Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
these threads always make me wonder if the people commenting have a real job or a grasp of basic economics.

how much would you charge for a product that as a small example would have people involved in its production at dozens of stages

concept artist
background
games designer
sculptor
tooling
moulding
packaging design
painter [eavy metal]
photographer
shipping
store staff
plus the support structure and staff nessacary to support the people and product at all these stages.

this is a pretty simple example and will no doubt fall on deaf ears but if youve ever been involved in the running of a business will probably understand the overheads and costs involved in a product as complex as the gw hobby.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Traitoris Extemis

I take it the price back in 2007 is not that much cheaper than 2010? I'm glad it only 2 or bucks, cause I was worry it was a 33% increase. Can you tell me how much a box of 20 trooper cost? (the boxset that had 20 shock trooper).

Jigplums

I don't need store staff (I don't play the game) (hobby aspect of it). I don't understand, so I won't say I do, but they are making more than their fare of profit. if (assuming this is all product (please clarify it for me) that every product you get half the unit and it cost more)? Is that true, just tell me if it a yes or no.

I'm just asking is what that quote said, is that true or not?

Sorry English isn't my first language.

·
nice boy, daft though !
10,212 Posts
Slug.
This is the best possible time to get into 40k but if money is a concern now then i would say forget it, the harsh reality of this hobby is that it costs money to play and nothing ever get any cheaper, and before we all start banging on about PC's being cheaper bear in mind that the top of the range personal computer in 1982 was £99 now if you can get me a top of the range PC for £99 now i will take a hundred.

Assault on black reach is perfect to start off with and its not very expensive considering whats included, but anything after that is going to cost you money and plenty of it, even with ebay which isnt as cheap as you might think or as people make out because alot forget to factor in postage(not to mention the risk you sometimes take on the site), but you can get a healthy discount from online retailers such as Giftsforgeeks and Darksphere both of which come in cheaper than most including wayland when you include postage charges in my experience but never seem to get a mention on this site,seriously guys check them out.

Anyway the best advice i can give you is stop worrying about the costs because all you need to know is that, you will have to pay more than you want to, you will buy things and never assemble or paint them,you will buy models based on how they look and they wont even relate to your army and every year GW will put the price of something up and the internet community will bitch about and say how they will never buy anything again but in the next breath they will complain that such and such army needs a new codex and models because they want to start that army.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
644 Posts
I believe to sum it up - we all have a love/hate relationship with GW - just like everyone has with anything that costs money.

We complain about gas prices, but we still buy gas anyway.

·
Banned
2,023 Posts
Another thing I would like to all those going on about not buying from GW stores (in a chance that prices in store will drop if sales don't come) and going straight to ebay etc - ever wonder where these people who sell on ebay get the product in the first place?

Whether you buy at online discount stores, ebay or at GW in the end profit from all these sales somewhere at somepoint have gone to back the Games Workshop Company thus keeping the business operating.

In answer to the question - YES now is the best tiome to start with so many options to buy from and model wise it's a great time to start.

·
nice boy, daft though !
10,212 Posts
prices wont drop in store, they are set centrally, if the stores sales are poor they will simply close the store, its been said before but if you play in a GW store then realistically you should shop there to prevent them closing and so you can keep using the store to play, though in the UK thats less important as i think we have a much higher % of home and club gamers.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Angryman
4,304 Posts
I use third party retailers for new models and plenty of ebay purchases to bulk out my forces(standard inf squads etc.) keeps my costs down a bit.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
I use third party retailers for new models and plenty of ebay purchases to bulk out my forces(standard inf squads etc.) keeps my costs down a bit.
Same here, especially as Aus retail prices are super pricey..thank the stars for the exchange rate against the £.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
bitsandkits

I don't understand how you can say this is the best possible time? The model hasn't change in 3 years but the price has gone signifcantly up. This has nothing to do with PC as I have build my own pc for 1K and even in 4 years I can run the most intensive games on high graphic. How can you say AOBR is not expensive? It just went from $60 to $90 for the same thing. That a 30 dollars increase or 30 something percent increase. It not expensive considering what it included but it is 30 dollar more expensive than what it use to be.

I'm not worrying about the cost because I can afford 2 full size armies, but it bother me because 1 to 2 years ago I could get 20 troops instead of 10 for lesser price? Don't you guys see my point? So instead of having maybe 220 troops I will have 110 troops for more money.

Blue Liger

How are the models any differences from two years ago, there all the same man. This is the worst time IMO because im paying more and getting about half less than I would have had I start 1 or 2 years ago.

The point I'm trying to make is whether they are too expensive that I can't afford them it I'm getting less for more price.

EX. So instead of getting 2 armies for the same price, i'm ONLY GETTING ONE

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
But the past is the past, so yes it may suck that you'll be getting less models than you could of 2/3 years ago, but so what...you should have bought them then. In 2/3 years time you could have the same argument if you don't buy them now for today's prices.

Does it suck that we're getting less for our Dollar...yes it does, but we're all in the same boat and the best you can do is buy them from a Discounter and/or on Ebay - OR not get an army at all.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
I think you're becoming somewhat alarmist here, the price rises, apart from places like Australia, aren't really all that much. And, with Wayland Maelstrom Games, as said, that price rise pretty much goes away. The models themselves are for the most part great, and you'll be spending a lot of time with them, assembling, painting, and playing them, so you'll certainly get mileage out of them.

Also, PC's aren't really a valid comparison. The two industries are so radically different that there's no point trying to make a point with that sort of thing.

·
Banned
2,023 Posts
slugsung88 just because a model doesn't change every year or two doesn't mean it isn't a great model - some get slight changes but otherwise they have been the same for many years.
On the other hand some get chnaged and people hate the newer one compared to the older one (see daemon players)

You also contradicted yourself big time saying "I can afford 2 full armies" then turning around and wondering if "they are too expensive that I can't afford them".

Yes you may get less models but your not in it to play it you want to collect, it's a hobby you can do it slowly so money doesn't play a big role at all.

It seems like you have just once again like so many decided to complain about prices without a full background on how the company works.

If you don't want to pay it don't play it, find another hobby!

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
When GW products become as important to you as gas then that, my friend, is when you know you have a problem.

·
Drinker of tea...
2,277 Posts
Look, forget the money, it's always a bad time to start any addiction, and that's what this is, let's face it.
I realised that as soon as I read the words "if you're worried about money, then don't start." I couldn't just drop out of the hobby, I tried that a few years back and failed. That's like telling a junkie not to buy crack if he doesn't have the money. We'll all find the money somehow just so we can buy that latest release and then moan about it later.
But we'll still buy, and GW no that.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
If you're an adult buying 40K models for yourself...
You may think that say £20 for a Squad is a lot of money (and I'm not saying it isn't). But compare that to going for a night out.
In England that'll buy you around six drinks. How long to drink them? Couple of hours? Maybe three? And that's it. Twenty quid gone.
(And then the Landlord sneakily casts Mindwar on you...)
How long is it going to take you to prepare your squad, undercoat them, paint & base them? I'd say for the majority of us considerably longer than three hours. Then add on to that the hours of gaming with them. Considerably more than a couple of hours or so in a bar.

If you're a parent and your child is just getting into 40K...
This is a hobby that whilst they are playing, without them even realising it, will help to educate them in numeracy and literacy skills, art and craft, spatial awareness, etc...
You'll even be able to monitor their progress because you'll see it for yourself. And when you're not around to see it, you can be sure they'll be telling you all about it...
There are lots worse things you could be buying for them.

·
nice boy, daft though !
10,212 Posts
bitsandkits

I don't understand how you can say this is the best possible time? The model hasn't change in 3 years but the price has gone signifcantly up. This has nothing to do with PC as I have build my own pc for 1K and even in 4 years I can run the most intensive games on high graphic. How can you say AOBR is not expensive? It just went from $60 to $90 for the same thing. That a 30 dollars increase or 30 something percent increase. It not expensive considering what it included but it is 30 dollar more expensive than what it use to be.

I'm not worrying about the cost because I can afford 2 full size armies, but it bother me because 1 to 2 years ago I could get 20 troops instead of 10 for lesser price? Don't you guys see my point? So instead of having maybe 220 troops I will have 110 troops for more money.

Well to answer the AOBR question is an easy one , Assault on black reach has not increased by $30, AOBR price has increased by £5 from the time it was released , which is a 10% rise, people outside of the UK will have to get used to the simple fact that the strength of the pound in the world market will have a direct effect on the price of your models, GW are a british company so the prices are dictated by our economy, so any increase in the $ price of models is directly related to exchange rates and the world market and your location, people in Australia for example get seriously shafted.

If you feel that $90 for AOBR is expensive and your not happy with the fact it may have increased by $30 in the products life time then i will say sadly you will not be happy with the game of 40k, I dont want to put you off as i love the game and the hobby (it is literally my life) but even the most devoted GW hater will tell you that the AOBR box set is a bargain and it simply does not or ever has been a better time to get into 40k if you intend to collect either marines or Orks.

·
Registered
454 Posts
bitsandkits

Blue Liger

How are the models any differences from two years ago, there all the same man. This is the worst time IMO because im paying more and getting about half less than I would have had I start 1 or 2 years ago.

The point I'm trying to make is whether they are too expensive that I can't afford them it I'm getting less for more price.

EX. So instead of getting 2 armies for the same price, i'm ONLY GETTING ONE
Sad but true, that's what people call inflation. Your money looses value and you gradually loose buying potential. So, if in 1990 you could buy 2 dreadnoughts with 10 pounds, today you can only buy a DCCW wit those 10 pounds. Prices WILL increase and your money value will decrease. That's how our economy works, that's why people need raises in their income. Hey back in the 80s you could buy a BigMac and Cola for about 1 buck, now if you're lucky you get the sandwich for that. Do you ask yourself if this is the worst time to get a BigMac?

21 - 40 of 45 Posts