Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the new Chainaxes of khorn counting as heavy closcombat weapons?

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
New chainaxes are just regular CCWs

·
Inquisitor
963 Posts
No, they cut the sack off Khorne. All we get is furious charge, fearless, and +1 attack.
And WS 5. Isnt that enough for less than 25pts a model??

·
Registered
428 Posts
WS 5 is good IF I can get them to H2H. It seems like no matter what I do short of Drop pods these guys are a fire magnet (I play against a very shooty/static armies). If I send rhinos across the board everything but the kitchen sink gets thrown at them. Then once they are on the ground bright red armor screams "shoot me". Oh well one day I will make contact with the enemy with over 50% of my starting force.:laugh:

·
Inquisitor
963 Posts
Yeah thats about the way I feel about my Grey Knights... Its either foot shlog through terrain/cover or take a Land Raider to provide taxi service. I have yet to have a successfull deep strike squad.

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
1: put them in a boring looking rhino (but one with distinguishing marks so you can note it on your army sheet).

2: Put several other squads in rhinos. Now not only do they have more targets to focus on, but now they;re not so sure which one has the zerks.

Or, buy a Land Raider ;-)

·
Registered
428 Posts
Or, buy a Land Raider ;-)
I will eventually purchase one, but I am leary of any 200+ point item that is put on the board. Survivable as it is statistically, once again it would just be a fire magnet. So maybe throw 'zerks in a rhino and let Landraider soak up all the fire. Vary each game by where I put the blood god's minions to keep whoever I am playing on their toes.

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
Well, there's some advantage in the fact that chaos raiders are cheaper point wise than SM ones.
But not after you factor in buying Possession since you don;t have machine spirit.

Anyhow, the raider is pretty survivable, but a fakeout would be fun. Especially if you paint it red and put the zerks in a nice, sedate looking black rhino.

I;ve been putting my Death Company into a Crusader, and it;s very hard to knock down

·
Inquisitor
963 Posts
Lol... I've lost my Crusader in every game I've played it but one... my regular LR on the other hand have usually faired better. I played one army where I had all 4 of my LR on the table in a 2000pt game. Devastated my opponent as he had no meltas to take them down. He never made that mistake again tho.. now he always runs meltas just like I do :)

Yeah LR are a hit or miss type thing.. they either work really well because your opponent fails to knock them out or they go really badly because your opponent kills it early on. No matter what they are big fire magnets but if you have multiple LR it really scares your opponent and he wont know which one to take out first.

·
Registered
177 Posts
looking in my 40k rule book chain axes count as heavy weapons so they opposition needs to take a 4+ armour svae reguardless of if he has better

·
Registered
41 Posts
New Codex, overrides the old, and anyway the chain axe isnt technically listed in the Bezerker's wargear, simply a ccw and bolt pistol, so they could all have pitchforks or knuckles braces for all the rules care about it.

ps. oo, Khornate Medicine Balls as CCWs... or Cowprods... that'd be sweet.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I'm running a BA list with chaos models - all my chainaxe berzerkers are in one unit, painted black, as Death Company (my other, red-with-different-helmets, chainsword berzerkers count as assault units, honour guard etc). The 'rending' rules for Death Company are the most reasonable approximation I can find of the old 'heavy cc weapon' rules.

·
Registered
517 Posts
New chainaxes are just regular CCWs
Well, that's actually good, as I plan to use midified Ork boyz as Khorne Berzerkers in my future Ork/Chaos army... So yay for that.

·
Registered
176 Posts
No, they don't count as heavy close combat weapons. Neither do Choppas on the new Orks - so that section of the rulebook is completely obsolete come January. The rulebook itself will replaced not too long after though anyway.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts