Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In one of the games I played on Friday, I rolled a 6 for the initial Eye of the Gods gift for my Chosen. As I had Favour on the Champion I could adjust this +/-1 to make it 5,6, or 7. This got me to thinking:

If you roll a 2 or a 7 on the initial Chosen roll you can re-roll; if, for any roll on the table, you roll a gift you already have you can re-roll. So, can you use Favour of the Gods to modify the roll into a result that you can re-roll, or do you only get to re-roll if using the natural roll?

At the time we noted it as a curiosity because I was happy enough with 6; however, thinking about it from my sofa with a cup of coffee, the rules for Favour specifically say it cannot modify a natural 2 so I think it therefore can be used to replace any other roll with a new number and hence can trigger a re-roll.

However, especially with the addition of one or more War Shrines, that makes a cheap item much more powerful, so part of me feels it might not be what was intended.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Yes you can use Favour to effcetively "force" whatever result you want.

this includes chosing a duplicate result to force a re-roll.

You cannot force it off the table though. So it's 2-12 only.

Start taking that flying khorne woman, I forget her name, she let's you mess with the table too. At that point it's pretty much "Chose what you want"

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
I dont think it would be allowed to be rerolled if you used Favor to move it to 2 or 7.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I dont think it would be allowed to be rerolled if you used Favor to move it to 2 or 7.
You can at the start of the game as Chosen cannot start with either result.

2 = 2, 3
3 = 2, 3, 4
4 = 3, 4, 5
5 = 4, 5, 6
6 = 5, 6, 7
7 = 6, 7, 8
8 = 7, 8, 9
9 = 8, 9, 10
10 = 9, 10, 11
11 = 10, 11, 12
12 = 11, 12

Yellow = re-roll

at this point you effectively get:

"Chose anything from 3-6" forcing it to 2 or 7 to keep re-rolling
OR
"Chose anything from 8-12"

Depending on if you roll high or low

A roll under 9 is preferable as you can engineer that all day long and some of the lower result are beefy.

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
I'm not sure, but it might be worth taking into account The Terrifying Mask of Eee! - You cause Terror, so Cause Fear/Cause Terror are two less results, so you reroll that. You reroll 2, and you Reroll 7.

I suppose based on averages, you're more likely to roll a 2/3/6/7/8 than a 2/7/8/9, and that later in the battle you can avoid that dreaded 2/7 (tbh, I don't have the book to hand - does it specify that the Chosen are immune to 2/7 only for the purposes of Chosen of the Gods, or is that just general that they're immune to 2/7?), but it also means you're not wasting a valuable roll (from the Warshrine) on a pathetic Fear/Terror.

I suppose if you're really keen on the Eye of the Gods, you can't go far wrong with an Axe of Khorne+Eye of the Gods BSB in the unit (The Champion with the Mask of Eee!, and the USB having the Razorbanner for extra giggles - 5 S6 attacks with -4 to armour saves and Killing Blow), when backed up by a Warshrine or two.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The 'Mask of Eee!' would only cause the bearer to cause terror, so the others who roll for Eye of the Gods could still benefit from that roll on Eye of the Gods, and therefore, no reroll.
"Q. If the Warshrine grants an Eye of the Gods roll to a unit and the
result is a duplicate to a previous roll the unit (or a model inside the
unit) already has, should you re-roll it? (p58)
A. Yes"
- p3, FAQ

So, if you are rolling due to a Shrine and a character in the unit causes Terror you must re-roll. It would be very odd if a different rule applied to rolls due to killing a character or large target.

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
Thats a very weird combo- you could roll "cause terror" on the table and be forced to reroll it (or edit your roll to get a reroll)... then have 95% of your unit fail a fear test later in the same phase.

A weird example would be 2 units of HE fighting each other, both containing Caradryan; both units have a fear causer so both take a fear test (lets say both fail), now everyone not immune to fear has WS1... which is everyone except the rival Caradryan models (causing fear gives fear immunity).

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Summary: Favour of the Gods is very very good for 5 points, provided you have one or more shrines.

Mask of Eee! on Chosen Champions is lolworthy.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Back to the original question, I don't think you can use Favor of the Gods to reroll the initial Chosen roll, since that is a roll for the unit as a whole, and Favor specifies "...the bearer may add or subtract one from his roll."

While the wording could use a little work to avoid rules-lawyering, the intent is clear that it is meant to be for a single character roll on the table, and would therefore have no effect on the Chosen initial roll, or Warshrine rolls.

Let the nay-saying commence...

·
Dark Knight
985 Posts
Let the nay-saying commence...
this is ture you can take it either way and there is still no FAQ (or l still have not found it) on the issue l just ask my foe is it ok and there has been only one person who said no so far.

@ HiveMinder you love setting the thread's on fire dont you :wink:

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Back to the original question, I don't think you can use Favor of the Gods to reroll the initial Chosen roll, since that is a roll for the unit as a whole, and Favor specifies "...the bearer may add or subtract one from his roll."
Also the fact that it says "At the start of the game" which if I remember correctly, is before deployment, which means there cannot possibly BE a character in the unit. The only way to use Favour there is to give it to the champion, in which case it would allow you to +/- 1 to the roll.

therefore have no effect on ... Warshrine rolls.
Wrong. As has already been pointed out, the FAQ clearly states that if a character in a unit already causes Terror and you roll "Terror" as a result for a Warshrine blessing on the unit he is in, you reroll the result.

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
Random question- does the reroll for the eye of the gods ignore (ie- is there an exception to it) the no multiple re-roll rules? So if you roll a 2 and get to reroll it, does rolling a 2 again then screw you over?

·
Registered
443 Posts
Random question- does the reroll for the eye of the gods ignore (ie- is there an exception to it) the no multiple re-roll rules? So if you roll a 2 and get to reroll it, does rolling a 2 again then screw you over?
Yes, you get multiple rerolls.

This is a bit embarrassing, but the answer is totally in the FAQ in the Q & A section. Not only that, but it's going to make me eat my words from my previous post.

Q: If the Favour of the Gods enchanted item is given to a champion of a unit of Chosen, can the unit benefit from it when it makes its roll on the Eye of the Gods table before the game? And when it makes a roll thanks to the Chaos Warshrine?

A: Yes.

@sybarite: It's not that I particularly enjoy starting arguments in threads, its just that I usually try to sort out the RAI through the RAW, and that often ruffles a lot of feathers.

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
@ T/S We treat is as rolling a 7.

At the start of the game doesn't particularly specify when. It's not "before the movement phase", or "after deployment phase", but "before the game starts". So, when exactly do you place your characters? Before the game starts? Or midway through the game?

Through all this RAW versus RAI, stuff, hiveminder, do you bother to check the official sources to the rules questions - i.e FAQ's first?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 20 of 26 Posts