Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From CNN

The Roman Catholic Church will declare the late Pope John Paul II a saint, the Vatican announced Friday.

Pope Francis signed the decree Friday morning, the Vatican said. John Paul was pope from 1978 until his death in 2005, and was essentially the first rock star pontiff - drawing vast crowds as he criss-crossed the globe.

At his funeral, thousands of pilgrims gathered in St. Peter's Square chanted "Santo Subito" -- Sainthood Now! The Polish-born pope was fast-tracked to beatification when he died in 2005, and became "the blessed" John Paul II barely six years after his death -- the fastest beatification in centuries.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
About time too, the man was a great example of the goodness of humanity. If only we could all strive to be like him.

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
Aye? I thought you had to have proven to have caused some miracles before you could be made a saint? He's been a busy man in "heaven" hasn't he?

To many traditionalist Catholics I'm sure he is a beacon of humanity but his stance on homosexuality, contraception and AIDS really rules him out the "amazing human being" class for me. He's still in the "same old crap coming out of blinded by religious doctrine" camp from where I am sitting.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He had two or three documented miracles so far. John Paul was one of the more liberal popes, not saying much, but hey.

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
My uncle pulled a quarter from my ear and could magically sever and reattach his own thumb at will.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
While he was a better human being then most people, he certainly wasn't a shining example of the best that humanity has to offer.

While he did do a lot of good things, he did do a lot of questionable things too.. Supporting Opus Dei, his generally backwards attitude towards contraception and homosexuality, not to mention the whole lack of a response to the paedophile problem of catholic priests.

Heck, Mother Teresa arguably did more to help people directly then he did, and where is her sainthood?

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
That's from their episode on Ghandi (and one other who I can't remember) as well. Very interesting to see the other sides to these people.

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
Ding, you're now a lvl 35 Internet Troll in the class of useless posts.
I have to agree with Norm on this. There was a huge issue with priest/child abuse during his time at the head. This isn't a politician, this was the head of a church.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh yes because his comment was so serious and presented such a well thought out argument and points.

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
If he had won a Nobel Prize or something like that we can move him into the "Better Human Being" class but given that canonisation is significant only to Catholics , then pros and cons of his cannonisaton really doesn't matter squat to the rest of us.

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
It covered the essence of why I would say the guy doesn't deserve to be a saint, so yes it was just fine in terms of responses. This isn't a Senator being caught in a bathroom asking for blow jobs. This was the head of a church that has a strong and very solid stance that he helped guide against the very issue his church was attempting to hide happening among their own. He did not do a decent job in fixing this problem or direction which then led to all the issues the church dealt with after his death. He talked hard on the issue while at the same time the church was shuffling pedos into other countries.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Even if John Paul II did sweep the allegations under the rug that should have been resolved, he was still a much more liberal and forward thinking pope that any that have been in my memory. I seem to recall he actually treated other religions and their leaders with respect and compassion, such as when he visited a mosque, making him the first pope ever to do such. If the Catholic Church sees fit to make him a saint, so what? It doesn't affect me at all.

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
Overall I don't care, I just find the whole thing annoying as fuck in terms of Pedo's and their stance on homo sexuality and whatnot.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Anyways going back on topic. Two of the three miracles are kinda in a gray area as to if they were truly miracles but the board of miracles finally decided they they truely were. Pope John Paul is one of the fastest to be made a saint in hundreds of years.

I am curious what the Catholics of the forums have to say about this.

·
Closet Dictator
3,413 Posts
I am curious what the Catholics of the forums have to say about this.
Brought up as Catholic in Ireland, which would explain why I am a card carrying Atheist now! The man should not be made a saint, he did nothing to bring about proper justice for victims of child rape and molestation and knowing that it was happening as head of the church should have been at the forefront of denouncing excommunicating and jailing those creatures.

Instead he let it slide under the rug because it was better to let it happen quietly than show the mighty church has bad apples in it, he should not be a saint because he is guilty of one of the churches deadliest sins ,the sin of pride.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
To many traditionalist Catholics I'm sure he is a beacon of humanity but his stance on homosexuality, contraception and AIDS really rules him out the "amazing human being" class for me.
Alrighty then. While I respect your opinion on the matter, if this is all that stands between him and Sainthood that is the most Retarded thing I've ever heard. Yes the Church stands against condoms(which is funny for me being an practicing Catholic) and is not a fan of homosexuality. That's it's beliefs, just as Islam believes in bringing all Dar al'hajj back into the faith through the use of the sword (or more like Jihad).

Really, he did more in mending Cold War friction, and peace in foreign countries than his predecessor did. He gave a damn; which is more than we can ask most people today.

Heck, Mother Teresa arguably did more to help people directly then he did, and where is her sainthood?
She is a saint..........I think?

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
It may be the churches beliefs (which doesn't make it morally acceptable BTW) beliefs change and often it's due to the leaders actions. He had the chance to help stem the flow of aids in Africa through supporting the use of condoms and didn't, thus playing a part in the deaths and suffering of millions. That's not saintly behaviour. Sheltering, aiding and abetting pedofiles is not saintly behaviour.

If I'm a retard for thinking that then I'll gladly take that label.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts