Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
It is obviously because they underestimated demand. This has been observed a million times already. The supply they ordered goes to stores and to their website for sale, not news, this just sounds like pointless complaining.

Giant fucking eye roll.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
They obviously placed the order for all End Times books all at the same time. It takes months to print these things. They aren't consecutively making the same mistake for each book over and over. And the turn around time at printers is measured in months as well, so they can't reprint them on demand.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I don't see anywhere that the End Times books are limited. You can't just "print more" without the printing company moving you to the back of the queue.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Indeed the lack of outward communication from GW is quite bizarre. If they sinply told us what the hell was going on, less people might impulsively freak out about the limited supply .

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
True, but can that really work? I mean, it's not like they need to generate sales, obviously this End Times thing was a hit. My money is on some moron thinking "oh, 1000 copies of each is enough". I work for a printing company and you would be amazed how many people have to come back and get more cause they underestimated their demand.

And we will treat that like a NEW order, as in "get back in line and reorder". It's not like when they forget your fries at mcdonalds and you can politely ask for them as you already paid. It's more like missing a train, they'll make you stand there and wait for the next one, not stop it in it's tracks and let you catch up.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
While I credit with GW with enormous bureaucratic and admin/accountancy based stupidity, yes, this is the case.

LE sales IRL work that way - and this is one of the few times it has actually been worth it. Look how BL LE's started. Promethean Sun, Aurelian, Brotherhood of the Storm... and now, they have more LE's than they've had standard releases for HH, and LE's released more than a year ago are still unsold.

With the poor reviews and the search for pirated copies (2 years was a long time to wait), they've learned.

As you've said, it takes a long time to order prints. Where they may have underestimated Book 1, they've underestimated book 2 and 3, and within days of book 2 being sold out, a soft copy was announced.

If enough hype is generated, it's self sustaining, and GW are "crash selling" to ride off that high of sales and propaganda, which will then leave a void that 9th edition will easily fill.

Then again, GW might be just stupid - that's a military push tactic - push something, wait for the push back, and fall back on the push, and then slip through the hole. bait and switch, really.
Yeah, as a company that releases such high quality books, you'd expect them to be pretty careful about all of the above. Granted, I do NOT deny that the scarcity of the End Times books is generating hype, it just seems so clumsy, haha.

My theory is that they ordered all of the End Times (and hopefully not 9th Ed O_O) at the same time, so the limited availability will likely happen with all of them. And as for the soft cover books, I actually work in a department that handles the "Oh shit, we didn't order enough!". PrePress will do their voodoo to convert a book like.... 40k's 7th BRB into a workable .pdf, that we can use to spit out the text, then spit out the covers, and head over to a perfect binding machine, which we load the soft covers into, and the text, ONE AT A TIME, to do runs of 1 to 1000 (1000 was our largest and took about 2 days to do with 4 shifts)

Regardless, without a doubt, the scarcity only works in their favor. There is no LGS in the world that isn't saying "OH SHIT, THE END TIMES!"

1 - 6 of 6 Posts