Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if you guys could elaborate a little on how jump packs work. Are they more like Jet packs, meaning they could stay airborne for a longer distance ? Could they fly for a few miles ? or is it literally just jumping.

Is the blast from the jump pack quite small ? I imagine the guy at the back of the squad just getting singed. Also when they land do you know if there is a suppression blast to stop them breaking their legs ?

Most importantly how the hell do they control them as well ? Is it hardwired through to their brains or on their belts ?

sorry for the wall of questions.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
DOW2 is a good description and show of hot it works. Its a power pack with Huge Thrusters to allow short burst for lift and short burst to soften landings. I have some OOP Jump Packs for Raptors and put them on my generic CSMs as Raptors. Didnt feel to right cause the new Raptors have a modified, sleek, Talon foot, armore. My are CSMs with Old School Raptor Jump Packs. The armore would have to be different I feel. To compesate for landing and achiving air to ground comabt. The SMs though wear PA with a Jump Pack. Weird.

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts

·
The Emperor Protects
5,262 Posts
I'm pretty sure they can control them once in mid-air not simply forced to make a jump in that direction. The ones the Phantine Skyborne Imperial Guard use allow them to go up, hover around, turn etc. Sure the working are different but i imagine the elite units of the Imperium woulndt have such a crude mechanism as jump forward a bit in tht direction and come crashing down. Also in Horus Rising the Luna Wolf assault marines ascend to the top of the tower on theirs and neatly land at the top

·
Registered
375 Posts
I would imagine its something where its not just simply a boost in the air but more of a controlled jet turbine that increases and decreases the amount of propulsion they need, probably through a link into their power armour. It's sort of like the jet pack in Warhawk, you can stay and move in the air but also get a temporary boost in speed in a certain direction.

·
Registered
152 Posts
If you watch the trailer for the new third-person shooter "Space Marine" you'll see a stormboy flying around like Superman with his jump pack. But I guess that's the same as looking at DoW for lore.

·
Registered
592 Posts
If you watch the trailer for the new third-person shooter "Space Marine" you'll see a stormboy flying around like Superman with his jump pack. But I guess that's the same as looking at DoW for lore.
No, that's kind of correct. It's a missile, strapped on his back. Missiles DO have the ability to fly a long distance ;)

But Space Marines have jump packs, keyword being Jump. They allow for a short burst that gets you up and lets gravity take you down. It can not be used for prolonged flight, regardless of what C.S. Goto might write.

The Raptors have jet packs though, if my memory serves me right. They can, and often use, prolonged flights. I seem to remember the ending scene of Lord of the Night has raptors flying around.

·
The Emperor Protects
5,262 Posts
To quote Guns of Tanith "standard imperial guard variant of the assault jump pack. Smaller and lighter, not to mention more compact than the heavy jobs used by the Adeptus Astartes." They call theirs jump packs, yet like i said they keep them in the air, can stay up and direct themselves. And the very way they are compared to the Astartes jump packs make them sound like much the same thing. Like i said why would the astartes by equipped with such a less efficent system.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Probaly becuase Land Speeders perfom good enough Air Power. The ability to Descend from the sky and pound into the heart of enemy formations is all the Jump Pack is for. Their is no air H2H combat for Marines. Its just a quick effeceint shock tatic type of Jump Pack. Im sure you could fly short periods and steer in a direction, just nothing fancy has ever been shown. Not like Tau Battle Suits.

·
The Emperor Protects
5,262 Posts
The effectiveness of a landspeeder is beside the point, i'm not saying their going to fly around shooting and fighting people in mid air, but im fairly certain there more efficent and effective than a simple Wild E Cayote style jump forward. And again in Horus Rising they come straight up, land gently and seem in perfect control of their packs, not just a kick up the arse in a given direction. I'll scour more fluff if i have to but the notion that they are so crude and one dimensional doesnt sit right at all

·
Registered
394 Posts
The effectiveness of a landspeeder is beside the point, i'm not saying their going to fly around shooting and fighting people in mid air, but im fairly certain there more efficent and effective than a simple Wild E Cayote style jump forward. And again in Horus Rising they come straight up, land gently and seem in perfect control of their packs, not just a kick up the arse in a given direction. I'll scour more fluff if i have to but the notion that they are so crude and one dimensional doesnt sit right at all
If I had to guess I'd say astartes jump packs are capable of doing pretty much anything the phantine's jetpacks can do. As you pointed out the Luna wolves can use theirs with finesse.

However the purpose of astartes jet packs is to get them to the thick of the fighting as quickly as possible. Assault marines use chainswords and pistols for the most part so I think flying in a straight line or hovering slowly towards a target is not what the astartes packs were made for.

·
The Emperor Protects
5,262 Posts
sure i agree with that, they are a massive pyschological weapon and i know there not gonna be used for ponderous flight across the battlefield. Im just saying they can do more than just 'jump' a marine forwards

·
Registered
542 Posts
I'm not sure how they work either. My best guess it that they are primarly used to give their assault troops more momentum when they land on their enemies. Though, if I took the game DOW literally that would be one hell of an impact. Don't know how they would survive that.
It's the 41st Millennium, thats just how it works(Also the game was made by the brits, so you don't ask questions you just roll with it.)

Here is how I think of jump packs working-

Imperial Guard-They just look at the direction they want to fly, hit GO and hope for the best.

Ork-Why does if work? Why does anything orky work? Because orks think it will.

Marine/SoB- Since they have packs attached to their armor, there are sensors inside the armor that maneuver the pack. I don't know if the Imperium can have it be a nuro link, though.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Well, the SM neuro-link has been there for a long time in the fluff. It's one of the functions of the black caparace IIRC.

And I guess that the SM could use the jump packs for short directed flights. If you look at some of the art and novels, it seems to indicate that. However, longer flights are very fuel and heat inefficient and simply make you an easy target, so they wouldn't be used for that unless needed (Anyone that has played the last HALO game knows that it's not a good idea to stay hovering for long).

And about shock absorption, these guys are super-powerful giants carrying power armour. They can crack a tank open with their punches and tackle through concrete. What's the problem with falling a few dozen feet, again? (and that's before taking into account that they can use a burst to slow their fall).

·
Registered
87 Posts
I know people tend to look down on the DoW novels by C.S. Goto (they're not THAT bad, but that's another topic), but in those stories (which are canon like any other) the Assault Marines are able to fly for long periods of time, and frequently use the packs to get 'above' an enemy position and just hover in mid air, raining bolters and grenades on the enemy while dodging side-to-side to be harder to hit. So there's your 'canon' answer as to whether the jump packs can be used for sustained flight.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts