Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yes, that's right heretics, i've gone all horde nuts. as soon as i saw the models from the IOB boxed set, i decided that it was high time i dove back into the WFB world.

so i went straight out and bought a box of Stormvermin, and Warlord Queek Headtaker to get me started.

the primary colours of this army are mecherite red, dheneb stone, and charadon granite, all doused with liberal coats of devlan mud. this scheme will be carried out throughout the army. without further ado, here's some snaps...[as a side note, i suck at digital photography - the models look significantly better "in the flesh"]

full regiment [x20 Stormvermin]

command

troop selection

Queek Headtaker

i entered Queek into a painting competition at my local GW store, on the IOB release day, and he won! needless to say, i'm pretty pleased with him.

some of the IOB Clanrats and Weapons Teams will follow fairly shortly. enjoy, heretics - comments and criticism are always welcome.

·
Registered
151 Posts
these are realy nicely painted i realy like the metal of squeeks and the standard bearers weapons i have done exactly the same and went out and went skaven mad i now have a 2k army still in the boxes :grin: i look forward to seeing more of this

and well done on the painting comp

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
the horde grows...

so, i've been neglecting posting in favour of actually engaging in this wonderful hobby of ours - the last month has seen a flurry of painting, and gaming.

things are grim on the gaming front - i simply don't have enough bodies to throw at my enemies at the moment. that, however is starting to change...

first up, we have 20 clanrats [from the iob boxed set]. the other 20 are finished and i'm halfway through adding another 20 rats to that unit, so they'll get posted in the not too distant future...anyhoo, have some pictures!

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
weapons teams

like i said, i've been busy painting. here's some shots of my two finished weapons teams. i didn't really nail the attempt at green flames on the warpfire thrower, but otherwise i'm pretty pleased with these models.

note - still struggling with lighting the models while taking photos. if anyone has any links to tutorials or advice on shooting models with a digital slr camera, it would be most appreciated...

comments and criticism most welcome...

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rat ogres and master moulder

title says it all really...

...the giant rats are just a movement tray filler, my ocd will not allow me to have empty spots! :biggrin:

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
warlord spinetail and warlock engineer

again, the hint is in the title...

i feel like i rushed this model a bit - the blending / high-lighting, especially on the skin, is not as crisp as i would like. but given the amount of time i actually spent on him [around 3hrs total - over several evenings], the result is certainly good enough to set him down on the gaming table and not be completely ashamed of myself :biggrin:

the warlock was also painted very quickly, but i'm much happier with him. i like the warpstone blade the most...

...at some point i will go back and add some warpstone glow effects to these models...

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Darkly delightful. I'm not sure what it is about these, probably the red eyes, but they look evil. Like, real evil. Your painting skills are certainly some of the better ones on Heresy, and I applaud you for that alone. Have some rep mate, keep up the excellent work! :)

·
Super Moderator
8,563 Posts
Aesthetic overload!

I might have to go and look at a beige wall for a while to recover.

I especially like the restrained use of verdigris.

My only slight quibble is with the burning rat.

The warp fire on the rat where it makes me think someone has dyed the fur and spiked it up; unless that was what you intended, in which case Rat Scabies for the win!

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The warp fire on the rat where it makes me think someone has dyed the fur and spiked it up; unless that was what you intended, in which case Rat Scabies for the win!
indeed, sir. when i hear "warpfire" i think green flames. i failed to pull off the effect - i'll go back and repaint, or just try it again on the next model!

@ everyone - thanks for all the kind words so far. i've just started cleaning my doomwheel, so expect pics of that phenomenal model in the next week or so...

peace out heretics!

·
The Yellow King
890 Posts
100% awesome im looking at collecting Brettonians but your log has made me second guess my decision (still going brets though!) totally amazing paintjobs

+rep

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
for those curious about joining the ranks of the under-empire [which i thoroughly recommend, as Skaven are huge amounts of fun to play], i whipped up a quick clanrat painting tutorial which can be found here...

·
Unfinished Project King
7,409 Posts
Looking great! I too have an IoB set sitting on a shelf and plan on cracking it open at some point. I hope my stuff turns out half as good as yours. Thanks for posting the tutorial it should come in handy when I finally start putting brush to model.

On a final note your rat ogres look amazing!+rep

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
@ everyone - thanks so much for the comments. totally motivates me to get more painted up and posted! speaking of which -

thought i'd post a couple of wip photos of my doomwheel, which is taking far longer to complete than i thought...it's a sweet model, but there's lots of fiddly bits. and the fact that i keep getting distracted doesn't help either!!

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
oh, almost forgot - i picked up a really sweet resin base for the above wheel of doominess on eBay, by a small English company called Fantascape. it's from there "Wyrdstone Mines" set and i love it! they don't have a website yet, but they have some other cool bases on eBay, and there's apparently a facebook page too.

in short, think they're great! now, the pics [still very much wip...]

·
Super Moderator
8,563 Posts
...thought i'd post a couple of wip photos of my doomwheel, which is taking far longer to complete than i thought...it's a sweet model, but there's lots of fiddly bits....
You seem to be proceeding well.

...the fact that i keep getting distracted doesn't help either!!
I feel your pain; every time I think I have a free day so I can find time to model something happens... expletive water leak... mutter....

1 - 20 of 77 Posts