Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Next month it will have been one year since I was introduced to WH40K. In the year that I've been playing, I've gotten to know players outside of my gaming circle. One thing that I've noticed is that (with the exception of me) everyone has multiple armies. Most have two, a few have three, and one (who's worked at a GW-affiliated store for over ten years) has every single army and more besides (I've seen his SM armies: Ultramarines, White Scars, DA, BA, BT, and Space Wolves).

So I'm wondering, is collecting multiple armies inevitable? Or are there heretics out there who have stayed with only one army in the years they've played this hobby?

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
From people iv talked to and myself included i think most gamers do eventually start collecting other armies, i started out on csm, i now also have SM, WoC, Daemons, Space Wolves, Imperial Guard. I think there to many nice models and armies just to collect one.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
i'd say its inevitable, its just a matter of time.

some will start another army every other Wednesday, some will start one every few years.

currently, i collect; imperial guard, grey knights, necrons and i am eyeing up some ravenwing in a serious manner....

·
Super Moderator
10,976 Posts
I have had a collection of every army at least once.

Currently (after a massive cleanout) I only maintain a game capable force of every xenos army.

As well as this I have Lizardmen and Tomb Kings for WHF so I say yes, multiple armies happens at one point or another.

·
Angryman
4,304 Posts
I have Chaos marines, traitor guard, dark mechanicus(GK) and Chaos demons. I only collect chaos. So technically i consider that to be one faction.(Sort of) I used to have about 4000pts of nids but i couldn't really get into them. So i sold them. For me it is all about chaos. I don't think i will play anything else.

·
Jeepers
1,354 Posts
I think at the end of the day it will happen especialy with out of date codexes.

My main army is Dark Eldar, love everything about them fluff and everything. Would of been my first army back when i started 6/7 years ago but with them being old at the time is was told the learning curve woukd be stupidly high for a beginner so never stsrted them and went for a different army, but always loved them. If i were just getting into the hobby in the last year or so DE would be my only army no problem. Saying that i have always loved Farsight lists, Chaos Legions, Adeptus Mechanicus SoB, Salamanders, Iron Hands etc and if any of them were to ever get a release i woukd probably start an armt with them.

I think its natural to look at other armys as your interest in 40k and its fkuff grows.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
I have 3 40K armies - IG, vanilla SM, and Pure Death Wing, but did have a fourth, Daemonhunters, but didn't like the new GK Codex so sold the lot.

I'm not a bandwagoner and as much a collector as a gamer, so I'll be sticking to these 3 and just increasing IG which I've played since 3rd Ed...3K of SM and DW is enough, but IG has many avenues open for collecting/building different forces.

Then there's Fantasy and Warmachine as well...different story though I guess.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I started with Tyranids. Then I gave them up for Necrons. Then I took up Fantasy and started a Daemon army (A pretty sizeable on, too for the like... 6 months we played) and I've recently started collecting Raven Guard. Not to mention the random crap I own. I've got about 1500 points of Raven Guard, 500 points of Ultramatines and two units of Dire Avengers on the shelf. On top of this, my bits box contains Chaos Space marine parts, more tyranid aprts, a Malifaux Miniature and random little bits like heads from loads of armies.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
I was CSM all the way, Had a EC theme army, Red Corsair Army, and even a small WE army. However since SWs and DE sarted to WRECK my lists everytime due to their awsomeness I had no choice but to start collecting IG. Something I ment to do for awhile. I say its inevitable. If you like winning more than losing that is.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Yep. Looking around my room I see a 2000 point Legion of the Damned (vanilla) force, a 1000 point SW force, a 1000 point DeathWing force, 500 or so points of Ravenwing, a 500 point FleshTearer force, 750 points of Dark Eldar that I'm working on at the moment, some Eldar units (Dire Avengers and Striking Scorpions), not to mention the random units and models I've bought as painting projects.

There would also be a large Chaos and Ork force, but they were unfortunately stolen some years ago.

I think I may have a problem. Anyone got the number for PlastiCrack Anonymous?

·
Registered
615 Posts
I started collecting TAU in 2001, when their new Codex came out. I hoarded up, and they were really good, i collected more TAU, and more suits, gettin a sizeable force,

And after playing many games, over a year or 2, I got bored of shootin phases, and wanted more CC, I started Word Bearers with loads of Demons and demonettes =)

I loved it, and got that Army up to speed and tournements where played..

Then I acidentally bought 1500 pts of Necrons, then I wanted Orcs, then IG, then Salamanders, then Nids... Then finally Dark Eldar..

so 11 years later and lots of painting and playing done, I`d say it is inevatable..

Why ???

CAuse I love this fucking game! simple as that:clapping:

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Yeah, I want to say it's something of an inevitable. I started with Necrons but had collected Tau and Chaos by the end of 9 years.

But don't do it- you will regret it sooner or later should you ever begin to grow disinterested!

I'm getting rid of my Tau and Chaos and I'll be damned if it's not hard as hell to do. It's like having to cut off your own arm with a rusty spoon in order to free yourself from being pinned by a boulder.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Stay Focused, TAU and Chaos with get some loving soon, and you will polish them once more, and Laugh that wickedly evil laugh!

·
Well That Was Unexpected
1,646 Posts
Yes it is.

You start one army, by the time you have (finally) nearly got it completed, you go "Oh wow the new (insert army) codex and models are out I want those instead of this boring old rubbish". (This can apply to GF's aswell).

That and the fact Tzeentch runs GW and so you have to always be changing your army to appease him.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the replies, guys. It's helped me put my feelings into perspective.

Due to circumstances I won't get into a friend of mine that I introduced to the game leaves his Ork army with me. And due to the same circumstances, I've built his army.

As a favor to him, I've been looking for Ork vehicle (and model) proxies/conversions, so I've had Orks on the brain for a couple of months now and at some point I began seriously thinking about picking up some of the models and such for myself rather than for him (and justify it by saying, I'll loan it to him for use).

Earlier today, I picked up the Ork codex, justifying it by saying I can loan it to my friend (twice he came over to play and forgot his codex, so we wound up playing video games and other things).

I don't quite want to admit it to myself right now, but I'm probably going to build up a waaagh during the year.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
owning only one army is not a good idea because of codex creep. If I had stayed with CSM only, I would be fighting an uphill battle all the time. The more armies I own, the more likely it is I will have at least 1 with a good codex out lol.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts