Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ask because today I've seen/heard two instances of Str D performing waaay above my expectations of what a D-weapon should do. The first was in the FLGS - some guys were bitching about the Wraithknight, in particular our Knight player. He reckoned that Wraithknights were ridiculous as he'd played a game where two Wraithsword Wraithknights, one with Invisibility and one with no support, had destroyed three of his Knights by the end of turn 3 with no damage dealt in return. The second is in the Tactics forum at the moment, where a Lord of Skulls charged an Imperial Knight and took '19 Hull Points of damage'.

Am I playing D wrong or is it really the case that anything you point it at is erased from existence? My Knight Errant very, very rarely does any damage with it's Reaper Chainsword - WS4 A3 is a really, really shitty profile for 370pts even with Strength D, because you can't get many hits, you still have to roll that 2+, and it doesn't ignore Invulnerable saves unless you get a six.

On a related point while I'm thinking about it (D-defence), most guys with Str D are also super, super big - sure, a lot are winged or Jump but if you layer a thin screen of infantry around your important unit, the Wraithknight still has to get it's huge base into the space without being within 1" of another model.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I don't really see it, but then I haven't played that much strength D. I largely think it depends what you are up against, for instance a wraithknight against an infantry blob isn't *that* efficient as it has to kill plenty of bodies to get there (okay it dpes have its stomp on top) but then against a superheavy, its likely to do a lot of damage few other units can do and its not going to completely overkill the model either.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
but if you layer a thin screen of infantry around your important unit, the Wraithknight still has to get it's huge base into the space without being within 1" of another model.
Pretty easy to clear a hole in bubble wrap with an Eldar shooting phase. Still, true.

Str D is... quite strong, but my main thing is that it's basically auto-removal of whatever gets hit by it, with little to no recourse. Sure, storm shields and the like can kind of tank it, but... then you roll a 6 on a Stomp and poof, no recourse, no defenses. Since both of these big D-melee foot tall minis also have Stomps.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I think a few D weapons here or there is ok since a 3 on something hitting once or twice only happens in a game a few times. When there is D everywhere, obviously the chances for rolling a 6 is higher, and 6 + d6 with no saves is massive and adds up fast

·
JUGGERNUT
2,558 Posts
The Lord of Skulls better deal that many effing hull points, for 888 points.

I like my D-Thirsters. If they survive to I1, they will probably annihilate whatever they're fighting. They said, they die quite easily as well. Plenty of drawbacks to the unit, unlike Wraithknights, who are both cheap and have access to ranged OR I5 D attacks AND the bonuses of being a gargantuan.

Over all I don't think it's a huge issue, really. My little dudes already get shot up by non D weapons. Frequently multiples of my heavy hitter units such as Maulerfiends die on turn 1 before doing anything anyway.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Str D is... quite strong, but my main thing is that it's basically auto-removal of whatever gets hit by it, with little to no recourse. Sure, storm shields and the like can kind of tank it, but... then you roll a 6 on a Stomp and poof, no recourse, no defenses. Since both of these big D-melee foot tall minis also have Stomps.
Rolling a 6 is kinda unreliable though (although I will admit I can't say much from personal experience as my gaming group agreed from day one before any playtesting that Stomps would roll for each model underneath the template like a normal Blast weapon instead of rolling for each blast marker, making them far, far less powerful).

Without that roll of a 6, it's basically just Str10 AP2, except most D-weapons are either very expensive or single shot/small blast. If I could choose between Vortex of Doom or Psychic Maelstrom, I'd pick Psychic Maelstrom every time.

The Lord of Skulls better deal that many effing hull points, for 888 points.
No, as in a Lord of Skulls charged an Imperial Knight and died before striking when it took 19 hull points. From an Imperial Knight. EDIT: Although doing that in my head, it's physically impossible, so dunno what's going on there.

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How is with 3 Strength D Attacks impossible? 2 6's and a 2-5 gets you 15 minimum, meaning you'd need to roll a 4 on a 2d6 and a d3.
Through me not knowing how D weapons work is how, forgot that it's 6+D6 on a Deathblow rather than just 6 ignoring defences.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts