Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Premium Member
12,822 Posts
Mortars, Helstorms, and Flame Cannons is where it's all at these days matey.

It's reasonable to expect him to survive, but he's I1, and T6 - which basically means that he's striking last against a lot of units which are capable of putting out a serious amount of harm towards him, despite the 2+ Save. I don't know why, but Scaly skin is included in the Lore of Metal - annoying as fuck, as Searing Bolt will eat straight through him - it's not as though he's exempt from the counter magic.

if you're going for a monster, Galrauch is far harder - +5 to cast, knows all spells, capable of instagibbing an enemy character in an challenge (breath weapon = 2D6 toughness tests or die with no saves allowed), 3 Breath Attacks in total, including the fact that he can use poison and fire breath in the same phase for an additional 4D6 damage, and thunderstomp.

He has a 6+ Ward Save - which is reasonable - but back him up with dual shrine, and you're looking toasty when you can give him 3++ and MR3.

Combined with his Fly, and I6, and you're rolling. I can't see a reason why anyone would take heavens - firstly against WoC, as there's so few flyers, they lack KB, and Poison, so Curse doesn't have as much of an effect - Iceshard loses half of its effectiveness as there's no shooting worth taking, Convergence is really only of use if you can back it up with making wounds on 2's, or with 2+ AS's - against WoC, due to their strength and toughness, that negates a lot of units, Thunderbolt, D6 hits? Horrendous, despite the Strength, comet is the only spell that's reasonable, as it just closes off an approach, but due to the Lore, rest assured, that it will have dispells saved just for that. Chain Lightning would be hilarious if you kept all of your units within 12" of Kholek.

Target Trolls, Oh wait, Armour of the Storm, negates, frenzied Kholek, roll a dice, 1-3 negates, 4-6, choose another unit, oh shit, armour of the storm, negates, roll again etc.

But yeah, there's no real reason that someone will take LoH against WoC when the meta game says LoM/Death is a must. Skink Priests are rare these days now you can go dual Frog.

Remember that your list needs at least 2420points to be able to field Kholek. Of course, you can upgrade further, etc.

First thing I'd say would say drop the BSB - Throgg passes the reroll benefit onto Galrauch, Kholek, trolls, Ogres, Dragon Ogres, Warhounds, Giants, Shaggoths, Characters on Dragons, Manticores, and, best of all, Hellcannons. This gives you another 150 ish points to stock up on more Trolls.

Personally, I wouldn't run him until 3K, but as I said, I'd run Galrauch - this is my hoped for 3.5K list.

Galrauch, the Great Drake = 616

The Troll King Throgg = 175
Sorceror, L2, Lore of Death, Stream of Corruption, Infernal Puppet, Opal Amulet = 190
Sorceror, L2, Lore of Tzeentch, Skull of Katam, Third Eye of Tzeentch = 210

6 Trolls = 270
6 Trolls = 270
6 Trolls = 270
6 Trolls = 270

4 Dragon Ogres, GW, AHW, Champion = 360
4 Dragon Ogres, GW, AHW, Champion = 360

Chaos Warshrine, Mark of Tzeentch = 150
Chaos Spawn = 55

The Death Sorceror is aiming for Soulblight first of all (to make his Stream of Corruption deadlier, and let trolls wound on 2's, and also to let Galrauch just instagib pretty much anything he touches), but also if possible Doom and Darkness - combine with Pandaemonium, (and of course, the required Doll), and an army of Fear/Terror causers, and I'm looking at a potential 3's to hit, 2's to wound, hit back on 5's, wounded on 5's, regen save, if 2 are passed, then I roll on Eye of the Gods thanks to MM.

Dragon Ogres are severely underrated thanks to Knights - but with the new Stomp Rule, and the capability for 13 S7/17 S5 Attacks, they can really dish the dirt, and with a Champion benefitting from Eye of the Gods, they are really very nasty. Combine that with 16 wounds, and not losing hitting power until they suffer 4 wounds, and they'll walk through most hordes.

· Premium Member
12,822 Posts
He does? Ld9 with a reroll? I've had that happen only once before in about 5 games of using him - I know chaos theory and all that, but the average of failing that is about 2%, or once in every 50 turns.

Good catch about the BSB though. I'lll probably swap the SoK Sorceror (not really needed) for the BSB.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.