Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Grey Knight Converter
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having trouble with my vehicles and how the paint is coming out on them. I can't seem to get a smooth finish. It is really noticeable on the larger panels of the tank. I am using vallejo paints and I am not sure why it is happening because I am not laying it on think or anything. Anyone have any suggestions???

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
You shouldn't be having any trouble with vallejo paint, in particular-- vallejo and reaper both make high-quality products. What color, specifically, are you using?

It may help to thin your paint, perhaps even more than you normally would. Reaper and Vallejo paint can stand being watered down a fair amount, and in order to get a smooth finish, almost regardless of what kind of paint you're using, you need to have it pretty thin.

·
Registered
283 Posts
With the citadel paints I give my tanks a 'keying' layer first a bit like a wash then let that dry for like 15 minutes....the apply 100% paint ( no water) to the tank.....works well for me - see results in ongoing projects.....blood angel 6000 point army

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
Watering down is the key. I also put down a 'key' layer, which will always look poor, but then build up another couple of thin layers to make a good solid block of colour.

·
Grey Knight Converter
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Humm, I think my first layer ended up pooling while it was drying and that is coming through in my other layers. I might have to give those parts a sanding and repaint them, sigh....

Thanks for all the help guys.

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
What colour are you trying to paint?

Lighter colours, such as yellow sometime have a big problem with pigment build up. The effect of this is that the colour appears to build up in one area quicker than in others.

If it is a lighter colour you are sometimes better off putting a slightly darker colour as a base coat (such as vomit brown for yellow)

·
Registered
389 Posts
abit off topic but i heard vallejo, anyway does anyone know where i can get vallejo model colour paints in australia

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
Darkness, you'll be better off ordering Reaper Master Series-- the stuff is absolutely identical in every way, and Reaper is an Australian company. Lord knows I'm sick of paying shipping on Master Series triads to the USA... *sigh*

·
Registered
389 Posts
well the reasons i want the vallejo is that they are very nice but i found a site
(minivault) which has combinations of the paints to make a particular effect and i just need that kinda thing
if you know what i mean

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
names of colors are just names. You'll get better results if you worry more about the actual color you see rather than the name. For example, if you see something that refers to Ultramarines Blue, you can use almost any mid-tone blue from any company and get a pretty comparable result.

·
Registered
389 Posts
true
but what if the site had a recipe of colours that made an effect that i want on my models?
im not really experienced enough to look at a piant job and figure out what colours i could use instead to make it look the same, if u get what i mean

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
It's the same concept. If they say you need a mix of Ultramarines Blue and Snot Green, for example, any mid-range blue and any mid-range green will work. Part of learning to work with mixes is just sort of playing with it until you figure out what works for you.

·
Registered
389 Posts
okay then
thanx for the advice
so much to learn *sigh*

·
Grey Knight Converter
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am using a gore red so I guess it is a pretty light colour.

Do you think its better to sand it down and try again. Or just paint over with a layer of brown and try again??

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
I wouldn't sand it down. I would personally use some form of paint stripper. I think this is covered somehwere in this section.

For reds you can use that new GW primary colour to get a good undercoat. If you look at my avatar, this figure has black spray undercoat, then I use the red primer on it to get a good flat base coat. You can still water this down to get a decent thin covering.

·
Grey Knight Converter
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Issue is part of the model is already painted which I don't want to strip, its only certain parts. I was thinking of sanding just to get a smooth flat surface to put a few extra layers or red on. Does that make sense, or would just covering it over with a basecoat and start fresh sound better.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts