Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So far i have not found the docten iron D all that usefull..
debating to go with a ratling squad instead as i think i may get more use out of them than some rairly used doctren that may not even work....

But i notice almost every list has it.

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
It's not absolutely necessary, but it can be very useful. Anything that keeps your squads in the fight is worth the points, generally speaking. It's inexpensive to boot, and it's a leadership buff--something the guardsmen tend to need.

·
The Traveler
2,559 Posts
I only use Iron D on offenses. For Defense, I stick to Close Order Drill. It's free, and the benefits are good. Just make sure your opponent doesn't have any Ordnance.

-Dirge

·
Registered
995 Posts
I almost always take it

·
Banned
280 Posts
Keep in mind that you HAVE to use it if you have it....

I usually prefer my IG running....
Not true. You can quite easily "turn off" the Iron Discipline effect by using the Infantry Squad's basic moral, not the officer's. Hence Iron Discipline is an excellent doctrine, whereas something like Die Hards is not.

It's an excellent doctrine, and has kept more than one unit in the fight for me, especially the part of it that allows units to regroup below half strength. It's not mandatory, you can do without it, but why forgo it? It's so cheap it isn't funny. If it keeps even one unit from fleeing, then it's already justified its own cost several times over.

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
Regrouping below half is a big deal. The less than half squad will quite often still contain guys with interesting weapons like lascannons, and having them stop running can help a lot.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Regrouping below half is a big deal. The less than half squad will quite often still contain guys with interesting weapons like lascannons, and having them stop running can help a lot.
You can't win if your guys run off the table.

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
I don't think we disagree. I'm saying it helps if your guys can rally below half strength, as they will often have the weapons you upgraded the squad with and can do some real damage. Also you save a bunch of VPs of course.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I was agreeing with you. Iron D has saved my game many a time. Unless your unit is equipped entirely with storm bolters, you are pretty much screwed.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmmm, good points, was not aware you simply could opt not to use it. i think i'll keep it mainly because as a guard unit with 2 troops does almost as much dmg as a full 10 man squad.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts