Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

So I'm a Space Marines player, and on Saturday I'm against another SM player, I know he has a Landraider and I'm pretty sure he'll be using it. What I'm going to ask I'm aware is based on alot of 'ifs' but all I'm wanting to know is - is the below possible (this is under the assumption of going first)?

- 5 x Scouts loaded into a LS Storm equiped with Melta Bombs
- Using Infiltrate have the Scouts and Storm close to the enemy (within the infiltrate rule-set of course)
- Then, using the Scout Rule get as close to the enemy as is possible within the rule
- As it's your first turn you Move and close the distance to the Land Raider so you can Assault and disembark your Scouts
- Assault with Scouts using Krak Grenades and the Sgts Melta Bombs
- With any luck destroy the frickin Land Raider using Scouts on the first turn!

So, is this possible?

·
4,491 Posts
Lots of ifs.

- IF you get the first turn.
- IF you can score a penetrating hit with the melta bombs (krak wont do anything).
- IF you get a 5 or 6 on the damage chart.

The chances of all of those things happening are very small (around 12%), and your throwing a quite expensive unit/transport away to do it.

I would consider a MM/HF Land Speeder deep striking before i considered the scout option.

·
Premium Member
5,719 Posts
No, it is not possible. The Land Speeder does not have Infiltrate.

Of course it has Scout so you can just move 24" for your scout move and get the same result. One hell of a longshot though. I would go with the Speeder w/MM thing, but not Deepstrike it.

·
Registered
220 Posts
seems the 'if' is possible but i hope you have some backup for that, namely, lascannons and meltas, though a few others that could help out, missile launchers, vindicators, MoTF, and orbital bombing are all somewhat able to deal with big threats.

good luck, post up what happens after the encounter.

·
Super Moderator
8,564 Posts
One of my friends used to use a unit of Scout Bikers configured for the same thing.

He estimated that it works 30-40% of the time against someone the first time you do it, and almost always does not work a second time against the same player or anyone who saw you do it, because they will deploy to avoid the problem.

Admittedly, I did once swap lists with him and annihilate a Vindicator on turn 1 with the Scouts, so it can be more successful against people who forget what is going to happen : )

·
Registered
679 Posts
I think you'd be better off giving the scouts sniper rifles, infiltrating them somewhere with cloaks & leaving them be to hopefully throw some pinning checks down. The best way of dealing with any land raider is to immobilize it from afar & then just forget about it

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Right, in the end took the majority advice and didn't use my Scouts and Storm in this way.

But, did still manage to kill the Land Raider in Turn 2 - Drop Pod loaded with one of my Dreads practically right next to the LR, scattered 2", Dread storms out MM within half range popped it in one shot = massive grin on my face as they were his only Las Cannons!

Then the same Dread now deployed behind his lines stomps over to his objective and kills the combat squad holding it first 2 with the storm bolter then the rest in Assault leaving one objective in my hands and the remaining objective contested at the last minutes by my Scouts and their LS Storm.

... I was a happy chappy and it was my 3rd ever game and the first I've ever won!

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just to add I thought it was all over at the begining when he Drop Pods 10 Sternguard right in my deployment zone and unleashes a rapid fire volley that cut down one of my Combat Squads in one turn, I knew his ranged was worse than his assault so I fired into them with my Captain and his Aux grenade Launcher, then my 2nd Dread unleashed it's heavy flamer and lascannons into them, then assaulted with my Captain and Dread mopping them up over 2 turns in Assault - also made me happy :D

·
Registered
201 Posts
i would suggest
5 scouts combi melta plus power fist sergant
infiltrate them
scout move them
move them
shoot with them
assault with them

but taking risk is a good thing(cause its fun)
other way is just counter him with terminators with thunder hammers and storm shields and hammer it...

or ignore the LR

1 - 12 of 12 Posts