Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
There's a short story in one of the early BL anthologies about a squad of marines jumping from a thunderhawk from a great height, and only using the jump pack to slow their descent enough not to kill them on landing. They still hit the ork horde that was the target with the same impact as an artillery barrage, and proceeded to dump the packs as they were now just too clumsy.

As to the point about the seemingly more efficient IG packs, they only have to carry a tiny fraction of the weight that a SM pack must be able to lift, therefore it's easier to make them that bit more efficient.

I see the marine ones as similar to booster rockets on a missile. A simple system of getting a payload to a target as quickly as possible. It doesn't need to do anything else. There's other units more capable and better suited to dealing with any other task

·
Registered
326 Posts
In terms of the game, isnt it possible to jump into poor terrain? Doesnt that suggest a certain lack of fine control?

·
Registered
39 Posts
The Luna Wolves will be using jetpacks like Raptors use. The current SM's are using Jump Packs. Trying to use one as a reference for the other is like comparing apples to oranges.

·
The Emperor Protects
5,262 Posts
I'm sorry but their is absoloutely no evidence to suggest in the slightest they are any different. Your saying the Imperium in fact downgraded their assault marines capabilites? what a excellent sounding idea. And in point of fact, Abnett describes the marines as having jump packs not jet packs in Horus Rising and then again Anthony Reynolds in Scions of the Storm described the Word Bearers under Sor Talgronas using jump packs

And i wouldn't use ingame rules a solid refrence on what things are actually capable of in the fluff.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
I'm sure in Nightbringer Captain Idaeus uses a Jump Pack to get to the bridge supports doesn't he? Or am I remembering that completely wrong?

If right, that'd suggest atleast some sort of fairly decent control mid flight.
No he doesn't use a jump pack, and yes the jump packs of 40k are of a lesser quality to those during the Heresy- they are easier to produce though, that's why they're so widely used by Chapters.

Jump Pack abilities changes from author to author so I think the only thing we can agree on is that it gets the Marines in the air, what they do when their boots leave the ground is up to you.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Ironically, this has been on my mind of late as I just started reading Hunt for Voldurious. In the opening Chapters, a White Scar strike force is on the hunt for chaos 'wabbits'. A formation of Rhino transports and cycles is being covered from the air by some T-hawks and 2 squads of assault marines. Yes, the assault marines were flying - not hovering, not jumping, flying.

The fact that it got published as such would suggest that the BL (and GW) is cool with the notion of flying SMs.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Actually yeah I am saying that the Imperium downgraded thier assault marines. I'm not saying that did it on purpose though.
There is a lot of stuff that was around during the heresy but isn't available now. One good example is the Imperial Jetbike. There is only one and that is used by the Ravenwing Master.

Also when it comes to BL I wouldn't take what the authors write as law/lore. Especially with HH. Unlike some other franchises, (eg Star Wars) BL/GW don't seem to have a person or group of people going through the books looking for inconsistances. And since they have never said exactly how things work or look in some cases they authors are allowed to take some poetic license with certain things.

·
The Emperor Protects
5,262 Posts
Yes but several sources have now been cited for having space marines using their jump packs for more than just crude 'jumps'. Like Baron said it's all just going to depend on the author or you on how you want to believe jump packs work

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yes but several sources have now been cited for having space marines using their jump packs for more than just crude 'jumps'. Like Baron said it's all just going to depend on the author or you on how you want to believe jump packs work
I agree. I just wish GW would get their act together and describe how certain things work properly and stop letting different authors take artistic license with them. I've even seen different descriptions of plasma shots.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts