Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know GW for example do a gazillion colours now.

I was wondering if there is a guide, free or otherwise which helps point out which colour to base, which to was, which to highlight and which to edge . . . for most common colours.

I can roughly do the techniques and I can work out a palette to some extent, as in I know for the most part to pick a core colour, then because of my models types (Chaos, Dark Eldar, Cryx), I then take drab kind of cloth, then one, maybe two bright colours for gems or whatever.

But particularly for the core colour I can never seem to get the right wash/highlight colours. For example I am doing purple on genestealers. I saw somone using a grey to highlight that and I would never have thought of that. Likewise on here I was doing a treeman and somone told me to wash my green on him with brown, which worked awesome (I had washed just brown).

Any help for a basic "this is how you do blues, this is how you do purples" etc etc would be great

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
The colors you choose to highlight is the mastery of the highlighting section - You can get tips from other painters, but there isn't a clear guide as to what to use for which color.

In the end it depends on what you want achieve and what hue you're going for. A good example is the grey for purples, which tones it down slightly.

I think the best approach is to ask for certain examples, and certain models that you're working on. Many of us here would love to help out and each painter has his/her own tips and tricks up his/her sleeve.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Depending on what the model it, will certainly affect how you want to washe its e.g. steal on an ork may be washed with agrax earthshade for a more grubby steel whereas pn a bolter will just be nuln oil.

Talking to the manager at my FLGS he has been talking about the new paint sets as so. THe paint system is meant to be at its basics base wash layer layer. Whetehr the two layers are a layer and a highlight or highlight and extreme highlight is up to you. but in the base section you get the base for the main colours, the washe set gives you the corresponding wash (pretty easy to figure out carrebourg crimson for red etc.) and then the layer box then gives the layers for that sets. SO if you wan somethin to go by look at those piants as a reference and think how that correspond to any other colours in the range.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Actually, GW does paint collections for just about everything you can think of. Check them out, write down the order they have the colours listed, and bang away with trying things out.

Some examples:
Fire Dragons
Yellow
Tau Armour
Brass
Khaki

Basically I look up what they suggest as the flow of their colours and try that to start. If I see something I would rather substitute in or something that I'd rather leave out that's always allowed, but it has been invaluable to me.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all,

I have done trial and error on some things.

This all kind of reminds me of music. When I was younger I played the keyboard, it was all mechanical though. I could learn to do it but I could never play by ear. It is the same with paint, I cannot "just see it" like someone who is just naturally gifted at art (or in the case of music is not tone deaf like I am).

I did read some stuff on Colour Theory which helped a bit.

It is quite frustrating because put me in front of code or spacial problems and I can just naturally think both inside and outside of the box.

I will take a look at the GW sets as that seems like a good idea. I probably have like half of the paints so I can just fill in those I do not. Mostly I need new washes and some of the lighter highlights. I want to try and go for some of the more extreme highlights as I find my models often come out too dark when viewed on a tabletop rather than under lighting for photographs.

·
Registered
533 Posts
As always, when figuring out a scheme never practice on the models themselves- use the spare parts from plastic kits. It took near a dozen attempts to get a blue I was happy with for my Alpha Legion guys. OTOH with my tyranids I didn't test out different colours and just went straight ahead with my original idea, and while I like the scheme it isn't quite what I was going for.

Like you mentioned grey is great for highlighting. Whatever the current equivalent of the old fortress grey is, that works a treat when mixing to get a lighter edge highlight without using a directly brighter version of the layer beneath. I love the way GW do their leviathan nid carapaces for example.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts