Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the way the new codices are heading is the loss of Traits for SM’s and Traits for the IG inevitability? I think it could well be.

This current trend to streamline the game in the recent codices will spell doom for the traits and doctrines systems. I think that this will be a great shame. The 40K galaxy is supposed to be vast and varied and the armies of the Imperium are drawn from a myriad of worlds each of which is different if we lose the ability to represent that in our games I feel it would be a great loss to the hobby.

What do the rest of you think? What does the rumour mill say?

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
I reckon traits are going, but i dont think it's any great loss, the FOC is flexible enough to have varied fluff armies. If you want a fast army, use DA or BA rules. I use the BA codex for my Fists successors, its not very restrictive
Guard won't have a new codex for a while, so i wouldnt think doctrines will be out. i think theyre also much more central to making an effective list. though i can see a rejig of the codex (when it happens) making doctrines obsolete.

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
Defintly. The game is being dumbed down for reasons which have been said by more people than I care to count and I therefore wouldn't be adding my 2 cents.

Its ok for the SM players as they have different Chapter codexs to go to when they want variation and (if rumour is true) CSM's won't be to bad off either due to cult troops which could (potentially) heavily theme a army. The rest of the armies don't have that luxury which was why when the Doctrines came out for IG I was dancing with joy. Yea sure the same doctrines kept getting used for Comps but that is the same for every army.

So basically yes it's coming and no I'm not happy about it. :| :? :(

(This may, in part, stem from being made to wear a uniform at school untill I was 18, having to be clean shaven, no hair gell, no hair die, short hair etc. I just escaped high-school and I want to express my individuality dam it!)

·
Ex Mod.
4,245 Posts
(This may, in part, stem from being made to wear a uniform at school untill I was 18, having to be clean shaven, no hair gell, no hair die, short hair etc. I just escaped high-school and I want to express my individuality dam it!)
that sucks hard.

and i the SM traits need reviewing, however if they disposed of the Guard doctrines it would kill the entire army. seeing as you need to lots of £££ (or $$$) getting a guard army together they wouldnt do that.

if they did..well...the gurd would be even shitter than daemonhunters.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Well.. i ccertainly hope not.

Personally, I do not use them. I rather don't see their use unless creating a fluffy army with spice-well, maybe one or two are good; their cheeseyness is in question, too, though.

Others like to use them though. So keep'em.

·
Banned
801 Posts
Well, there's a simple way of seeing why they'd change them.

Eldar never had them and didn't need them. No optional rules.

Chaos never had them and didn't need them. No optional rules, but an assload of codex printings.

Tau never had them and didn't need them. No optional rules.

Specific space marine armies used to need them, but with their own codex they don't. No optional rules.

Dark Eldar and Orks haven't seen the light of day. DE won't need them. Orks might be improved by them, but without seeing the rules nobody knows.

Space Marines really could use them, to provide some difference between the players of this most popular army. However, now that there are a variety of noncodex armies for the really big divergences, the current doctrines could feasibly be contracted until they were functionally contained in the basic codex.

Imperial guard, though, really do need them. They're the only effective means thus far of giving the players the full scale of options. It is possible that they could be folded into the main rules, but that would take a great deal of effort.

This is the problem most of you seem to be having in your thinking. They will not take the old codex, cut out the doctrines section, and call it fourth edition. IF the doctrines go, they will be replaced by something similar, or their rules effect will be folded into the main army.

Personally, though doctrines are a pleasing way of making armies diffferent, they're easy to exploit and are almost always used in ways counter to their original intent. Originally, you were supposed to pick some while making your army to make it more appealing to you. However, most people have just seen them as an extra layer of strategic advantage, and pick and mix per game for whatever help they can get. As such, either doctrines will stay like this, or be changed to fix it.

If they stay the same, they are effectively more codex options. In line with GW's policy of streamlining and many options, then they'd be slung into the main codex. The difference would be minute, though nobody would see it that way.

If they change, they'd have to be in some way permanent for the army, or make sense to be changeable. High strategy and military organisation doesn't change from fight to fight, so that doesn't work. It'd either see srict and seemingly arbitrary rules to lock down the doctrines, or the general effect of doctrines weakened and most of them folded into the codex.

·
Registered
100 Posts
i seriously doubt GW will get rid of doctrines and traits. I think they will just be simplified, such as combining several doctrines and have a cumulative point value. also i really don't see them going because as Uber said the new codexes we've seen so far haven't ever really had traits/doctrines in them so we can't really be sure

·
Registered
368 Posts
It boils my blood to think of the loss of any traits because some people cant be bothered. Its not like you have to take them!!!!!!!!! you can just ignore them and have a bog standard army. The traits are there to personalise your army. I enjoy and wholly recommend personalisation of your army beyond just the modelling side.

·