Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know many Heretics have mini-me's running around, and it got me thinking....

How do people feel about "aggressive" punishment? I don't mean battering them senseless or anything, but a good clout round the ear or the back of the legs etc never did me any harm. I leant right from wrong quick enough and I've turned out well enough. :)

Are parents - hell even schools - too soft these days? Have we gone too far down the road of bubble-wrapping every child just in case they get a scratch or a bruise?

·
Registered
41 Posts
My mother used to tell me of her days in school, back when they still used the cane or the belt. She would tell me of how kids would be hit once or twice. People now would call that child abuse and sue the holy shit out of the teacher but what they fail to understand is that the child was only hit once or twice, they never did no bad shit again.

Sorry to quote Batman but what the hell: "Why do we fall? So we can learn to pick ourselves up." Children need to be exposed to the potential of injury, sickness and what not. Nothing overly dangerous but if the kid wants to eat dirt, then let the kid go to town on a nice mud pie. A broken arm or leg never did me any damage longer than a few months.

·
8,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My mother used to tell me of her days in school, back when they still used the cane of the belt. She would tell me of how kids would be hit once or twice. People now would call that child abuse and sue the holy shit out of the teacher but what they fail to understand is that the child was only hit once or twice, they never did no bad shit again.
Exactly, it hurts like fuck and you think twice about doing it again :)

·
Registered
199 Posts
The day I heard that they were closing the most awesome park in my neighborhood because kids could get splinters was the day I knew that people are too soft now. Especially given my time in the states, people are terrified about everything now. Kids can't drink soda because of obesity, they can't drink diet soda because aspartame will give them autism, they can't go outside because of child molesters, they can't stay inside because of ADHD. Kids can't be shown even the slightest amount of nudity before the age of 40 or they will immediately gain 7D10 Insanity. Kids need to be sheltered from their own failings as well- if a kid fails at something he didn't actually fail, he succeeded last!

My dad never actually smacked me or anything, but he was creative. The first time I came home from a high school party (drunk, of course) at about 3 AM, he didn't say a word, but woke me up at 5:30 AM with the sound of him replacing my bedroom door with power tools and a hammer and two big pots, with the lights on. This would be emotional and mental abuse to today's child. I have never drank to excess in his house since.

·
8,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The blame-culture is - I feel - exactly what is wrong with society today. I mean, as an example what is the point in giving a kid a little medal for winning something at sports day, and then giving all the other kids the same medal "for trying their best".

It's a different thing to discipline I grant you, but it still reeks of people being too soft on everything and not letting people learn from their mistakes or looking at how to get better at something.

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
I have never raised a hand to either of my kids. Nor have I done the namby pamby "go and think about what you have done" shit either.

All I have done is laid down clearly define CONSISTENT boundaries of acceptable behaviour. My kids are awesome young people.

We're not "going soft" on kids we are confusing the fuck out of them but not giving them a hard and fast set of rules.

·
Registered
199 Posts
It's a different thing to discipline I grant you, but it still reeks of people being too soft on everything and not letting people learn from their mistakes or looking at how to get better at something.
That's just it, and that's how it ties to discipline. There are no consequences for mistakes anymore, because people cannot possibly make a mistake. It goes beyond children, now, seeing as the 90s generation was the start of the Child Worship movement. I have classmates in university who blame the professor that they can't study for three hours a week to stay on top of the course material. It's not my poor time management, it's mean old Professor Hitler.

If people actually had to deal with the fact that everyone messes up sometimes and they learned to move on from that instead of believing that they couldn't possibly do wrong and anyone who says otherwise will shatter their self-esteem, we are building a society of fragile people. You have to be able to take a hit in this world and keep on going. That's what this lack of discipline creates.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Jesus you should come to Australia. In a fair few of a schools now children are no longer allowed to do cartwheels or any other form of gymnastics, children are given full safety gear to play soccer and football. They are not allowed to hug/cuddle one another and some schools have even forbade having best friends as it makes the other children jealous of the best friend.

I am currently completing my Year 12 (Final Year) education and in my English class we are not able to watch a movie or video with a rating above G-PG which is basically Disney level rating wise. Jesus we are 18 and can't even watch bloody Hunger Games.

What happens to these children who have been so shielded when they get out into the world?

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
What happens to these children who have been so shielded when they get out into the world?
I have to say I agree with this whole heartedly. sheltering kids does no one any favours IMO.

·
8,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jesus you should come to Australia. In a fair few of a schools now children are no longer allowed to do cartwheels or any other form of gymnastics, children are given full safety gear to play soccer and football. They are not allowed to hug/cuddle one another and some schools have even forbade having best friends as it makes the other children jealous of the best friend.

I am currently completing my Year 12 (Final Year) education and in my English class we are not able to watch a movie or video with a rating above G-PG which is basically Disney level rating wise. Jesus we are 18 and can't even watch bloody Hunger Games.

If that's happening now then I truly fear for the future of Oz....

·
Registered
41 Posts
You and me both. I intend to get out as soon as possible, probably head to the UK or Canada, got family in both places and conveniently both live within 10 minuets of the local hobby store as apposed to my current 45-60 minuet trip.

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
If that's happening now then I truly fear for the future of Oz....
We are not unique, it is a general attitude in many western developed countries.

You and me both. I intend to get out as soon as possible, probably head to the UK or Canada, got family in both places and conveniently both live within 10 minuets of the local hobby store as apposed to my current 45-60 minuet trip.
Best of luck finding a job.

·
8,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
Unfortunately Mags, you are correct :(
Thing is "we" as parents can simply reject that trend by making our own choices about how our kids grow.

I think to a certain extent kids are more or less expected to grow up in the same way plants do, food, water and a roof and they'll be right. Doesn't work like that.

·
8,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thing is "we" as parents can simply reject that trend by making our own choices about how our kids grow.

I think to a certain extent kids are more or less expected to grow up in the same way plants do, food, water and a roof and they'll be right. Doesn't work like that.
Sadly, too many people are too wet as parents to do just that. So the standard slips with the kids, and so on etc :(

As essential as food etc is, I feel a key element is guidance and encouragement, and not kid-gloves and cotton wool. But then again, I don't have kids so there are any number of people that would tell me to shut up as I have no idea. :(

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
But then again, I don't have kids so there are any number of people that would tell me to shut up as I have no idea. :(
Don't ever think for a second that having kids grants you instant knowledge and authority.

·
8,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Don't ever think for a second that having kids grants you instant knowledge and authority.
Oh far from it. Some of the people I know shouldn't be allowed to grow fungus between their toes, never mind raise a child.....

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
My mum was the kind of person who would tell me what I was doing was potentially dangerous once and then let me think about it. It's how I learned to think ahead before doing something.

But I agree, people are too soft these days. In Toronto, we're not allowed to have snowball fights, some schools have banned TAG, and we're not even allowed to slide around on patches of ice anymore.

These idiots are BREEDING fat, lazy kids who do nothing but eat disgusting food and sit in their rooms all day playing videogames. They teach us everything's dangerous and we can't do anything or we get hurt. It's bloody frustrating!

·
Warlord of Vermin
882 Posts
well im in grade 11 now and just the other day on the bus i was talking to some grade 8 kid about shit and he told me he has never climbed a tree in his life. i just thought maybe it was just this one kid that had never really gone outside but when i asked what he does with his friends he told me they sit around and play cod all weekend. which is what nearly all the kids do these days.

·
8,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well im in grade 11 now and just the other day on the bus i was talking to some grade 8 kid about shit and he told me he has never climbed a tree in his life. i just thought maybe it was just this one kid that had never really gone outside but when i asked what he does with his friends he told me they sit around and play cod all weekend. which is what nearly all the kids do these days.
Falling out of a tree whilst acting the fool used to be a right of passage from "child" to "boy". After that it was graduating to the big table at Christmas.....

1 - 20 of 30 Posts