Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys
So I've just got back into 40k after my exams, and I've picked up where I left off with my Nids. But I noticed that although the Nids fluff is good and some of the models a brilliant, everyone else has is better. Should I continue with Nids?
Many thanks
The Weekly Wargamer

·
Thordis
2,438 Posts
Hey guys
So I've just got back into 40k after my exams, and I've picked up where I left off with my Nids. But I noticed that although the Nids fluff is good and some of the models a brilliant, everyone else has is better. Should I continue with Nids?
Many thanks
The Weekly Wargamer
is it the most appealing army for you? then yes.
is it not the most appealing army for you anymore ? then no.

the only answer I can realy come up with.

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
As already stated this is more of a personal choice. Ask yourself what your wanting out of the hobby then go with it. It is to pricey of a thing to be into if you do not like what you are doing.

Nids can be quite strong depending on the builds. Yes they do not have some of the toys that others have but many of the nid players I have encountered do quite well despite this.

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts
The problem people have with nids is that they don't play like they used to. Back in 3rd and 4th ed you could tool your bugs how you wanted and they would perform as well as the best of any army.

Nowadays, that level of customization doesn't exist, but you can easily compensate for one unit's shortcomings with other units. The army on the table now plays closer to how you would expect eldar to. Which means you need a list that compliments itself internally.

Try out some combos and check the army lists section here for ideas. They can work. You just have to be a bit more careful now.

·
Closet Dictator
3,428 Posts
If you like nids then stick with them, you know how 40k goes it is swings and round abouts with armies, some editions up, some down, they are are very unique army

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
If you still enjoy painting and playing with nids, what other armies have doesn't matter. Whatever army you play you will suffer from "The grass is always greener" syndrome.
This. The feel, look and cool factor of the army is paramount. The rules will change and the opponents will change - The joy you have in seeing your models on the table won't.

·
Registered
23 Posts
"The grass is always greener" syndrome
This is insanely true. I've seen multiple people flagging on 'nids (to name one of many others) at my current group. But the die-hards love them. Best to always think away from what's "THE BEST" and think "what looks cool stomping/driving/spontaneously combusing towards the enemy?".

·
Registered
199 Posts
I collect Nids and if I had to start over - I'd still choose them. Even though the rules are against close combat, I still play for it and nothing better for it than Nids (I know you can argue about that).

Only downside is the half of the fluff - since you cannot have hero chracters like Space Marines saving worlds from doom - Tyranids are the doom. They are always on the offensive and the beast work together for the "greater good" of the hive fleet.

Then the plus side on the fluff is that you are the one that everyone fears, you are the ultimate end destroying worlds of it's life. Planets must be destroyed before you so you can't gather more strength. (Who doesn't like the Inquisition :))

Codex has it good units and bad units, but times change. (To be honest I can't understand why so many people hate it) You can have a flying circus, you can a stealth army of stealers and Lictors, you can have biocannons of Biovores and Exorcines, etc. No matter what you will choose you'll have a great time.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I have no idea why people hate on nids, flyrants are one of the best units in the entire game currently. And thematically speaking, a horde of bugs ala starship troopers is awesome. Being the bad guy is awesome. And you can paint them any way you'd like, and it would look awesome.

Don't listen to the internet. Most people just repeat what someone else says after they play a game or two.

·
Registered
42 Posts
This is an interesting thread. I feel your pain and I'm a chaos player.

I'd say, personally, stick with it. Chaos are at a weak point at the moment and I have considered other armies, but you obviously chose Nids for a reason.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I feel like these kind of threads pop up continuously and that's something to consider as well. As a number of other people have already said, times change. In a couple of months the situation might be completely different, as the Codexes get updated. I've got a few armies that I've started collecting purely on the coolness factor, and Tyranids are at the top of that list. Watched Starship Troopers and then BAM!, spent some money on gribbly alien critters :victory: Nothing in the world will make me give up my beloved Nids, even though they might not be the top-tier army out there.

And this I think is the most important thing: Do you enjoy them? That's the only thing that really matters :grin:

- Loran

·
Registered
533 Posts
The most powerful nid lists are nothing to scoff at (6+ FMCs in 1850 points is no joke) but outside of skyblight variant lists it's a struggle to put together a tyranid list that's competitive. Forget making a list that can effectively deal with everything.

As a nid player myself the frustrating thing is there's no real way of doing a competitive list that is also fluffy. I won't field more than one hive tyrant because the notion seems absurd, and you really need more than one dakka flyrant to hang with the top lists other armies bring to the table.

I've contented myself with the idea that my nids will never be tournament standard but they can be a solid semi competitive list that will at least present problems to genuine good lists. For tournament play I'll just go with an IG + knight list I've been working on recently that I think should be able to hold its own with whatever is out there. At least with IG they've been one of the most consistent armies out there (never been bad as far as I know), whereas tyranids are at the other end of the spectrum and if they're your only army you're really going to be at the mercy of every rule change that happens because core rules never seem to be written with tyranids in mind. Look what happened to shadow in the warp. In a few years maybe one of two of our defining game mechanics might actually work again

·
Registered
3,694 Posts

I stayed true to chaos since 3rd edition and no 5th edition s*itty codex or dumb nerfbat have ever hingered my allegiance to the Dark Gods!
If you like Nids stay with them, become a master of your own tools and smash faces and arses. They are not bad. Worse than eldar and tau, shure, but who isn't. If you feel right to be a pussy and jump in to the (momentaneously) winning sidecar of Fish-face aliens (tau) and Kinky space suckers (eldars) then...i won't stop you, but Crom will cast you out of Valhallah and will laugh at you!

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
The most powerful nid lists are nothing to scoff at (6+ FMCs in 1850 points is no joke) but outside of skyblight variant lists it's a struggle to put together a tyranid list that's competitive. Forget making a list that can effectively deal with everything.

As a nid player myself the frustrating thing is there's no real way of doing a competitive list that is also fluffy. I won't field more than one hive tyrant because the notion seems absurd, and you really need more than one dakka flyrant to hang with the top lists other armies bring to the table.
Every 'competitive' army is built around the same few units. Tyranids are no different in that regard - they have one build that's a really good list to take to a tournament, and then also-rans for the majority of games (in GW's eyes - I've never met anyone who plays most of their games in tournaments but I know they exist). Personally, I don't think all the Eldar and Tau hate is unwarranted. A lot of people with very imbalanced armies have been beaten by imbalanced Eldar and Tau armies, because a good tournament list isn't reactionary - Tau and Eldar will move around a lot and shoot you all day with Str6/7 and a lot of it. At the moment, people are building super uber awesome tournament lists that are really weak to masses of Str6/7 firepower and suffer against a mobile force, and 7th edition rewards being able to move fast and shoot people. It's possible to beat Tau and Eldar, even possible to beat them easily, but you have to build around something that isn't moving and shooting because they do it better than you do.

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
Every 'competitive' army is built around the same few units. Tyranids are no different in that regard.

This is very true if you are going competitive. I am still trying to figure out orks as competitive but the battlewagon rush seems to be it.

To the OP stay with Nids if you love them it will carry through these down times. I have been with orks since 1994 back when orks suck was all I heard until the new codex came out and Nob bikers were the rage and suddenly my orks that sucked were now cheesy. Now they are good but not the best.

Really unless you are playing Eldar or Space Marine never expect your army to be the best in tournaments. Even with a new codex I think Nids will be good probably near the top but they will never beat out Space marines or Eldar for top spot. Eldar have lots of good strong options and Space Marines have tons of toys and options they can bring and being GW's poster boys they aren't going to let them not be great.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
I disagree - Marines were really pretty bad in 4th ed and they were distinctly average before that. It's only 5th, 6th and 7th where Marines have come into their own as a powerful army (in no small part due to the flexibility in list-building - they don't have a unit or even a single build that props up the Codex, which makes them a really good army). Eldar have one list that's really hard to beat if you don't have hard counters (Ignores Cover anti-tank with either long range or extreme mobility), but the same can be said of Tau, Tyranids and Daemons all of whom are also very strong against generalist armies at the moment (with Broadsides, Skyblight and Flying Circus respectively). I think Eldar have seen a hit from the proliferation of Imperial Knights in 7th as well - being virtually immune to most Eldar guns and being able to catch and kill Wave Serpents with ease is a very strong point in their favour.

And now a hypothetical:

Bully Boyz/Blitz Brigade Orks are a good list purely through the difficulties that many armies in the tournament meta have to deal with them - getting through 30+ T4 2+ save wounds and five AV14 vehicles that are in your face turn 1, assaulting (and killing pretty much everything other than Hammernators, Deathwing Knights and Imperial Knights) on turn 2, is something that a pile of Str6/7 AP- shots just aren't really up to.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts