Punx For Life
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our fists are red,
Our armour is blue,
If your ugly and green,
We're coming for you.

:p

ha ha. So as promised here is the start of my Crimson Fists.
I've started off with a 6 man tactical squad and their going to be put in a razorback.
The shoulder pads and backpacks are the metal GW ones, I think i'll get some of the forge world stuff soon.

I'm pretty happy with how they turned out, the base coat and wash was done with an airbrush which has been my best buy this year.
(Big thanks to djinn24 for the advice on which one to buy)

The sergeants head and power fist are taken from the assault marine box set.

The best model I think so far is the Ginger guy with his helmet off.
I had a moment of geekspiration and thought it would be funny to have a representation of me.:)
For him I used bits from a few kits and the head was brought off bits and kits

More to come very soon.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Fantastic start man. I look forward to your future work.

·
Unfinished Project King
7,409 Posts
Looking good mate. I really like the guy holding the helmet. Keep up the good work.

·
Drinker of tea...
2,277 Posts
Our fists are red,
Our armour is blue,
If your ugly and green,
We're coming for you.
.​

+rep just for that ditty :)

These are looking great so far, and it's good to see Space Wolves don't have the monopoly on ginger in the 41st millennium :)

I think the edge highlights are looking really good too.

looking forward to seeing some more

Rev​

·
Punx For Life
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
cheer's guys.
Dave I see what you mean, now I look at it he looks like one of them catfish that stick to the side of the fish tank.

Quick update been working on a predator just need to add some paint chips and work out a good why to make it look like it's been driven through mud.

any ideas? or shall i just leave it clean with metal chips and scrapes?

·
Registered
742 Posts
Glad you find use of the DC too! I was going to start Crimson Fists, but they weren't gothic enough, so I made my own chapter!

·
Super Moderator
8,559 Posts
Quick update been working on a predator just need to add some paint chips and work out a good why to make it look like it's been driven through mud.

any ideas? or shall i just leave it clean with metal chips and scrapes?
It looks great at the moment so I would not put to much weathering on it.

Instead of mud, I suggest a subtle dirt to represent serfs cleaning as often as possible. A brown wash of the lower quarter would look like there was mud but it had been scrubbed off; if you apply the wash in diagonal lines from the front towards the back and slightly further up the rear guard it will give the impression of cast off from the tracks.

·
Unfinished Project King
7,409 Posts
I am with Dave. I am not a huge fan of weathering because I usually think that it is over done. But some weathering powders and washes on the tracks and lower panels of the tank will add some realism. I really like it but some edge highlights wouldn't go amiss. Good work mate.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Great work on the colours. As Dave said, the blue and reds are really strong and neatly applied.

Have you tried doing lens flare on the eyes? 1 little white dot adds a lot to the face. The highlights on the feet also look quite dull, but it could just be the pics.

Keep it up mate :victory:

·
Drinker of tea...
2,277 Posts
I'm liking the predator. As the other's have said, maybe some light weathering on the lower half of the tank and towards the rear. Those FW weathering powders look like they might do the trick.
I can't really offer advice though as my tanks are painted to look completely filthy! :)

·
Ask me about Pins
1,408 Posts
Having tried a couple of times... I think a good wash on the outside of the vehicle works pretty good too... I tend to use brown, black and vallejo smokey ink with lots of water and just give it a good bath... that helps deepen the recesses a bit...

In working with weathering powder... I have a really hard time not overdoing it... but when I do, I've actually took my tanks to the sink and washed it off... After two failed attempts to do it right, I have a decent bit of dusting along the bottom of the tanks... But keep in mind when you do the powder thing.. a little goes a long way...

BTW, nice work so far.. I'm really enjoying the blog

·
Punx For Life
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Thanks for all the comments guys.

@ Varakir, I forgot to high light the feet only noticed when you said and i'll try the idea with the lens flair.

@ Midge913, I did do some highlight but they didn't show up to well so I've added some more

@ everyone,
With the weathering I didn't know where to start, so I've just gone with a bit of soot on the exhausts and a simple wash as a few of you said.

I used 1 part charadon granite, 1 part graveyard earth and 8 parts water, which made a nice muddy wash for the tracks and lower 1/4.

I did have some decals on there but when i put on the varnish it made them look like they had white or something under them.
but thanks to TheReverend I've got some fists from the drop pod kit.
I've added a little triangle to the bottom of these to help them blend in with the metal GW parts
As always C&C will be much appreciated.:wink:

·
Unfinished Project King
7,409 Posts
Now that is one sexy tank Jimmy. The highlights are definitely visible now and the weathering looks great. Just enough to add some realism but not too much to make it go over the top. Excellent work man!

·
Bleh
3,785 Posts
I would attempt stippling some lighter browns on, don't overwhelm the tank with it, just some occasional bits of lighter browns, as if it's only just been applied.

Also, for the future, try adding some basing material in the arches, and paint that a darkish brown to it. Gives a lovely effect.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts