consider taking a heavy bolter in the celestian squad instead of the flamer. Flamers in this case aren't as good as the range is short and you aren't likely to hit a lot of guys.

Something I considered in my kill team before was Immolator, heavy bolter and blessed ammunition. In kill team a lot of it is based on hiding and cover saves. Twin linked heavy bolter shots that ignore cover and pretty amazing.

Other than that the list looks pretty good.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If kill team is based on squads than the flamer is pretty good. If its individual models I would consider taking a heavy bolter in the celestian squad instead of the flamer. Flamers in this case aren't as good as the range is short and you aren't likely to hit a lot of guys.
Interesting, I hadn't thought about how "Every Man for Himself" would affect a weapon's effectiveness. Kudos!

And yeah, our store initially used Every Man for Himself at 200 points. I guess now that we'll be competing at 500 points, moving and shooting single-model units will become more of a chore.

In kill team a lot of it is based on hiding and cover saves. Twin linked heavy bolter shots that ignore cover and pretty amazing.
Your post is like some kind of epiphany for me. You know how some people stare at stereograms and no matter how hard they try, they can never cross their eyes enough to see the hidden 3D picture? I'm the guy who just learned how to cross his eyes.

5 celestians
1 heavy flamer
1 meltagun
5 krak grenades

10 battle sisters
1 veteran superior
1 book of st. lucius
1 heavy flamer
1 meltagun

5 dominions
1 veteran superior