Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
if its for friendly play yes it can be a formidable list and isnt considered as cheese only problem is first few games will be lengthy there on hell get quicker at playing but still not as quick as say a full mech force or the more smaller armies (marines and such).

so if he dont mind moving lots of models and having an army that will exceed tournament play time yet can easily be competitive yes if he wants an army thats quick then i would recommend a full battlewagon list or killa kan deff dreads list to lesser the amount of orks.

·
4,491 Posts
I started playing with the green tide, but got sick of moving 200 models in a 1500 point game.
The tide is more effective with Killa Kanz backed up by KFF Meks screening the squads of 30 Boyz.

·
Registered
221 Posts
yes yes yes, true tides are even more devastating than mostly tides.

Put simply, if you can be bothered with longer games due to model movement alone then yes, and they are awesomely powerful lists.

As an interest point, i played both of my green tide armies this weekend (in 1500)

Both lists here: http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/showthread.php?t=66150

They rocked the socks off everyone they came up against, Including a basilisk heavy IG army. They just could not get enough shots off to kill 180 orks. It was a sight to behold.

The biggest problem I have found is deployment. I almost didn't have enough room for them on the table. I would suggest though, at a tournament, people would have a hard time facing you.

----

Additional: There are 2 ways to run a green tide.

1. Kan wall,, full army + 9 Kanz with rokkits or grotzookaz

2. full tide, like the lists above.

Unfortunately no other way (I have seen, or played with) works on a largely competitive level

·
Registered
466 Posts
pretty much what they said above a good thing to add is a grot screen to this i dont leave home without it and a large number of lootas i also tend to take a weirdboy with a shoota boys unit his powers come in very handy just be ready for the random oh and some grot kannons there practicaly I.G missile launchers and for me have worked wanders. also by taking a mainly shooting army you have a very formidable force i have outshot tau and guard gunline the looks on there faces still make me smile :)

·
Registered
466 Posts
perhaps but the ork boys are your anti infantry theres not many that can best a group of boys in a fight (there are some but we'll not mention those as its blasphemy lol)

i prefer the kannon a str 8 shot can take down armour 13 and under pretty easily and you can try to glance to death land raiders. if theres no vehicles then the str 4 blast can do the trick on small units i have managed to nibble many a marine squad down leaving it easier for the boyz when they get there eventually.

now if your friend does want big gunz there recommended in groups of 2 ok so if one dies and the gretchin run its only 40 pts worth of models (if kannon) where as if it where 3 then you do start wasting points also the big gunz detract from you main units the boyz i see them as the hidden wander unit

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
I tend to play 80 boyz backed up by four deff dredds (at 1'500 points), with a Warboss and Big Mek as well as eight lootas.

The trick, I've found, is to keep the army as close together as you can, using multiple units for assault.

At 2'000 points I'm planning some changes to allow me to add another twenty boyz, ten nobz and more lootas.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts