Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since the 2012 Painting Challenge is scheduled to begin in a few days, I thought I'd create the PLOG that I'll use for the Challenge (and afterward). This will be my painting log for all things Lizardman like.

I have to go home this weekend and do an inventory of what I have and what I need.

From memory I think I have:

1 20 model unit of Temple Guard (2 months)
1 20 model unit of Saurus Warriors(2 months)
a bunch of Skinks (2 months) [Update: 48 models- At LEAST two months.]
Two Salamander Teams (1 or 2 month)
ONe Razorback Team (1 month)
A Stegodon (1 month)
Three Terradons (OOOOOLLLLLLDDDDD Models! 1 month)
SWARM BASES (3) (1 month)
and an odd assortment of special characters, etc. (1 month)

That totals 12 months already in the "waiting to be painted" pile.

I have a Slann ordered and, when it comes in, Midge913 wants to paint it and enter it into a Painting Competition.

More later as I get organized.

Like the 2011 Painting Challenge, I intend to post pictures in my Army Showcase of the models as they are at the beginning of the Challenge and gradually replace them with the painted models as the Challenge progresses.

I did this with my Dark Elf Army and now my Showcase is full of painted models. It gave me a visual "checklist" of things to do and things that were done. (check it out at the link below)

.... now all I have to do is learn how to play with them....

·
Unfinished Project King
7,409 Posts
Me too:security:

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Kerotk's Army is now Showcased.....

Well, I've now updated my Lizardman Army Showcase to include some of the models I have ready to paint for the 2012 Painting Challenge Follow the link below to get to the Showcase.

I've decided to start the month of March with the 3rd and 4th rank of a 20 model Saurus unit.

Saurus Unit 1 with Spears (Click on the pic to enlarge).

This will be a good starting place. The back ranks of a 20 model unit will let me transition from the Red / Grey / Black / Purple of my Dark Elves to the blues of the Lizardmen.

I decided that I am not going to vary the GW color scheme that much. After a bit of searching I found these pictures of Poison Arrow Frogs ..... I think that I will use the bright Blue, Yellow, and Black as the basic guideline for the Army.

·
Señor Member
563 Posts
They will look bad ass once painted in that scheme!

·
Unfinished Project King
7,409 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Thats a great idea using reference pics for colour scheme ideas. I'll be following again mate - looking forward to seeing your army progress.:)

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
And they are off!!!.......

Ok, the starting flag has dropped on the 2012 Army Painting Challenge. Here is my first entry in the Challenge....

...the third and fourth rank of a 20 model Saurus Warrior unit. I have until March 31 to wrap them up.

Kerotk's Anvil - Saurus Warriors, Unit 1, Ranks 3 and 4 (Clik on pic for a larger version)

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Ohhh wow, those frogs look gorgeous, I wonder why I never thought of that. Durrr! Want to paint my Lizardmen and send them back? LMAO! Just teasing mate, I am sure these are going to look super.

Good luck brotha!

Regards,
DoE

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
WIP Kerotk's Lizardmen

March's Challenge is to paint the 3rd and 4th ranks of my first Saurus Unit armed with Spears.
The challenge with this first unit is to settle on the painting scheme.

As mentioned earlier I will be staying with the basic blue theme for the Lizardguys, but am considering painting all Skinks in the bright yellow and black scheme of the Poison Arrow Frog reference pics. Right now, I don't paint yellow very well so this will force me to learn how to paint it. I figure 48 to 60 Skink models will teach me how to paint yellow if anything will.....

In the fluff of the Lizardmen codex it states that as the Individuals age their armour gets harder and fades, lightening in tone. That being the case I started a base coat of my Saurus with the following mix:

5:3:2 mix of Turquoise (VGC#72024):Magic Blue(VGC#72021):Dead White(VGC#720001)

This makes a brilliant light blue to use as a base color (see pics below). To lighten it I will add more Dead White for the Scar Veterans/Old Bloods.

I originally applied it in a very thin and watered down coat over a white primer base as I wanted it to dry in a splotchy pattern, given that these are organic individuals without a lot of armour. However, it did not cover very well and I ended up repainting it with another coat of paint. I do have one model that I am using as a test model in the pic.

I am trying to decide on either a darker blue or a medium grey for the scales on each model. I will probably paint up a test model or two in both colors and see which I like best.... or.... randomize different shades of blue and grey. Hmmmmmm....... perhaps the spikes should be painted as Bone....

The Spear shafts are bamboo. I will go back and paint a dark angels Green set of rings on each to illustrate the bamboo sections. The spear tip will be of stone, grey with a wash of Badab Black, and all metal will be gold.

Anyway, pics (Ok, I know they don't look like much with sloppy basecoats, but this is how I keep myself on track. I try to post each week. That keeps me focused on making some progress each week. Comments are welcome.)

·
Unfinished Project King
7,409 Posts
Looking good so far!

·
Registered
614 Posts
Man, are you really going to mix repeated batches of 5:2:1 colors? ;) They are a great star. keep posting progress.

I do ahve one question, though. Is that the move tray you are going with? I wondered why you choose gravel for a bunch of jungle dwelling critters. Wouldn't be my first choice, just wondering what led you to that.

·
Señor Member
563 Posts
Looking really good so far! I am eagerly awaiting progress! Will the Saurus of the entire unit be the same colour or will the Champion be lighter?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Man, are you really going to mix repeated batches of 5:2:1 colors? ;) They are a great star. keep posting progress.

I do ahve one question, though. Is that the move tray you are going with? I wondered why you choose gravel for a bunch of jungle dwelling critters. Wouldn't be my first choice, just wondering what led you to that.
Looking really good so far! I am eagerly awaiting progress! Will the Saurus of the entire unit be the same colour or will the Champion be lighter?
Great questions gents.
Kjell:
1. Nope. Now that I've decided on the mix I will make up a batch and put it in an empty pot.... although slight differences in the mix for organic models would add realism.
2. The movement tray happened to be one at hand when I ranked them up for the picture. If I do use gravel it will be a smaller grit than on this tray and static grass will be added...
Carna:
1. The color of the champion will be lighter by adding a few more drops of Dead White to the overall mix.

Thanks for checking in and I'll keep you posted......

BTW does anyone have tips for painting yellow? I am thinking about my Skinks and more and more I want to have yellow/orange Skinks running around with the blue Sauri....

·
Señor Member
563 Posts
Iyanden Darksun? is your friend I think. As for the lighter colour, you know how it says it denotes age? Isn't every unit 'spawned' at the same time?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Iyanden Darksun? is your friend I think. As for the lighter colour, you know how it says it denotes age? Isn't every unit 'spawned' at the same time?
No. I believe that it says that every member of a unit is spawned at the same time. Different units are spawned as needed and tend to come out slightly different than other units as the needs of the Lizardmen change.

That being said, the Champions of my units are the survivors from earlier spawnings who are battle tested and have developed the experience (as well as the tougher hide) to be a cut above the rest of the unit and so are made leaders of units of later spawnings. Given that, they would be lighter, more scarred, and otherwise be distinct from the rest of the Sauri in the unit.

(in reality, I intend to incorporate Saurus Old Bloods/Scar Veterans as Champions where I can)

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Test Models---Lizarddude Sauri

OK, team. I have several Lizarddudes Saurus test models I'd like to lift up for review and comment.

On the far left, the first test model uses dark blue for the scales with a wash of Thraka Green, while the spikes and head flange are medium Grey washed with thinned Asureman Blue.

The middle model uses a medium grey for the scales with a wash of Asureman Blue and uses Khemri Brown for the spikes and head flange. Eventually the Khemri base coat will be layered up to Bone White.

The final test model, on the right, uses dark reds for the scales, similar to one of the GW schemes in the Lizardmen Codex, then is washed with thinned Leviathan Purple and it also uses the Khemri/Bone White scheme for the Spikes/Head flange.

I'd like some input on the scheme that seemes to be the the best. Note: These are TEST models. I made no attempt on these models to clean up mold lines and details with these models. I just wanted to get a feel for different combinations.

Hmmmmm.....
I COULD randomly use all three schemes....
...they are similar enough to tie together but the differences could indicate different spawnings....
...and since I ultimately intend on having a minimum of three Saurus 20+ model units tromping around on the table, snarling at the monkey boys .....

Thoughts????

1 - 20 of 51 Posts