Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ahoy friends! I've been out of the scene since 3rd edition but after talking about how cool all of the new models are, my wife bought me the dark vengeance box so i'm jumping back in. I have to say that even after 20ish years of time away, the new rules seem way more streamlined and I was able to pick it up again pretty quick.

I'll building a chaos army and have a boatload of questions but figured I'd post those over in the army list forum.

Other thigns about me...i've been practicing brazilian jiu jitsu for 5 years and hold the rank of blue belt. I also love fast motorcycles and spend a couple weekends a year at a race track riding around.

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
Welcome back to the hobby!

Any particular chaos path seduced you......?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh i have always liked melee combat so I am a lover of Khorne, through and through. I know that Khrone lists aren't a min/maxer's dream but i'm just playing for fun and figure that on those occasions where I am able to cleave my enemies in twain with Kharn, or a Jugger lord, or some zerkers it will be all worth it!

Plus i love the red and gold color palate of the khornate.

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
Welcome back.

You will find lots of help here building a chaos force so ask around in general 40k and other sections to get answers. Also once you start building post pics of your growing army in the modeling section.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Welcome back man ! I've also been out of it since 3rd edition it's great to see someone else has also decided to get back into the hobby after a long absence :)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome back to the hobby!

Any particular chaos path seduced you......?
Khorne for sure! Love the melee stuff and general lore there.

Welcome back.

You will find lots of help here building a chaos force so ask around in general 40k and other sections to get answers. Also once you start building post pics of your growing army in the modeling section.

Finished (mostly) my first model over new years. Didn't turn out too bad for such a long time away from painting anything at all.

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
Hi and welcome back to the fold!

I can see you're going for a World Eaters theme. That is pretty darn good for your first model in a decade! You got some good lines, and a precision that is much sought after by new painters.

If you want some tips for next steps or just sparring for your painting, let me know - I will glady help you out :)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tips are always appreciated! I was actually aiming for the more vibrant red of crimson slaughter but I don't think i hit the highlights well enough. The work up was as follows:

Black primer
Mephiston red spray
Agrax wash
Mephiston red, evil suns scarlet, and wild rider red highlights

I tried dry brushing all of the highlights which is something i think i'll try to improve on his squadmates. The edges worked out ok but i think on the broader surfaces if i had used reguar technique with the mephiston it would have brought the red up a lot more.

The other thing i'll changed is painting the weapons all black before doing the metal highlights, the red spray that is peaking out on some of the edge's annoys me, lol.

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
I was actually aiming for the more vibrant red of crimson slaughter but I don't think i hit the highlights well enough. The work up was as follows:

Black primer
Mephiston red spray
Agrax wash
Mephiston red, evil suns scarlet, and wild rider red highlights
Aaah you're aiming for my favorite warband I see - When you say a more vibrant red, I think you hit the red well enough. The problem I see is that you have not enough contrast in the outer edges to really make it pop.

A example is this guy.

It's one of the first I did in the theme and I end up with Wazdakka Red, which is nearly as bright as Mephiston red. It looks alot more crisp, however, because it is set up against the dark edges.

To make a colour really pop, you don't necessarily need a strong colour - But you need a strong contrast. I would work on trying to get more dark in your armour instead, as the colour you have is good. You can do this in many ways, but the easiest one is multiple layers of wash.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ah, i hadn't thought of making the red pop more by adding more shadowing! I worked on the other 4 raptors last night and got them to the wash stage. I'll try layering up them up with another coat or two of wash.

Do you still follow the same general order (multiple washes then highlight) or would you do some highlighting between the layers of wash?

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
Do you still follow the same general order (multiple washes then highlight) or would you do some highlighting between the layers of wash?
Actually, the red on the armor is one of the few where I don't do a wash per say. The way I get the red above is this way;

- Prime in black
- Base with Screamer Pink
- Layer the edges with a 1/1/1 mix of Screamer Pink / Rhinox Hide / Lahmian Medium (gets kinda runny, so I suppose this could count as a wash)
- Highlight the inner parts with a 1/1 mix of Screamer Pink / Wazdakka red
- Final highlight is with Wazdakka Red.

It's a untraditional way of doing it, as you start out with a almost brown base and yes, it does take quite a while as you are builing up the color gradually. But the effect is very good, if you can live with having very (!) pink marines when starting out :p

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
Khorne for sure! Love the melee stuff and general lore there.
This also pleases Grandfather. Death is his Gift to all things..... :crazy:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts