Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

101 - 120 of 226 Posts

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
of course. When the blood angels 32mm base issue came out, it was stated that you could use your previous bases if you wanted. No one is ever going to tell us to rebase our models

·
Registered
3,694 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
So, possessed can take an icon of wrath...but they already have furious charge from demon of khrone and can reroll charge from fleet...whats the point of the icon/what am i missing?

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
+1 to assault result...pretty crap.

·
JUGGERNUT
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
And yet you still have to pay 2 meltaguns worth of points for that +1. SO WORTH IT!

At some point I want to try out Warp Talons. Tie up some marines with my doggies while the WT are hopping out from my deployment zone and then shred them apart.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Yes, I was actually just looking over the warp talons and doing the attack math... With mok, dok, and ap3 shred they are going to hit like trucks. I am finding that there is a lot of cool shit in this codex that I want to try out. Seems like a lot of synergy options with the deep striking units and instrument of chaos welding units.

·
Registered
773 Posts
why, do you even DS the bloodhounds?
Cos you can blood tithe them or summon them with malefic spells.

Yes, I was actually just looking over the warp talons and doing the attack math... With mok, dok, and ap3 shred they are going to hit like trucks. I am finding that there is a lot of cool shit in this codex that I want to try out. Seems like a lot of synergy options with the deep striking units and instrument of chaos welding units.
I'm still thinking they are very expensive at 34pts a model with only a 3+/5++ save. Espesially if you deep strike them they will be shot to pieces or charged, what means no rage or fury charge bonus.
Though if you can charge with them it is a really strong charge at S5 A4 with rerolls on failed wounds and AP3, and your HoW.
Just my view is 10 raptors are better for the points than the 6 warptalons you could buy.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Cos you can blood tithe them or summon them with malefic spells.

I'm still thinking they are very expensive at 34pts a model with only a 3+/5++ save. Espesially if you deep strike them they will be shot to pieces or charged, what means no rage or fury charge bonus.
Though if you can charge with them it is a really strong charge at S5 A4 with rerolls on failed wounds and AP3, and your HoW.
Just my view is 10 raptors are better for the points than the 6 warptalons you could buy.
I think one of the strengths of this codex is providing a multitude of hard hitting units for your enemy to shoot at. Warp talons striking alone would certainly get shot up but add them with the units from a gorepack and brazen onslaught units and suddenly the enemy has to start making decisions on what to shoot.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I think one of the strengths of this codex is providing a multitude of hard hitting units for your enemy to shoot at. Warp talons striking alone would certainly get shot up but add them with the units from a gorepack and brazen onslaught units and suddenly the enemy has to start making decisions on what to shoot.

I can kinda see your point. But if you are gunna deepstrike a ton of stuff down or try to run a load of stuff up and then DS them in, I still think they are expensive.
Sadly imoo having read the story stuff in the book and it seems as though Talons are summoned to battlefields or drawn to them like carrion.
They seemed to have missed something that would have been great, by allowing them to be summoned at the same tithe level as Bloodcrushers. Probably would have sold a few models as well.

·
Registered
166 Posts
summoning warp talons would have been pretty boss! Though i was thinking of using bloodcrushers charging up the field with their instrument to help with warp talon and terminator DSing.

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
Good idea on blood crushers.

So also I just noticed something potentially awesome (broken?) You earn blood tithe points for a unit including only a single model with the "blood for the blood god" rule. So blood brother units can be joined by a daemonkin independent character and generate blood points.

E.g Here's my iron warriors devastators + Herald of Khorne = blood points.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Good idea on blood crushers.

So also I just noticed something potentially awesome (broken?) You earn blood tithe points for a unit including only a single model with the "blood for the blood god" rule. So blood brother units can be joined by a daemonkin independent character and generate blood points.

E.g Here's my iron warriors devastators + Herald of Khorne = blood points.
Yes you could... though better than that is Rhinos that are fast attack. Assault lines of them are great as they have the same rule.

·
3,351 Posts
Yes you could... though better than that is Rhinos that are fast attack. Assault lines of them are great as they have the same rule.
Would that work the same way? E.g. would havocs in allied rhinos gain BftBG?

·
Registered
773 Posts
Would that work the same way? E.g. would havocs in allied rhinos gain BftBG?
Not exactly... but then again throwing a char in a unit doesn't work as well as I think you might think it does.
Basically for the unit to be completely destroyed the character you put in them would also have to have died (though according to rules lawyers that would give you 2 blood points (1 for the unit including him dying and 1 for the character dying as well.
BUT in either case that is rather expensive way to do things... especially when you can buy 35pt rhinos and use them as shields for all your units either embarked on board or just positioned in front of your guys so the enemy cant hit your guys.
These Rhinos have that same rule, so to be able to hit your guys they will have to blow up rhinos to get to you, giving you blood points :)

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Not necessarily, no, since it's "a unit containing at least one model with this rule...," and the Rhino itself isn't a model in the unit; it is its own unit. And no Blood Host detachment allows for the purchasing of Rhinos by themselves, so you could only buy them solo (able to put other units in them, I suppose) as part of a CAD or Allied Detachment.

Though, now that you mention it, it could prove a nice deterrent against enemies, say, popping my Noise Marine rhinos (or whatever unit I can't get in K:DK)--that would give me Blood Points if they cracked the shell around the Noise Marines.

Downsides:
- then (alongside a CAD of CSM with MoS Lord for ObSec Noise Marines) the rhinos are no longer ObSec--turning killing them into an enemy deterrent makes them slightly less flexible.
- If you're aiming for ObSec Noise Marines, a CAD or Allied K:DK, and still want to have an appreciable number of Blood Points (so need to get the Slaughter Cult and at least 1 other detachment, for the Blood Host benefits), that's... a lot of points. They're not "taxes" per se, since you might be getting exactly what you want out of each detachment, but it pre-structures a lot of your list for you without much flexibility.

So. In sum, fielding K:DK BftBG Rhinos might not be too cost-effective an investment given the whole apparatus you need to buy around them. And honestly, since most units that you would want in a Rhino can buy the Rhinos already, if I were shooting for cheap blood points I'd probably just buy the several-points-cheaper solo Spawn for my FA slots in a CAD. The main benefit extra Rhino husks around give (after giving up Scouring and Kill Point stuff basically for free) is LoS blocking, while Spawn can actually throw themselves into assaults to get themselves killed and/or tie up an enemy unit for a shooting phase, rather than just tank shock.

Speaking of tank shocking, what, GW, no destroyer blades in K:DK? If I were fielding extra Rhino husks I might actually take those!

I can't help but suspect that the whole "throw transports into the FA slots" thing from recent codexes is specifically there to keep Drop Pods, Rhinos, etc, from being ObSec, since ObSec is limited to Troops... even if that Troops choice has a FA Dedicated Transport. Makes The Scouring a lot more interesting, definitely...

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
summoning warp talons would have been pretty boss! Though i was thinking of using bloodcrushers charging up the field with their instrument to help with warp talon and terminator DSing.
Warp Talons are good, but check the wording of "Banner of Blood" again--Termis can't use it as a homer, since the whole squad of Termis don't have the "Daemon" rule.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
An amusing aside: Speaking of allying in other units, the way Marks are worded in the CSM book and that Daemon of Khorne is worded in this one, there's no reason you can't, say, throw a Herald of Khorne into a squad of allied Plague Marines. They're not being joined by a model with another Mark, and Daemon of Khorne (here in K:DK, as opposed to in the Daemons codex) has no proscription against joining units with a different mark. Ah, GW proofreaders strike again...

Not going to do it, and hope it gets FAQ'ed out fast. Still, RAW, totally legal...

Edit: or, for that matter, probably a different-marked IC from the CSM book in a K:DK DoK unit.

·
3,351 Posts
I think you guys misunderstood my supposition. My intention wasn't to have the unit and character killed, but to extend the ability of BftBG point generation to a daemonkin ally army. So let's say I have an Iron Warriors detachment and a daemonkin detachment, If I join Khorne characters into the Iron Warriors units then the allied shooting can help generate points if they destroy a unit. For example, Iron Warriors havocs (las cannons or autocannons), defense line + ammo dump + plus Herald. So any kills count for BftBG.

101 - 120 of 226 Posts