Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings!

With the abandoning of my former Oak army for the lure of Chaos I felt it only appropriate that I leave the previous Ork based forum I was on (and rarely posted at anyway) for a Chaos themed one. :)

How and when I got into 40K

It all started back in 1996 when while at school a few other boys in my forum room were looking at White Dwarf magazines and I thought some of the models looked pretty damn cool and later got talking about it to a friend of mine who had just started to get into it himself, collecting Blood Angles.

It was not until 1997 that I made my first trip to a GW store and had a play though, later getting the 2rd edition box set (the younger players will never know the horrors of the complicated mess that was 2nd edition *shudder*) for my birthday in the summer and throwing myself into the hobby for a few years.

Early experiences and first army

The first army I collected was Orks although looking back I'm not really sure why, lol. Partly it was their amusing nature, especially in 2nd edition. It was like they were just trolling the 40K Universe with their silly antics while all the other races and armies took everything so seriously, they simply had no 'fudge cakes' to give! :p

At that stage I was also a bit of a sucker for the idea of a 'green tide' sweeping over the army and loved swarming my opponent with Gretchen.

In fact this brings me to my favourite moment to date in a 40K game, winning hand to hand combat with a squad of Genestealers...by throwing 80-Gretcen at them! :D

I had one major gripe with the hobby though...painting, yes I confess, I absolutely hate it! Painting brings me no joy, it's an excruciating bore that I can never force myself to do unless I have another person with me.

Without question though, while I enjoyed the game, it was the lore that was, without question, the real pull for me. I brought all the codex's of 2nd edition to read all the lore along with a load of old White Dwarf's from a neighbour who was 'growing out of it,' lol.

The Horus Heresy provided the most interest for me and this being years before the Horus Heresy novels, was a souse of endless discussion, debates and arguments among players. Of all the stories of the Horus Heresy though, none so consumed my imagination as that of the tragedy of the fall and later damnation of the Thousand Sons legion. Again this was before the novels so we had only the briefest of summaries to go on as you'd fill in the gaps with your imagination, seeing in your mind the savage Space Wolves descending on Prospero, smashing and burning everything to the ground like a bunch of gestapo thugs.

Break from the hobby and my return

Times change and you move on to other things, life just gets in the way I suppose and I took an extended break from the hobby around 2002.

Still, I never really left in my mind, I would occasionally pick up a White Dwarf, or once a year walk into a GW store and look around nostalgically and made a few ill fated attempts to get back involved but was always too distracted to really commit myself.

One of the issues was that, although I did not know it, I had lost my passion for the Orks I once had and was only sticking with them out of habit. It just did not occur to me to switch armies, lol. This was to chance at a later date but I'm getting ahead of myself.

In the late 2000's, on one of my nostalgia trips into a GW store I came across the Horus Heresy novles. Suffice to say I was stunned that they were writing these. I left without buying one though, partly I was scared of getting utterly drawn into the hobby again but mostly I was just a little scared these novels would fail utterly to live up to the high standards of my own immigration from when I was a child. It was, believe it or not, a few years before I finally had the courage to read Horus Rising back in 2010 and...what can I saw...just...wow! This is not the topic to just praise Dan Abnett as some kind of literary God (even though he is) only that it was the novels that brought me back to the hobby.

My fall to chaos

After reading the brief scenes with Mangus in False Gods in 2011 my passion for the Thousand Sons had been dialled up to 11 and at first was set on collecting a Thousand Sons army AFTER I rebuilt my Ork one, having given away all my 40K stuff to some kids back in when I left the hobby the first time.

As time went on and I failed to motive myself to get this Ork army together the penny finally dropped that actually, they just held no interest for me anymore and last year I finally gave up the ghost and purchased my first box of Chaos Space Marines! :D

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
Welcome to the Heresey. Glad to have you in the hobby again.
Too bad orks weren't for you but chaos is a good choice as well. Hope you have fun and feel free to ask questions there are lots of people here that will gladly help you out.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Welcome back to the hobby man!

Thousand Sons are some BAMFs if you ask me. INFERNO BOOOOLTS haha.

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
Welcome aboard! :good:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the welcomes. :)

My new Thousand Sons army suffered a slight hitch when, after spending an entire evening trying to motivate myself to paint my Chaos Space Marines at my friend and fellow 40K player's house, I only manged a few pitiful patches on a couple of models. :(

The sad reality is that I just hate painting. It's not my lack of talent, there are other things I have no talent in I enjoy for the fun of it, I just can't bare it.

So I've contacted a talented guy I know to commission him for some painting, he's by no means the best out there at all, but he's a struggling comic artist trying to break into the industry so it makes me happy to know I'm supporting him as, while I'd not go as far to say we're friends, I do sincerely respect his talent and want him to succeed.

Other than that on the 40K front I've been reading Ahriman: Exile and I'm almost 300-pages in.

What can I say? Well...what I would like to say, would get me banned from this forum! :mad: Suffice to say though, it is one of the worst written books I've ever had the displeasure to read. The author lacks any creativity and I'm forced to suffer the same limited selection of metaphors and similes over and over again until my brain is driven numb. The pacing is meandering at best, self indulgent at worst, with dozens of pages where literately nothing happens and then when you do get a burst of action is so poorly depicted you struggle to even follow what's happening.

Apart from the truly awful writing though, there is the presentation of Ahriman himself. Now granted this is the first novel I have read that features him and so I only have my own preconceptions to go on, but never in my wildest dreams could I have imagined that he would be refused to some winy emo as he is in this book!

I'll be finishing the novel for completeness sake but I can only hope that other ones featuring Ahriman will be better or I may have to consider defecting to another Chaos legion...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts