Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

61 - 80 of 226 Posts

·
Warsmith
1,190 Posts
The real issue with MSU-spam lists I see here is that they give up a whole kill points or Scouring FA points--restraint may well be the order of the day, making more balanced lists focused on killing rather than dying (albeit still with interchangeable, multiply redundant units who can flexibly target a number of different units, ideally). You don't want to lose 1/3 of your Eternal War missions (or half the missions in a lot of the competitive tournament scene, which typically split VPs between two such categories) during the list-building phase alone.
Indeed, I spend most my time thinking about Maelstrom of war Lists, as its what i play at my local store (and when I think Comp, its the LVO setting which does encourage MSU currently)

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Indeed, I spend most my time thinking about Maelstrom of war Lists, as its what i play at my local store (and when I think Comp, its the LVO setting which does encourage MSU currently)
My conversation usually goes "Maelstrom or Eternal War? I have the cards--ah, you don't? All right, it's too much of a hassle to roll the objectives on dice, so let's play an Eternal War mission."

I figure if I get the Daemonkin datacards, then I'll be able to hand off my extra deck of objective cards on temporary loan to get Maelstrom games in more than a quarter of the time...

·
Warsmith
1,190 Posts
I figure if I get the Daemonkin datacards, then I'll be able to hand off my extra deck of objective cards on temporary loan to get Maelstrom games in more than a quarter of the time...
Thats about the basics of my plan.

But I also have two decks of cards already, its my preferred game type and having a spare deck makes sure I get to play it!

·
Registered
773 Posts
Fair enough, @Vaz.

To use the rulebook instead of an awkwardly phrased question,

From page 30, in the Shooting Phase section, under the heading Choose a Target:

Once you have chosen the unit that you want to shoot with, choose a single enemy unit for them to shoot at.
Firing with Interceptor is still making a shooting attack, after all.
The Interceptor rule
a weapon with the Interceptor special rule can be fired at any one unit that has arrived from Reserve within its range and line of sight.
That little word 'any' could allow you to shoot your own stuff.

As i said before though it would be really really dodgy to do so and likely would not be to your advantage. Everyone in a miles radius would also get some kind of spidie sence that you are 'That Guy' though even if they dont play the game and had never met you.

Though this did get me wondering about trying to make sure if you summon him close to an enemy unit and hope for a scatter to hit him. So you could down him in your own turn.
Or if you have the new seige of vraks stuff that allows you to target friendlies with some ordnance barrarge weapons...

Again though in each case he is probably gunna die as he would have no jink and only t6 and 4 wounds max if you downed him.

I did also wonder if you are allowed to elect to fail the test that keeps him in the air. I am pretty sure you can elect to fail morale tests, but i dont know if that is the only one.

·
Registered
33 Posts
hmm hope this is fixed! Well I think I will build my army to the list i earlier came up with, 3 Blood letters on the table at once is scary
Please refer to them as Bloodthirsters and not Bloodletters your referring to the strongest Khorne daemon with the weakest Khorne Daemon

Another note the Formation only allows you to take 1 Bloodthirster not 3.
Interesting note per Slaughtercult as well.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Um I've just really read the artifacts section and it says
A model may take one of the following:
Brazen Rune, Skull-helm, Armour

A model may instead replace one weapon with one of the following:
Goredrinker, Bloodshed, Kor'lath.

RAW does that mean you can only take 1 Artefact, 2 if you decide to take weapons but you would never put 2 melee weapons on a character.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Please refer to them as Bloodthirsters and not Bloodletters your referring to the strongest Khorne daemon with the weakest Khorne Daemon

Another note the Formation only allows you to take 1 Bloodthirster not 3.
Lord of Slaughter formation allows 3, It says "1 Bloodthister of Unfetted Fury, 1 Bloodthister of Insenate Rage, 1 Wrath of Khorne Bloodthister or 1 Khorne Lord of skulls"

·
JUGGERNUT
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
The Interceptor rule

That little word 'any' could allow you to shoot your own stuff.

As i said before though it would be really really dodgy to do so and likely would not be to your advantage. Everyone in a miles radius would also get some kind of spidie sence that you are 'That Guy' though even if they dont play the game and had never met you.

Though this did get me wondering about trying to make sure if you summon him close to an enemy unit and hope for a scatter to hit him. So you could down him in your own turn.
Or if you have the new seige of vraks stuff that allows you to target friendlies with some ordnance barrarge weapons...

Again though in each case he is probably gunna die as he would have no jink and only t6 and 4 wounds max if you downed him.

I did also wonder if you are allowed to elect to fail the test that keeps him in the air. I am pretty sure you can elect to fail morale tests, but i dont know if that is the only one.
I dunno, I still don't see how you'd get around using the rules for Interceptor AND shooting at a target, because you're still making a shooting attack. Standing on some ridiculously shaky ground, right there :laugh:. Pretty ridiculous that we should even have to resort to nonsense like this to make use of our summoned Bloodthirsters, but what can we do at this point?

Bloodthirster + Be'lakor, really the only way I want to try to use them. Or Bloodthirster + 3 Daemon Princes.

·
Registered
166 Posts
i saw this over on dakka regarding the wording around summoned bloodthirsters...thoughts?

Bloodthirsters are summoned via Blood Tithe at the beginning of your turn. It doesn't say Movement Phase, it says Your Turn which is a very different thing from Movement Phase. Normal Deep Striking units happen at the start of the Movement Phase. Bloodthirsters are summoned before the start of your Movement Phase.

In the Movement Phase during which they arrive, Deep Striking units may not move any further, other than to disembark from a Deep Striking Transport vehicle if they are in one.

Did the Bloodthirster arrive in the Movement Phase?

No. It explicitly says it arrives before the Movement Phase.

Therefore the Deep Strike quote above is irrelevant to the issue, as it only applies to those units that arrive in the Movement Phase.

In fact, the quote only says that those that arrived in the Movement Phase cannot move any further. So the summoned Bloodthirster can not only change flight modes, but can also move normally. However they cannot charge still.

Sequence of events:

1) Bloodthirster is summoned at the Start of Your Turn and is counted at Swooping.

2) Movement Phase begins. You must declare the flight mode as the rules tell you. You can choose to change flight modes now.

That simple. The rule says nothing about Reserves, and the inclusion of the Movement Phase specifically in the Deep Strike rule makes it largely irrelevant to the Bloodthirster summoning.

·
JUGGERNUT
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #72 (Edited)
i saw this over on dakka regarding the wording around summoned bloodthirsters...thoughts?
Ugh, FFS. What a rodeo.

I'm not super adept at all the rules lawyering, but that would seem like a legitimate interpretation, if that is truly based on the RAW. It would certainly make them more useful.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Ugh, FFS. What a rodeo.

I'm not super adept at all the rules lawyering, but that would seem like a legitimate interpretation, if that is truly based on the RAW. It would certainly make them more useful.
I feel like what that person wrote makes more sense then a Bloodthister being usless for two turns. When I play again I will bring that post with me and see what fellow gamers think.

·
Registered
22 Posts
When taking the Blood Host Detachment, do the auxiliary/formations, get to keep their formation bonuses AND the added bonus for taking the BHD?

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
I can't help but think that's wishful thinking rules lawyering. By their interpretation if you chose to stay in Swoop mode you'd have to move at least 12", etc, when they can't move because they Deep Struck... and Deep Striking is the defining aspect of their movement, here. That they came in by Deep Strike pre-selects their type of movement and uses all their ability to move. IIRC, there are other things that happen "at the start of the turn" and "at the start of the movement phase" that happen simultaneously, so the instant your turn has started you are resolving the things--like rolling for Reserves--that happen at the start of the movement phase. You are always in one of your 4 phases, there not being a "pre-phase" limbo to do stuff in.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Actually start of turn is a phase in it self. Though for normal deepstrikes you roll for reserves in start of turn for any units you wish to. But you then deploy them all in movement phase.
So yeah, looks like they should be able to either move 12"-24" that it must do or change flight mode if it wishes.
doesn't help an axe summoned one, and also still cant charge for a turn, but seems a bit more valuable.

·
Craw-Daddy
4,416 Posts
Hey guys, still waiting for my copy, but I'm kind of really exited about any new fluff. I read earlier int he thread about the reason why Kharn was not introduced in the new codex, but is there any other interesting fluff about Khorne that is not traditional?

Been waiting so long for a codex like this to come out and help my fluffy Khorne army, so any information would be greatly appreciated and awarded with rep.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Nah. Khorne is still khorne. He sits on his thorne with his magic sword that can rip reality in 2 and. His throne is still a big pile of skulls. Though it seems like one of the daemonkin chapters likes to siege fortress worlds in the path of oncoming Tyranid fleets hiveships so they can kill them and add planet sized skulls to khornes skull pile By killing the whole beast from the inside.

61 - 80 of 226 Posts