Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In general, what do you guys think would be a better supporting unit for an all Blood Angel Jump Pack list? It seems if you add armor like Preds, that it makes an easy choice for the enemy to be like "Oh, just send all my melta to the tanks" and it singles them out. I hear that Devastators might actually be a good choice for support, since they are also infantry and this just further splits up the fire of the enemy. Fire on the Devs in cover and the Assault Marines will get in your face unscathed, or fire on the ASM and those heavy weapons will pour on the shots.

My other idea would maybe be Sternguard with missile launchers as well. This gives the benefit of having awesome bolter rounds that can decimate weak armies with their AP4 weapons (like guard, nid/ork swarms) and normal Devs wouldn't be able to do this. Are there any other options I'm missing? Dreads fall into the Pred argument as well, that they are armor and easily picked on by heavy weapons, where the heavy single shots aren't effective of infantry in cover.

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
if you're looking for an anti tank unit that can fit into an all jump pack army then one brilliant option is an honour guard. 205pts gets you 5 men with jump packs, 4 meltaguns and an extra sanguinary priest bubble which is always good. Great for taking out tanks as they're fast and able to get to the rear armour and melta range quickly. Also similar playstyle without the priest are multi melta attack bikes. Fast, able to turbo boost to get good saves from most enemy fire, T5, 4 wounds and with the added range of the multimelta able ot get some decent shots in too. also with the bolters they can help thin out hores some bit before another unit assaults too.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Not sure if you've seen this over on 3++ Synner but here's a post about what you're asking in relation to Devs in Jumper armies and a new one asking a similar question. Whilst I am a great believer in VV I think a pure Jumper army comes down to either taking VV or supporting fire and the best support fire you can get is the Devs w/SP bubble. You can combat squad them to split fire 6 ways and aren't that expensive whilst being pretty survivable and not sticking out like Dreads or Preds would.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Never forget the Stormraven. Even the barebones configuration of Assault Cannon w/Multi-meltas and Bloodstrike missiles is a terrifically complimentary AT and transport unit for Blood Angels jump armies. Especially if you carry an RAS-5 with AT punch and make use of "Skies of Blood". Add in a couple of Land Speeders for back up and you never need field anything effected by terrain.

Or you could always get sneaky and field a couple camo Scout-5s with Power Fist, Combi-melta and Missile Launcher. Add something nasty (say your Sternguard idea) in a Drop Pod that lands between them and you've got a great AT speed bump.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info guys. Kirby, I read over those posts and at least happy to see the Devs idea isn't that crazy. I haven't yet done it, but what do you think about Devs vs Sternguard for the points? Stern seem to be more versatile with their ammo and still have missile launchers. Just a question if they are too expensive for the job I guess. I only ever use 1 elite slot for a IC priest or two, as I normally have 2 HG units in 1500 and above.

I just think Stern would be useful beyond the missiles by being able to outshoot Tau (same range gun but AP4, while they are AP5) and mow down Nids, both little meat shields and even MCs with the 2+ poison.

·
Registered
230 Posts
SR lists can be seen on the blog :p lol. Not a huge fan of them to be honest.

@SynnerG; Devs are better as they are cheaper. It's basically 12 missiles which can shoot at 6 targets compared to 6 missiles who can shoot at 6 targets as you need those Sang Priests either way. Whilst you get the extra ammo from the Sternguard if you're going for supporting fire, bring it ^^ (plus the signum :O).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
True, the signum would be greatly appreciated for those critical shots to make sure someone gets dead. I priced it out, for about 4 ML in two teams of Stern at 270pts vs 1 team of Devs being 210pts. If I bump it up to 2 full teams of Stern, it's still only 4MLs at 520pts vs 8 ML at 420pts. That leaves more points for upgrades, but not sure how I should field them. If I combat into 5 bolters and the Sgt and MLs, there's no real extra wounds for them to soak up fire. I guess then I'd want to split them evenly and spread them along the back field and shoot all game long. I could have priests give bubbles to the squads to increase their lifespan too.

I guess the only other option is the VV, which seems to be what other bloggers are in favor of. I'm not against them per se, as I've used them to good use before. Nothing like seeing someone's jaw drop when a unit scatters 1d6 to them and charges on the DS. I guess it comes down to price, as I think I can get about 5-man VV squads in at around 210pts a pop, but that's only 5 men, and I fail saves a lot, plus they are more likely to be outside FNP bubbles. A lot of this is me thinking out loud, lol, so mind the rambling. I'll report how my next battle goes and what choice I end up going with.

·
Registered
361 Posts
And don't leave out the possibility of combining the Devastator's signum and Corbulo's Far Seeing Eye for that "I want that tank dead, NOW!". BS5 and a reroll to hit, penetrate or damage is a winner when combined with a short range Multi-melta hit.

Stopped a Redeemer full of Assault Terminators dead in it's tracks that way. Poor things had nothing left to support by the time they crossed over the hills and thru the woods. :laugh:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts