Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am thinking about starting Warhammer 40,000. I would be using this Dark Angel Space Marine 490 point army to start out with ( http://us.games-workshop.com/games/40k/darkangels/gettingstarted/core_army.htm ) My question is that with 60$ in books (rulebook, space marine codex and dark angels codex) and $117 for the models, which comes to a total of $177, not including any paints, glue, or sales tax, is Warhammer 40k worth the money? Nobody at my school plays it, but I live in a large city, so there has to be a hobby shop were I can play with other people. Still, $50 for one unit in some cases? It seems very expensive, but it also looks fun. Any advice?

·
Registered
3 Posts
nobody can tell you whether you will like it or not but seeing as your on here already then i can say you will have atleast some intrest.

the money side of things tends to even out because although in the hoby costs alot at the beginning (army,paints etc) once youve got a playable army the costs will come down to the odd paint extra model here and there and any bulk buys you can get for xmas of birthday.

i can only recommend the hobby based on the fact that ive been into it for over 12 years and still find it fun(new models/rules etc) and help run a club for 18+ gamers, not sure how old you are but there is always a place to game or play.

what i would advise is you stick to your plan get the 500pt army play some games then go from there.

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
I've been in the game for eight years, and it honestly doesn't get old. I'd say it's been worth every penny I've dropped on it, and I've spent more than I care to count over the years on it.

I have some good news for you though-- you don't need the Space Marine codex if you want to play Dark Angels. Codex: Dark Angels is completely stand-alone and has everything you'll need to play them in it. Unless you've gotten a copy of the old Codex, in which case... yeah.

Ebay can be a cheaper source of models, but they're generally of rather poor quality since more often than not, they're poorly painted and assembled, and have seen a fair bit of wear and tear. Or, they're just plain old models, which doesn't bother some people, but the new stuff is usually significantly better.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Ive been playing 4 about 3 or 4 years now and find that 40k is better than fantasy and that its worth every last cent.

·
Banned
677 Posts
I've been playing since second semester of my freshman year in high school, which was early 1997. I've went through a ton of armies and up and down and up and down again in interest of playing, but I was completely addicted the first few years, and when I get in a game lately, I immediately start jonesin' for another, like old times.
I HIGHLY recommend going to a hobby shop(a GW works) and getting a learning game in with the staff and watching a couple games yourself to see if you like how things work. Usually from there you will know on a personal level if it is worth it or not. And as Kanarten said, you wouldn't be here if you weren't interested. I believe you're pretty much ready to go for it, you are just looking for that helpful push into the finances.
And remember, most hobby shops run demos of games, and EVERY GW shop runs them, so TRY before you Buy!

Hopefully you enjoy it just as much as us heretic old blokes!:so_happy:

·
Registered
784 Posts
Your best bet would be to find some local gaming stores and see if you can get a demo game and see for yourself if you really like it? The gaming aspect is just the beginning a lot of the fun and challenge is building and painting your army. Good Luck!!!

·
Registered
78 Posts
No it's absolutely not worth it...

Then again neither is smoking crack, but you get addicted to both.

For me I enjoy the painting, and modeling almost as much as I enjoy tournaments. Nothing like a good competitive day of gaming to set your mind right.

·
Registered
383 Posts
You pay a lot for Games Workshop stuff but the quality of everything they produce is unbeatable. Each figure, vehicle, book etc can seem expensive but each provides so much enjoyment in referencing, constructing, painting, fielding etc that they are overall worth the cost.

Some good advice, given to me by someone when I was starting out with 40k, is to focus on getting the minimum 1HQ and 2 Troops painted atleast to a basic standard before you start buying up all the optional shiny stuff.

My own advice is not to be dismayed if your results are almost inevitably not as good as all you see in the codex and rulebook. Most cannot or do not paint to that standard.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
find that 40k is better than fantasy
Oh Reginald..... I disagree!!!

Then again neither is smoking crack, but you get addicted to both.
So, so true.

The thing is, the game offers a wide variety of opportunities, from playing, to painting, modelling/sculpting/converting, as well as a strong background to bring the systems to life.
So, theres something for most people.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Well, one thing you could do to shave off some money - don't buy the SM codex. The Dark Angels one is complete as it is.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Honestly...think of it as at least three different, but related and overlapping hobbies:

Collecting- Some folks simply like to collect the minis. They are pretty doggone cool toy soldiers all by themselves.

Assembling/ Converting and Painting- A very crafty-type hobby for those who like models and working with their hands.

Playing- Some folks just love to play the game.

Often people like one or two aspects, sometimes all three...sometimes just one. It's nice that you can have toy soldiers...that you can convert and paint...oh, and you get to play a cool game with it too!

Like anything you get out of it what you put in to it and your expectations play a big factor. I can't guarantee anyone will like or dislike the game, but I'm sure that there are plenty of folks who play who are more than willing to be helpful in these hobbies, which is a huge bonus.

Best bet is to look around the area, see if folks play and meet them. Often people have lots of figs, and are willing to run demo games or simple games to get folks interested. Whether you really dig 40k...well...that's really ultimately up to you.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Honestly, no.

there are many other good miniature games that dont cost as much and you dont have to buy/model as many figures to have the same amount of fun

But id be lieing if I didnt say it was the second best thing i ever got into.
[[first would be hockey]]

GO SHARKS!

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
i've been playing 40k for 5 years now and its great. so is that artwork of the grand master

·
Registered
161 Posts
Although I'm still very new to the hobby, I have to say that Warhammer (particularly 40k) is worth every cent I've spent on it. Ridiculously expensive it may be, but it's so fun, it's sort of balanced out. Also, hobbies are always going to be a recreational thing that we spend our spare cash on... you might as well spend it on a brilliant and engaging hobby that just doesn't seem to get old!

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
I've been playing 40k for around 20 years. Though not continuosly (I missed a few years of 2nd ed). It's always been there when I come back, though. It might not look the same (Hey, but neither will I 20 years later) but it is still essentialy the same game.

The miniatures quality has not necessarily been getting better over the years. There seems to be signifigantly more 'flash' and seamage on some models (but this is also an issue with older molds still in use).

See if you have a games shop in town or nearby. Some forums even have a "looking for players in xxxx area" sections that help.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Everything that Elchminster said I agree with. I am more into the Painting and Converting portion than the gameing. Then again it bugs the crap out of me to field anything that isnt painted even though I don't mind playing against unpainted armies. That stuff said, it is also an excuse for me and my friends to get together on Saturday or Sunday, drink beer, push minis around a table, throw dice (for game purposes and out of anger), and relax. A safe piece of advice though is to play a game or two with either a borrowed army or at least markers of some sort to figure out if YOU like the game.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK, thanks guys. I am thirteen so I dont have much money. If I do get into Warhammer 40k I will just buy the dark angels codex. Since I'm thirteen, will I be made fun of for being a nerd and playing Warhammer 40k? I'm not in highschool yet (next year) and I go to a very athletic school (I am not.) I've heard that some highschools have Warhammer 40k clubs. Not sure if this is true, but I would like it if someone could verify. One last question. If I play as Dark Angels, would I have to paint my models the Dark Angel colors, or could I make my own colorscheme? Thanks!

Edit: Is Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War like the tabletop game? Becuase I'm downloading the demo to see what its like.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Dude, this is hard advice considering your age but ya gotta do whatever is cool for you. If you like the game then play it. As for being worried about people making fun of you, it's probally someones ignorance or insecurity being redirected at you. Learn this now and it will make for a happier life in the long run.

As far as the cheap way to get a "starter force". Get the Codex, Hit www.thewarstore.com and go to the Battlewagon bits section, under the battle for macragge you can pick up 2 tac squads for around the price of one full tac squad. These models are a little "soft" but it's a start on an army. Then just pick up a HQ choice and you have the bare min. Another good source for cheap online WH is www.chaosorc.com.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I started when I was thirteen (fourteen now), and I feel for ya in the lack of money area. If you like the game, you'll find the money though. There are also ways to cut corners money-wise. Ebay, starter forces, etc are all ways to save money that will certainly come in handy!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts