Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Grey Knight Converter
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When does hit and run happen when finalizing combat. Mainly I have two examples.

Example 1:

Two units are in combat that both have the hit and run ability. Who declares they are hopping out of combat first.

Example 2:

Inquisitor Lord and seraphim in combat with a unit of chaos space marines. Say inquisitor and seraphim lose combat. Inquisitor Lord decides to fail his leadership and runs away. Seraphim test and pass than decide to hit and run, can the space marines sweeping advance and wipe out the fleeing inquisitor lord.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Well, hit and run states that it is used at the end of the assault phase, whereas the morale stuff happens during the assault phase (loser checks morale, sweeping advance, and consolidation). There are no clear rules governing example 1, so I'd say that they both do since it happens simultaneously.

Example 2: Since failing morale happens before hit and run (during assault phase vs. end of assault phase), the space marines can sweeping advance both the lord and the seraphim.

The real question is what happens if they don't fail and you hit and run. Technically, pile in moves also say the occur at the end of combat, so I'm fairly certain that models pile in and then the hit and run move is taken which allows the models that just piled in to make a consolidation move.

·
Inquisitor
963 Posts
On the first Example I say that they can both make the Hit and Run move. Nothing states they cant and it just seems that it would have to happen simoultaneously.

On the second example.... hurmmm... I take it the Inq L and the Seraphim arent joined together and Im assuming the Seraphim passed their LD test for loosing combat... The Inq L runs first, the CSM make their consolidation move, then the Seraphim break off w/ Hit and Run. Hit and Run is meant to be used no matter the outcome of combat so combat has to fully resolve (the Inq running) before the Seraphim perform H&R.

Now if the Inq L is joined to the Seraphim and he choose to fail the moral test for loosing combat then the Inq L and the Seraphim both fall back and could be wiped out by the CSM and the Seraphim would not be allowed to H&R. If they were seperate and the Seraphim failed their own LD and were forced to run then again they could be wiped by the CSM and would not be allowed to H&R.

Heres one that hit me one day and my opponent and I still cant agree to the legality of the tactic..

A unit of Grey Knights wipes out a unit of Sisters and consolidates into a squad of Seraphim who were sitting a nice 3 inches away and were unengaged. The squad of Seraphim claim Hit and Run and break off from the Grey Knights.

Do to the ambiguation of the claim that Hit and Run is at the end of the assualt phase it cant be agreed upon how legal that is. I personnally think that is rediculous, but of course any person who plays Hit and Run units will probably think it a good tactic.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
A unit of Grey Knights wipes out a unit of Sisters and consolidates into a squad of Seraphim who were sitting a nice 3 inches away and were unengaged. The squad of Seraphim claim Hit and Run and break off from the Grey Knights.

Do to the ambiguation of the claim that Hit and Run is at the end of the assualt phase it cant be agreed upon how legal that is. I personnally think that is rediculous, but of course any person who plays Hit and Run units will probably think it a good tactic.
Seems perfectly legal to me (and I've never fielded a single unit with hit and run). It is legal and ridiculous. Hit and run occurs at the end of the assault phase, consolidation occurs during the assault phase. It may fall under the category of 'GW didn't anticipate this, it's retarded, let's agree to do it the way that actually makes sense'.

·
Registered
538 Posts
under the rule it clearly states that you cannot use hit and run ability to move into contact with any enemy models.
if both players units have this ability,then whos turn it is would be the one who executes hit and run 1rst.
after all attacks are done and cassulties removed then hit and run sqds either stay (then resolve morale check/sweep advance/no retreat/fall back (whichever applies) or they run and opp just consolidates 3". no need to worry about morale check/sweep advance/no retreat or fall back as hit and run unit auto falls back 3d6" with no sweep advance allowed on them.
only need to insure that the hit and run unit can perform a fall back move.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
no need to worry about morale check/sweep advance/no retreat or fall back as hit and run unit auto falls back 3d6" with no sweep advance allowed on them.
only need to insure that the hit and run unit can perform a fall back move.
Actually, hit and run says it only happens at the end of the phase, as does pile-in. The morale stuff happens before the end of the phase, including sweeping advance if they fail their check. You have to deal with the ramifications of the CC before you can hit and run.

·
Inquisitor
963 Posts
Seems perfectly legal to me (and I've never fielded a single unit with hit and run). It is legal and ridiculous. Hit and run occurs at the end of the assault phase, consolidation occurs during the assault phase. It may fall under the category of 'GW didn't anticipate this, it's retarded, let's agree to do it the way that actually makes sense'.
Like I said.. RAW it seems legal.. I just dont think it was intended that way. I can deal with it.. it just seems so.. beardy/cheesy. They werent actually involved with combat that turn yet they got to run from it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Heres one that hit me one day and my opponent and I still cant agree to the legality of the tactic..

Do to the ambiguation of the claim that Hit and Run is at the end of the assualt phase it cant be agreed upon how legal that is. I personally think that is ridiculous, but of course any person who plays Hit and Run units will probably think it a good tactic.
Just a thought here.
During the assault phase only the sisters were engaged. You are consolidating at the end of assualt and can not assault further till your next turn. Would't your consolidation just"LOCK" the unit of Seraphim in place? The jet pack argument is good but so is surprise and forward momentum, a truism in battle, so maybe they Seraphim were caught with their jet packs down because of how severely the GK's broke through the sisters..

·
Inquisitor
963 Posts
Just a thought here.
During the assault phase only the sisters were engaged. You are consolidating at the end of assualt and can not assault further till your next turn. Would't your consolidation just"LOCK" the unit of Seraphim in place? The jet pack argument is good but so is surprise and forward momentum, a truism in battle, so maybe they Seraphim were caught with their jet packs down because of how severely the GK's broke through the sisters..
Thats what I would like but RAW is so iffy because of the vague statements about how H&R is played. But furtunately it looks like H&R is going away through the codex re-writes. I have a feeling it will be out of the USR in 5th edition and once the Witch-Hunters is rewritten will be completely gone from the game. As far as I can tell Seraphims are the last unit to have it since Chaos was re-written though I could be wrong.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts