1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all.
i am an old 40k fanatic.
went to a grand tourney 20years ago.
won best painted at some small tourneys, sometime after that.
stopped gaming regularly before the end of the 21st century.
though, i kept my hand on the brush until i left the States in 2007.
just had my old collection (most/some of it, anyways) mailed over here (s. korea now, married, and likely here for good...).
the figs got pretty bashed up in the post - my brother didn't pack so conscientiously, i suppose.
and i have a lot of re-gluing after i track down the bits.
was an 11 kg box of models, btw - more than a few, and two more boxes (smaller) should follow someday soon, i hope.

here, in skorea, there are few 40k fans. actually, none outside of a US army base, from what i can tell, but i have a glass display case and hope to - in the next house/apartment - set out a gaming table and likely run some games solo, if i can't find someone to sit down for beer-hammer fridays with me - weird, right? but, i loved this hobby, am loving having it back, and am excited get my hands back on the brush and knife, glue and vice, at least.

i need some help, actually, and am posting a thread in the general forum for advice on how to 6th-edition my old collection of eldar.
here and now, however, i thought i might share a few snapshots of some of the old work, stuff i did 10 or 15 years ago.
comments are appreciated, of course.
if you like what you see, please check out my other post and see about setting me straight on how to work out the eldar kit... thanks!

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
Welcome aboard :good:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Welcome. Glad you could join us!

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
welcome back to the hobby. You will find many great people here to help you update an older army..

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks all for the warm welcome.
i will try to contribute, and not to disappoint.

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
Hey Jin, welcome to heresy. Some time, we should try a skype game... though I admit I have very few eldar models to proxy as yours if we were mirroring boards. And we'd have to agree to a certain amount of honesty system and leeway for measurements, since they are likely to be hard to get exactly right. Hmmmm, ok, I can think of several challenges, but they aren't insurmountable, necessarily.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Jin, welcome to heresy. Some time, we should try a skype game... though I admit I have very few eldar models to proxy as yours if we were mirroring boards. And we'd have to agree to a certain amount of honesty system and leeway for measurements, since they are likely to be hard to get exactly right. Hmmmm, ok, I can think of several challenges, but they aren't insurmountable, necessarily.
wow. that is very generous of you...
i am limited, however, especially at the moment, by both space and time to manage such a feat.
our apartment is - seriously - about 50square meters, shared with my wife and two dogs, a number of plants and two workstations. i simply do not have the floor space at present for a gaming table, and floors, well, the dogs spend a lot of time on those, so they are also at a premium.

what i have enjoyed about this forum, so far, besides the kind words and warm welcome, has been the open air critical and uncensored discourse. there also seems to be a lot of history here - members who have been around the hobby for a long long while. i have been able to feel re-connected to the roots of my love for this particular family of games - after TSR D&D and rpg, including some champions rpg as a playtester for mission books, some call of cthulu and one of my favorites of all time 'stalking the night fantastic' (not necessarily in that order - stalking was back in the mid-80s if i remember correctly) i moved to gw and haven't diverged much since, beyond the short run with a card game about vampires that i liked a lot and now forget the name of, from which the clans and premise for a short-lived tv show were drawn, and which led ultimately to the live-action rpg stuff that i used to giggle about as i worked the comic shop on weekends.

but, i lost my enthusiasm with rules revolutions and the seeming 180degree turn from modeling, scale, and accuracy to what i now see is the most reviled version of the game, 3rd edition and all that came with it. battlefield gothic, man o'war, and necromunda were favorites, throughout, and when gw stopped backing those permutations, i lost hope completely, turning full attention to modeling and painting and allowing real life to slowly take back the time that it likely deserved anyways.

with all of that said, i am excited to get back to modeling and painting. my new kit of brushes anf paints has arrived!
so, what i will do is move directly to your ongoing project page, and catch up on that.
sharing this aspect of the hobby is the best way for me to get drawn back in to the rules and ultimately back to the gaming table.
in fact, before bed last night i spared myself a couple of hours to look through the main rule book, and then also this morning at around 5a.m. to rad from this forum on criticism of same rules studied, and am not surprised to find that a 7th edition should arrive so soon...

frankly, if things keep up as such, i may have to turn from penning academic texts at the intersection of the cognitive sciences, ethics, and AI to volunteering to fix the 40k rule book... after i have had some time to get caught up, and to get the current projects off of my desktop (the last scheduled of which is an edited book on machine ethics due december of this year).

see you on your project thread, then!
best!:good:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts