Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Khorne Daemonkin 2000pts

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Malaconia 
#1 ·
I’ve been taking a break from CSM since the last FAQ impaired my infiltrating army. Now with Khorne Daemonkin codex out I am trying to see my army through another perspective. This is what I came up with using almost exclusively minis that I already own.

CAD (Khorne Daemonkin)

HQ
Herald (Joins the large CSM squad)
Exalted Locus of Wrath & Brazen rune
95pts

TROOPS
Chaos Space Marines (14)
2xMelta gun, 12xCC weapon & Bolt pistol, Icon of Wrath, Champion has Axe of Khorne
290pts

Bloodletters (8)
8xHellblade
80pts

HEAVY SUPPORT
Soul Grinder
1xPhlegm bombardment & Harvester cannon
165pts

FORTIFICATION
Chaos Bastion
4xHeavy bolter, 1xIcarus lascannon, Escape hatch
135pts

GOREPACK FORMATION.

Chaos Bikers (3)
2xMeltagun
96pts

Chaos Bikers (3)
2xMeltagun
96pts

Flesh Hounds (5)
80pts

Flesh Hounds (5)
80pts

Flesh Hounds (5)
80pts

CAD (Crimson Slaughter)

HQ
Sorcerer (Joins the large CSM squad)
3xMastery level, Familiar
125pts

Be’lakor
350pts

TROOPS
Cultists (10)
50pts

Cultists (10)
50pts

FORTIFICATION
Firestorm Redoubt
2xQuad Icarus lascannon, Magos Machine Spirit (BS3 upgrade)
230pts

Total 2002pts

In case any of you wonder about the heavy fortification use, I am facing a lot of fliers and skimmers these days. They also work especially well against tyranids whom I come up against frequently and who usually have no good means of destroying AV 14. Other than that I know fortifications can go down fairly easily, but with the rest of the army running towards, prioritizing may not be that easy.

So, Firestorm Redoubt is there to kill flying hive tyrants and stormraven gunships ect… Lone Icarus Lascannon is placed separately. Bloodletters either man it or they deep strike to aid the main assault. Large CSM squad has rage, furious charge, hatred (thanks to herald), fearless (from herald again) and obsec. Sorcerer further buffs them up as does Be’lakor. Invisibility helps a lot. Plan is to use the bastions escape hatch to “throw” them 18’’ towards the enemy while bikers and flesh hounds approach simultaneously. Soul Grinder supports the main assault while cultists hide inside the bunkers holding objectives. That is the plan, at least.

See less See more
#2 ·
seems good. but at 2000 pts you are relying a bit too much on the 15 marines. maybe, if they where 20...

#4 ·
I'll gladly add more CSM, after all every CSM army should have a few of them. Not because of competitive needs mind you, but because the damn army is called Chaos Space Marines. Well, technically Khorne Daemonkin isn't, but anyway, I have plenty of CSM and they are all built in such a way that no two are alike. So, I'll take any chance I can to field more of them.

In this case I'd go no higher than 18 marines though, just so that they still fit inside bastion with the herald and the sorcerer. But if I go this route I've got to shave off 60pts from somewhere... All I can think of is that Icarus Lascannon and one mastery level from the sorcerer. Less AA and warp dice but more bodies. Other option is to drop one squad of Flesh Hounds. That then would give me extra 20pts to spend on something else, like melta bombs. But I don't know, flesh hounds are good for pressuring the enemy early on. Phlegm bombardment is the last upgrade the army doesn't need in order to work, but it does make Soul Grinder better. I've got to say, I am not sure what to drop?

As for the Brazen rune vs. Collar of Khorne. I did consider the collar, it gives a very good protection against psychic powers especially since the squad is already joined by a psyker of their own. But the reason I ended up with the rune is the same reason I am fielding Firestorm Redoubt: Flying Hive Tyrants. They are both annoying and popular. Rune is a way to annoy them, if only for a single turn.

#5 ·
hlegm bombardment is the last upgrade the army doesn't need in order to work, but it does make Soul Grinder better.
you need the grinder for 2 reasons only: good AA and crippling melee. no bombardlement, yes brawling.

#6 · (Edited)
Good point about the bombardment. In this kind of army it is best to focus on aggressive advance. So, I'll drop the phlegm and the icarus lascannon, since I already have AA with the Soul Grinder and the Firestorm Redoubt. This way there is no chance ever that the bloodletters will be manning a gun (which was kind of unfluffy in the first place) and Soul Grinder too will strive towards the bloody melee. With the freed up 65pts I'll buy the extra marines and one melta bomb for the sorcerer, just so that they get some defense against fights (for example against AV 13 walkers) where they have no chance of damaging the enemy otherwise.

#7 ·
This way there is no chance ever that the bloodletters will be manning a gun (which was kind of unfluffy in the first place)
But think about the hilarity. Bloodletters SHOOTING and doing it well than sternguard marines. Absolutely trolling.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.