Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all! The other morning, while I was working on my hierophant, I dropped a bottle of liquid water on a box of chaos marine figures. This is what it looked like afterward.

Now, rather than be upset about it, I figured that I'd look at the bright side: I have an excuse to get around to magnetizing and converting the terminators that have been mocking me from the shelf for a year. Also, I have an excuse to start a project that I can finish in a reasonable amount of time. Unlike a scratch-built bio-titan. So here's the terminator squad that I'll be working with:

Step one: Harvest Khornate bunny ears to attach to their hoods:

Here's most of the bits that I'll be working with, pried apart and laid out, note that all of the guys now have bunny ears attached.

Magnets!

Next step: remove all those silly demon faces that are all over the terminator armor:

And the last step for today, freehand an icon of Khorne on the back of a terminator, and World Eater teeth on the shoulder pads.

Soon, I'll finish the shoulder pads, add khornate decorations where those faces were, and find some way to keep the arms magnetic and replacable whilst allowing the shoulder pads to remain fixed. I do not plan on sculpting 27 of those things.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Yep those look like the standard Khornate terminator fair. Congrats on not just going the easy way, and modeling a icon on a single motel or just painting them differently.

·
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
1,443 Posts
Ah khorne termis..... I hate them, not that dont think they look good but they ruined my chances in a tourney that i really wanted to win:ireful2:. Anyways thay look good so far good job.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Progress! Fresh resin bases:

My permanent shoulder pad fix:

I have to figure out why my bases aren't curing all the way. This is the second batch that's come out tacky. I think that I'm either not using enough catalyst, or the resin I used is just crap. (It's "Castin' Craft" brand clear resin that I got at Michael's because I had a 40% off coupon) If it doesn't cure fully by tonight, I may try dripping catalyst onto the outside to try to cure it to full solidity.

Then I have to finish the shoulder pads I've started and get to the left-hand shoulder pads. I'm not sure if I'll do them the same way or if I'll make a bunch of pre-heresy type ones (Like in this tut http://fromthewarp.blogspot.com/2009/01/pre-heresy-terminator-shoulder-pads.html) I'd only have to make fifteen. Only. But I think that the asymmetry would look good and fit the chaos thing pretty well.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They stand! And their shoulder pads are now attached forever.

I'm going to grind the plasticard rectangles down to boot soles before I slap them on their bases (Which have lost much of their tack all on their own). I also might end up ordering an etched brass Khorne symbols plate thing from FW, but I'm not sure about that yet. I need something to fill in all the spaces where silly demon faces once were.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Everyone: Look for another update tonight, and thanks for the support!

Everyone who's encouraging paint: I'll have to practice on some 'Zerkers first; in 5k points of combined armies, I've somehow managed to get away with having only painted three gaunts. Don't want to mess up a quality conversion with a novice paint job.

Graf: If you only want the one, I'd suggest starting with the plastic chaos terminator lord. The extra bits more than make it worth it you know how badly we CSM players got screwed in the availability of options department.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Great work. Can't wait to see them finished!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lies! All LIES! Check for an up tomorrow; all I've accomplished is finishing (mostly) boot soles for the guys. On the plus side, I acquired tiny chains and rivets with which to stud their armor. So I'm going to go home and accomplish more, and then when I get back to the internet tomorrow, I'll post something then.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Alright, quick update:
Boots:

And studded armor:

Made with Martha Stewart rivets:

I think this rivet thing has potential. Drill small holes to sink them, a little glue applied with a needle, and you're done. Ish. I think I'll brush on a layer of watered down white glue, because they keep falling off.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeah, I'm finding that they don't really stick that well, but my hope is that once I have a white glue wash and some paint over them, they'll be alright. The bottle was 4.99 at Michael's, in the scrapbooking section. (Not somewhere I normally hang out, but I heard someone say they found some there). Super glue gel. I think that unless they turn into a real nightmare to work with, it'll be worth it to not have to make a ton of rivets somehow.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Make Chaotic Tau! That was my plan if I ever started a third army, but I don't think I'm going to. I want to see it done though.

·
Angryman
4,304 Posts
Impressive looking terminators. Lots of small but cool conversions that make a huge difference. Very neat gs work too.

·
Registered
156 Posts
The bases are quite interesting. Any shots of the unit as a whole on the bases yet?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts