Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a themed idea that i'd like to see what you guys think about. the whole point of it is to counter all the Razor Spam lists that are so popular with Space Marines and hopefully put a severe hurt on IG lists.

let's face it: there's enough anti-psyker out there to put the breaks on our psykers, and Eldar being weaklings anyway, wounding (even with Doom) can be a pain, and Witchblades, while awesome are still not PWs, not to mention there's enough rending and poison to knock down our MCs.

what i had in mind when i built this list was to get away from those potential weaknesses (comes out to 1993 pts.):

Autarch
-fusion gun
-scorpion chainsword

Autarch
-fusion gun
-scorpion chainsword

Fire Dragons
x6
Wave Serpent
-tl chin cannons
-stones

Fire Dragons
x6
Wave Serpent
-tl chin cannons
-stones

Dire Avengers
x5
Wave Serpent
-tl bl
-spirit stones

Dire Avengers
x5
Wave Serpent
-tl bl
-spirit stones

Dire Avengers
x5
Wave Serpent
-tl bl
-spirit stones

Dire Avengers
x5
Wave Serpent
-tl bl
-spirit stones

Dark Reapers
x4
+Exarch
-crack shot
-reaper launcher

Dark Reapers
x4
+Exarch
-crack shot
-reaper launcher

Dark Reapers
x4
+Exarch
-crack shot
-reaper launcher

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
From what I can tell you are paying too much for those Dark Reapers. If memory serves those units should only come out to 182 each. Once again my Codex not in hand, but I'm fairly certain.

Where to spread those points is a little iffy in list like this: Autarch upgrades, more Serpent upgrades, or just more guys.

Oh well, I'll figure it out when I run this list tonight, or a variant of it anyway. I am being forced to run "Fluffy" lists for the next couple months. Its my punishment for being "awesome", haha. Luckily, this one has the Beil Tan Aspect spam going on, so its still good. DAVU may not fly though, so we'll see.

I am starting to think Chin Cannons with those extra points...

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
unfortunately, points are on.

i used Army Builder but as Army Builder messes up sometimes so i calculated manually, and it's still right.

my main issue: not enough LONG range anti-tank. Reapers are great for killing marines, but with this set up i can only knock out 4 transports per turn. EMLs may be in order for a couple of Serpents, but i should count on fighting LR's just as well.

it's simply not possible to put that many Lances on the board as Eldar in a cost effective way, unless you spam Guardians...?

thanks Styro for your input, any one else?

·
Registered
249 Posts
I was thinking that scatter lasers do better vs AV11or 10, and are cheaper, but you do need the lances for all the other things out there.
What do you think about dropping one Reaper squad for a wraithlord with EML and lance? Wraithsight will occasionally annoy, but it's cc denial I'm thinking of.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Oops! My bad, I just saw 4 Dark Reapers and assumed you made one of those an Exarch with a Tempest Launcher (just read Launcher in my skim, assumed an upgrade since you listed it) and Crack Shot. Yeah, you're right on those points.

Maybe I can convince you to switch over to mine though. It has plenty of anti infantry potential, and the points can upgrade some guns to help with anti tank. Alternatively, for the same points as my set up, you can tool your Dark Reapers to mow down transports too. Fast Shot and EML on 4 man Dark Reaper units. Two S 8 shots at BS 5 per squad on top of your other options is bound to help out a bit.

Or, simply this:

Autarch
-fusion gun
-scorpion chainsword

Autarch
-fusion gun
-scorpion chainsword

Fire Dragons
x6
Wave Serpent
-tl chin cannons
-chin cannon
-stones

Fire Dragons
x6
Wave Serpent
-tl chin cannons
-chin cannon
-stones

Dire Avengers
x5
Wave Serpent
-tl bl
-spirit stones

Dire Avengers
x5
Wave Serpent
-tl bl
-spirit stones

Dire Avengers
x5
Wave Serpent
-tl bl
-spirit stones

Dire Avengers
x5
Wave Serpent
-tl bl
-spirit stones

Dark Reapers
x3
+Exarch
-crack shot
-fast shot
-EML

Dark Reapers
x3
+Exarch
-crack shot
-fast shot
-EML

Dark Reapers
x3
+Exarch
-crack shot
-fast shot
-EML

This will add some long range anti tank punch early on, but will still provide almost as much anti infantry support. You only lose a few shots, but gain an extra turn at shooting those squads since they'll hopefully be further back.

·
Registered
86 Posts
why do you have your autarchs with the chain sword? if i understnd correctly they are both in a unit with the firse dragons? if so the +1 strength isnt going to do much and id rather save the points and put them on something else.

I'd also drop the reapers for fire prisms and maybe a falcon with a small scoring unit inside but thats just me, because with holo those things will make people soooooo angry and it will make them focus alot of fire onto your tanks if they want to destroy them, which means less shots into your other stuff which i nice. I do like dark reapers though, the only thing is that they will be the only units on foot and that makes me think they will see a lot of template action and t3 hurts, 3+ helps, but small squad sizes hurt again. You should try both because i know a lot of people who really fear dark reapers and a lot of people who hate holo tanks.

otherwise this is a very solid list and will do well at that youre trying to do, maybe if you wanted an assault squad throw in some harlies with shadow seer and all that fun stuff, that might be something to try. Whatever you do good luck!

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would definitely consider dropping some Spirit Stones to bring out some more big guns!
typically, i'd scoff at this, but seeing as how there are very little BLs in this list, dropping Stones could be a good idea, as a stunned tank not being able to shoot is just about the same as dead tank.

why do you have your autarchs with the chain sword? if i understnd correctly they are both in a unit with the firse dragons? if so the +1 strength isnt going to do much and id rather save the points and put them on something else.
good call here...and the reason i'm not using Prisms is because that would leave me with only three shots that could scatter off my opponent and doesn't ignore cover. also, you two need to be teamed up in order to make one shot anti-MEQ, so i'm spending at least 230 pts. on one shot.

still, they are cheaper than the Reaper squads.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
new list:

HQ
Autarch
-reaper launcer

HQ
Autarch
-reaper launcer

ELITES
Fire Dragons
x5
Wave Serpent
-tl chin cannon
-chin cannon
-stones
-vectored engines

ELITES
Fire Dragons
x5
Wave Serpent
-tl chin cannon
-chin cannon
-stones
-vectored engines

ELITES
Fire Dragons
x5
Wave Serpent
-tl chin cannon
-chin cannon
-stones
-vectored engines

TROOP
Dire Avengers
x5
Wave Serpent
-tl ml
-chin canon
-stones

TROOP
Dire Avengers
x5
Wave Serpent
-tl ml
-chin canon
-stones

TROOP
Dire Avengers
x5
Wave Serpent
-tl ml
-chin canon
-stones

TROOP
Dire Avengers
x5
Wave Serpent
-tl ml
-chin canon
-stones

HEAVY SUPPORT
Dark Reapers
x5

HEAVY SUPPORT
Dark Reapers
x5

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I take it this list rocks face in its new incarnation?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Pretty much!
Hang on.
You have vectored engines in there. ><.
I would drop at least two of the three. Keep one if you want, and use that on critical targets or the serpent you suspect should attract the most fire.

I don't have my codex on me but I'm pretty sure that dropping two vectored engines and the chin cannon from the serp you don't lose the vectored engines from leaves you with enough points...
to upgrade an Autarch to Yriel. I think that's worth it.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i see where you're going with that, but the reason i'm not keen on this idea (and don't think you're idea is bad; it's simply not the tactic i want to employ here) is because i'll have Yriel (a CC model) in a super shooty army.

he has no really useful friends to hang with and take shots and punches for him.

not to mention, the Fire Dragons are my dedicated anti-LR/termie unit so if i need to rush them in and they get shot down (i.e. turbo boost in one turn) hopefully they'll survive the landing.

thankd for the help though. like a bit doof for requesting advice and then not using it...:blush:

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Got two games against MEQs, same player two different lists.

First game went well (both games played were annihilation, standard set up since we were testing new lists) during the first turn (he went first) I immobilised two Vindies and one LR. Also knocked the guns off the two Vindies.

Then my luck wen to pot and I couldn't bust a single Rhino after that. Moment of the game for me was when attempted to tank shock a Fire Dragon unit and I successfully blew up his LR in the Death or Glory attack.

We called it a tie as he won by kill points but I would have won by victory points.

Second game was miserable. He brought foot slogging Marines and between my terrible luck, his awesome luck (he rolled for scatter 3-5 times in a row for Deepstiking and ML shots and was dead on all those times) plus his excellent use of cover it was a loss for me by turn three but we played it out.

Not giving up on the list yet. The games proved the list I immensely weak against hordes but is great in the anti-mech department.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts