Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes thats right! My Savlar chem dogs are stealing again!

However my question is about Nitro Chem inhalers. In the doc's section of the codex it sez that special equipment must be applied to everybody! So with that in mind, do i have to give my rough riders chem inhaler?

MarzM :mrgreen:

·
Registered
630 Posts
I thought with special equipment Is was all guard Infantry had to take It therefore conscripts, RR's, Ogryn etc could do without?

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well i started off using the Savlar Chem dogs rules but i think im going to use them as a basis, and change the doctrines and make my own penal legion (no sniggering at the back!)

1, Chem Inhalers
2, Light Infantry
3, Rough Riders

This is where it changes

4, Close order Drill.( i'll rename it mob/gang mentality)

Originally i was going to have a command HQ with a junior officer with honourifica and a master vox that just sat in the corner to give the whole army L9 (dont want commissars in the army). However, i worked out that for the same points, i could get rid of all the vox's and the Imperialis, take a vet serg in every unit + C/O/D which would give me the same and i wouldn't be reliant on my opponent not having a damn whirlwind or basilisk or defiler! I also discovered that i had enough points left over for a banner, an extra power weapon and 2 more flamers! result!

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well it is easier to kill 5 guards men that give me Ld 9 than it is to kill the other 104. lol

Oh and with the point i still have left over, i can even afford to give the vet sergs all boltguns! All i have to do is find a careless marine who will leave one lying around!

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
I've always been a fan of the vox net - with my luck any extra point of leadership is good.But for your army its quite fluffy to have "wardens" leading each squad.

Have you got any ideas for your Rough Riders? - I love seeing those conversions. The idea that immediatly springs to mind is mounted Wardens with Stun Batons/Lances.

Just one thing from a fluff point of veiw "Light Infantry" doesn't really seem to fit.

·
Ex Mod.
4,245 Posts
ahh, the vox net is expensive and vulnerable. if you know what youre doing the vox hq will easily go west.
vet sarg and close order drill will do the job just as well.

The light infantry doctrine represents lightly armed and armoured troops. EG Tanith first, who are only wear kevlar armour and carry carbine lasguns, as opposed to regiments of heavily armed and armoured regiments such as Volpone 5oth.

a penal legoin will be neither armoured or armed well, as the death of the entire legion will mean nothing to the commanders. therefore it isnt a bad choice gamewise and could easily be incoroprated into fluff.

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
Good point. My impression of the Light Infantry doctrine was of really well trained troops etc. But your one also makes sence.

You could also look at getting Conscripts - since that is basiclly what they are.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well i thought about the last chancers! I think their fairly cool.

As for the rough riders, im probably going to do them the same way as the rest of the army ie, plastercard, greenstuff, chaos termi heads for a few, mix of cadian and catachan plastics + any other mini i like. After all they steal most of their kit anyways. But i think i'll mount them on the old cold ones. I thought about the old mutie steeds but apparently you cant get them any more! boo hoo

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
I've seen teh Sabretoothed cats done twice. Once was in a Amazon/Dogs of War Army for Fanatasy and the other was a Squad of Rough Riders for Golden Deamon Australia. It didn't win any awards unfortuantly which I thought it should have since i was very well done, it was just in a montage of pictures.

I think the main reasons people don't go for those as mounts is because there are only two poses, they are metal and very few people know how to paint stripes or spots well enough to look natural. Cold Ones are quiet simple to paint. I'm am seriously considering making a squad of them even though a lot of people do them.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts