Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that Games Workshop is advancing the timeline of Warhammer Fantasy battles.

It certainly was a suprise that they pulled this one, but judging from what they are producing for The End Times, its looking pretty epic. So far it seems to be well recieved, which leaves me feeling its a trial run for the same thing in Warhammer 40k eventually.

Would make a lot of sense if we will be seeing it when the Horus Heresy series wraps up with the Siege of Terra in some years and moving to the second comming of the Emperor for the Age of Ending.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Now that Games Workshop is advancing the timeline of Warhammer Fantasy battles.

It certainly was a suprise that they pulled this one, but judging from what they are producing for The End Times, its looking pretty epic. So far it seems to be well recieved, which leaves me feeling its a trial run for the same thing in Warhammer 40k eventually.

Would make a lot of sense if we will be seeing it when the Horus Heresy series wraps up with the Siege of Terra in some years and moving to the second comming of the Emperor for the Age of Ending.
I really doubt they would move the timeline pass 40999, unless they change the name to warhammer 40Ks

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
I'd love if they did, but I doubt it. I reckon we'll be left on the brink, waiting for something to happen.

I do like the tone of the fluff in the SW codex and Wraight's two SW novels. It looks as if they really believe they are in the end times already, and are gearing up for the shit to hit the fan in an Imperium-ending scale. And we know who they think is gonna come back for the end times.

On top of that, over on Baal, Dante is on a massive downer, and Mephiston could be on the verge of sprouting horns.

The 13th Black Crusade is still going strong, Ghazkul is still stomping shit around the Armageddon system, and more tomb worlds are waking every day, and they still haven't fixed the golden toilet. And then there's the Shadow in the Warp.

However, the fact that the new edition makes no move forward on the 6th Ed book can be looked at in two ways; either they simply aren't moving forward at all, or they didn't put it in because they were saving it all for a similar supplement to Nagash.

If they are going to do something similar, who would be the main protagonist? If they are going to do something of a similar scale it would at the very least need to be a demon primarch, I think. Abaddon just doesn't cut it for me any more.

·
IRONBORN
424 Posts
If they are going to do something similar, who would be the main protagonist? If they are going to do something of a similar scale it would at the very least need to be a demon primarch, I think. Abaddon just doesn't cut it for me any more.
I'd understand this sentiment if this came before they announced a book series on Abbadon's rise to power to become the bringer of the End Times. So all I can say is that it's a bit silly to now say "Abbadon just doesn't cut it for me" now that they are about to properly flesh out his character and explain why he is the 40k equivalent of the Antichrist. I mean the first book just came out a few days ago for goodness sake! :p

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I HIGHLY recommend reading the Talon of Horus. It's ADB at his best and it's just such a good read.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
I'd understand this sentiment if this came before they announced a book series on Abbadon's rise to power to become the bringer of the End Times. So all I can say is that it's a bit silly to now say "Abbadon just doesn't cut it for me" now that they are about to properly flesh out his character and explain why he is the 40k equivalent of the Antichrist. I mean the first book just came out a few days ago for goodness sake! :p

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I HIGHLY recommend reading the Talon of Horus. It's ADB at his best and it's just such a good read.
Wouldn't a more apt analogy be like Archon, in fantasy, the 'greatest' chaos warlord in history and one seen as being able to destroy the Imperium (Empire) once and for all. The whole thing in the Big book made it seem like 41000 would be a floodgate opening.

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
I'd understand this sentiment if this came before they announced a book series on Abbadon's rise to power to become the bringer of the End Times. So all I can say is that it's a bit silly to now say "Abbadon just doesn't cut it for me" now that they are about to properly flesh out his character and explain why he is the 40k equivalent of the Antichrist. I mean the first book just came out a few days ago for goodness sake! :p.
If you actually read what I said you'll see I mentioned that If it was going to be a similar scale as Nagash, Abaddon just doesn't match up. We have two minis for him. He's just a big terminator. The Nagash mini is bigger than a knight Titan. So I repeat, the only thing similar in 40k is a demon primarch.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
If you actually read what I said you'll see I mentioned that If it was going to be a similar scale as Nagash, Abaddon just doesn't match up. We have two minis for him. He's just a big terminator. The Nagash mini is bigger than a knight Titan. So I repeat, the only thing similar in 40k is a demon primarch.
OR.....uber nid.....god that would be AWESOME!

·
IRONBORN
424 Posts
Ahh, apologies. I didn't think you were being literal and talking about miniature size when you said "similar scale".

·
Cruel Commissar
856 Posts
Ciaphas Cain is considered as strong canon as it comes. So I guess the IOM survives into the M42 as Sandy has been able to get away with that bit of fluff for ages now. I mean the thirteenth black crusade looks to be another failure or limited success depending on your POV when it comes to Abbaddon as I have those that can't even manage to see some humor in the setting very far up my throat.

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Meh it would be more entertaining if Abaddon crushes the Imperium on Cadia and the EoT doubles in size. Only to hit another series of Necron pylons (as yet) undiscovered.

The roar of rage from Abaddon would be humorous if nothing else.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Some cain books is set past that date.
I must concur Brother Lucian, more and more Warhammer 40k novel writers are turning to the future and the possibility that it holds.

It honestly peturbs me that Games Workshop has allowed both the 40k and Fantasy series to stagnat because they want to hold to a set dateline and not allow creative minds to explore new regions of the Fluff. The same problem faced Star Trek fans once upon a time, until "Star Trek: The Next Generation" took it to a whole new level. Star Wars faced the same situation through the 90's until we finally reached the "Phantom Menance". Then suddenly Star Wars fictions writers went overboard and creative a totally alternate future from what George Lucas had wanted. Zorgga the Hutt, Admiral Thrawn, and finally the YuZha'Vong(prob spelt that wrong). Why not let Warhammer 40k expand officially into the 42nd; just imagine the novels that would be written, the characters created, the plot lines developed, the future that has yet to be written.

Anyway that's my shpeil on the issue. I doubt they will get there, let alone allow it there.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I must concur Brother Lucian, more and more Warhammer 40k novel writers are turning to the future and the possibility that it holds.

It honestly peturbs me that Games Workshop has allowed both the 40k and Fantasy series to stagnat because they want to hold to a set dateline and not allow creative minds to explore new regions of the Fluff. The same problem faced Star Trek fans once upon a time, until "Star Trek: The Next Generation" took it to a whole new level. Star Wars faced the same situation through the 90's until we finally reached the "Phantom Menance". Then suddenly Star Wars fictions writers went overboard and creative a totally alternate future from what George Lucas had wanted. Zorgga the Hutt, Admiral Thrawn, and finally the YuZha'Vong(prob spelt that wrong). Why not let Warhammer 40k expand officially into the 42nd; just imagine the novels that would be written, the characters created, the plot lines developed, the future that has yet to be written.

Anyway that's my shpeil on the issue. I doubt they will get there, let alone allow it there.
The problem with advancing the timeline is that it's going to go one of two ways.

All factions are going to be devastated worlds are going to be destroyed and heros killed.
Anyone that escapes are going to be suffering from fan outrage.

The only other way to do it is give the favorite armies plot armor which takes away from the grimdark setting.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
So is your entire viewpoint. Nuff said.
See, to be a successful troll, you actually have to throw in some meaningful comments before going back to full troll mode. if you're always trolling, you're never trolling, if you know what I mean?

OT: I don't know if it's more "realistic". Rather than realistic, I supposed more...filled out(?) would be a better term.

We're getting more information on what all the factions want and how they're trying to get it. How it pans out...we'll have to wait and see.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts