Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a game yesterday with my mate. I challenged my Iron Warriors with a new Guard list he was going to try; foot Guard. His list however wasn't exactly the foot list I had in mind, however, it was designed to kill power armour.

Iron Warriors "Siegebreakers" - 2,000 points

HQ

1 x Daemon Prince wings, mark of nurgle & warptime

1 x Daemon Prince wings, mark of nurgle & warptime

1 x Greater Daemon

Elite

5 x Chaos Terminators icon of tzeentch, chainfist, 2 x combi meltas & heavy flamer

5 x Chaos Terminators icon of tzeentch, chainfist, 2 x combi flamers & 1 x heavy flamer

Troops

10 x Chaos Space Marines w/ Rhino 2 x meltaguns & IOCG - champion

10 x Chaos Space Marines w/ Rhino 2 x meltaguns & IOCG - champion

10 x Chaos Space Marines w/ Rhino 2 x plasma guns & IOCG - champion

Heavy Support

2 x Obliterators

2 x Obliterators

Chaos Vindicator

Imperial Guard "not so foot Guard" - 2,000 points

HQ

1 x Company Command Squad + Creed w/ Chimera - 1 x lascannon & grenade launcher

Troops

1 x Veterans w/ Chimera - 2 x meltaguns

1 x Veterans w/ Chimera - 2 x plasma guns

1 x Platoon Command Squad - 4 x plasma guns

1 x Infantry Squad + Commissar - 1 x meltagun - sgt w/ power fist & commissar w/ power fist

1 x Infantry Squad + Commissar - 1 x meltagun - sgt w/ power fist & commissar w/ power fist

1 x Heavy Weapons Squad - lascannons

Heavy Support

1 x Colossus - enclosed cab

1 x Leman Russ Executioner

1 x Leman Russ Executioner

Game: Dawn of War + Capture & Control

Deployment

I started out on the board with a single daemon prince and a meltagun CSM unit in a rhino. Guard had just a unit in a chimera. We then rolled everything on, though I kept the obliterators, terminators and obivously the greater daemon in reserve.

*Tactical Notes

The Guard have a lot of high priority stuff to kill. This list has been designed to slay Space Marines; it's got lascannons for my Rhinos, Executioners for my Princes, Terminators, Obliterators and Marines. It's got plasma and melta for Rhinos and the stuff already mentioned and a Colossus to smash my Marines from afar. Some tough stuff out there.

Even though everything in this list is a threat some things are just higher priority. The Executioners are first on my list because they threaten my expensive wrecking units like the Obliterators, Terminators and Princes and also they can kill my Marines too. Then is the Colossus because if my tanks get popped that thing can rain down and cause real pain. Meltas are next but one unit is on foot and the others don't have enough fire power and will need to close the gap, plus knowing my opponent he will bail them out the tank to fire - so I'll lose my Rhino but he'll lose his Veterans next turn. I'll be going after the lascannon teams next, I know it seems weird because they can tackle all my tough units but I'm relying on them not hitting, I hope it pays off anyway.

With regards to reserves I'm hoping everything comes in turn 3. This is when my chaos icons will be close enough to the enemy to deliver the deep strikers into range and without scattering.

Turn 1

Nothing happens for either of us as we roll units on and close range. I pop smoke on my tanks, though is wasted as only the heavy weap squads can fire but they move. One executioner fires at the daemon prince first on the table by because of night fight rules doesn't get close at all.

Turn 2

I call for reserves and everything comes on except the greater daemon, hmmm not what I wanted. A unit of oblits teleport by the first deployed melta unit and arrive in terrain, pass dangerous terrain tests ok. Terminators with meltas teleport in side of executioner which tried to fire at my daemon prince, they scatter away. Flamer terminators deep strike by the heavy weaps squad on the guard objective but scatter off board, luckily they end up back in reserve. Last oblit unit deep strikes by the other executioner and colossus, they scatter by only 7" so still can dish the pain out. The rest of my units roll up. Both princes also cast warp time.

Shooting the oblits in terrain fire multi meltas at the executioner opposite them but they're just out of melta range so don't do no damage. The melta terminators fire at the same target but just out of melta range and do nothing. The first deployed melta squad fire at a chimera with PCS in and score weapon destroyed, taking out the multi laser. The vindicator fires at the same target and scores crew stunned. Other oblits fire at the executioner with multi meltas and pop it.

In assault the first deployed prince assault the weap destroyed and stunned chimera put only does weap destroyed wrecking the heavy flamer and immobilised.

In the guard turn the blob of guardsmen move through terrain towards my prince attacking the chimera. The heavy weap squads move up the ruins to higher positions. A squad of melta vets roll out from behind a ruin and bail out to melta my first deployed melta CSM rhino.

In the shooting turn I lose the obliterators which wrecked the executioner, I cannot remember what killed them btw. The last executioner fires at the other oblits in terrain and scores a wound on each. The melta vets wreck my rhino. Colossus fires at the terminator as it's the only target, it scatters off the board though.

In assault the mass blob of guardsmen assault my daemon prince bringing a bucket load of hidden power fist attacks. My prince slays a few but takes two wounds in return.

*Tactical Notes

My plan worked taking out one Executioner but bummer I couldn't take out the other one; same because both melta weapons were only about 1 - 2" out of range. I did expect the melta vets to pop my Rhino however; but I'm hoping things will change soon. I didn't think about the platoon blob having power fists, only way to kill these is my using flamers from the obliterators and flamer terminators, if I can get them out of assault, which means a dead daemon prince.

In the next turn I need to focus fire on those heavy weap squads to stop more rhino popping, take out that colossus before it gets the chance to kill any marines and take out that last executioner. With that done majority of threats have gone.

Turn 3

I call for reserves and the flamer terminators come on, the greater daemon still hangs in the warp. The terminators deep strike by the CSM which just got popped out their rhino. Ony lands in dangerous terrain but passes armour save ok. The melta terminators don't roll good for terrain movement so run towards the executioner, the obliterators however roll lucky for their SnP move and target the side armour of the executioner. The melta CSM still in their rhino supporting the other prince move up towards the colossus and the guard objective, they bail out the rhino while the daemon prince tackles a chimera with melta vets. The plasma CSM aren't adding anything to the fight so fall back towards the chaos objective as it's not claimed, they roll through terrain ok and claim it.

In the shooting turn the oblits pop the executioner. The vinicator fires at a heavy weap squad on the top floor of the ruin by the guard objective but it scatters back and misses. The melta CSM which just bailed out the rhino fire meltas and pop the colossus. The other melta CSM fire at the empty chimera which held the melta vets and just score crew shaken again. The flamer terminators unleash heavy flamer and combi flamer burning all the veterans to ashes.

In assault my daemon prince in combat with the guard is slayed, though takes a few guard with him. The other daemon prince charges the chimera and scores weapon destroyed and immobilised.

In the guard turn the blob moves towards the flamer terminators. Melta vets in the now immobilised chimera bail out to shoot at the daemon prince, the PCS also bails out and moves to back them up.

In the shooting turn honour of cadia order is passed by creed onto the platoon blob. Some more orders are passed, mostly bring it down for against vehicles but only one lascannon squad passes and the PCS. The daemon prince which tackled the chimera is gunned down by plasma and melta by the melta vets and PCS. The vindicator is popped by lascannons firing at the weak side armour.

In assault the blob of guard charge the flamer terminators and kill 3 terminators in total, the terminators lost combat by pass morale.

*Tactical Notes

I'm glad the last executioner was taken down but in return I've now lost both Daemon Princes and the Vindicator; shame as the Vindicator had clear sight at the PCS and melta vets which nuked my Prince, and they wasn't in cover either! Also nice the Colossus was killed considering I had CSM in the open, however they was close to the melta vets which got burnt by the flamer Terminators and the blob of Guard.

My plan for next turn is for those melta CSM to start killing the two Heavy Weapons Squads camped up in the ruin on the Guard objective. Hopefully I can climb the ruin by assaulting, getting me closer, bolt pistols at the ready! The blob of Guard just cost me a Daemon Prince and butchered some of my Terminators, they need to be stopped so I'll be piling everything in the area straight into combat and hopefully maul them, this Greater Daemon had best appear!!

Turn 4

I call for reserves hoping the G.D will appear and luckily it goes, I let it explode the champion by the blob of guard :) . I move the melta terminators, obliterators and melta CSM who just lost their champion towards the guard blob. I move the melta CSM which wrecked the colossus towards the heavy weap teams.

Shooting I fire bolt pistols at the heavy weap squads killing two out of a unit, leaving just one behind. Nothing else shoots as about to assault!

Assault the CSM, G.D, terminators and obliterators pile into the guard blob. After the dust has settled I have lost the flamer terminators but I killed all those god-damn guardsmen! :D . I also lost 3 CSM in the process, but nothing to worry about. Melta CSM charge the heavy weaps team and kill them, they climb up the ruin towards the next heavy weap team and closer to the guard objective.

In the guard movement turn the melta vets and PCS go there seperate ways with the PCS near creeds tank and the melta vets aiming at my G.D's arse.

Shooting some orders are passed, bring it down again to hopefully kill my G.D but it doesn't receive a scratch after passing all it's saves. The heavy weap team on top of the ruin where the big fight was happening underneath fires at the plasma marines rhino on my objective but does nothing.

*Tactical Notes

So I smashed the guardsman blob; they was highly annoying. They cost me the remains of the flamer Terminators, which tbh, probably couldn't do a lot more besides charge the Heavy Weaps Team on top of the ruin where this fight was happening. The CSM heading towards the Heavy Weaps Team on the Guard objective did well, I'm certainly glad they made it into assault.

Plan in turn 5 is take out that Heavy Weaps Team on top of the ruin where the big fight was underneath (you cannot see the building as we moved it and all those Guard by the mass of Iron Warriors are all dead ;)). I'll move the other CSM unit up towards the last Heavy Weap Team on the Guard objective, I'll no doubt kill them if I make it and claim the objective scornig me a win. After that it's just a case of mopping up but there's nothing left to threaten me besides the PCS, though all my units are in terrain so will get cover from their nasty plasma guns!

Turn 5

I move the CSM by the G.D through terrain towards the meltas vets which tried to put some wounds on my G.D. I move the G.D to tackle the last mobile chimera. The terminators move through terrain and ready boltguns at the PCS out in the open. The obliterators ready flamers for the heavy weaps above them and the other unit of CSM still have their bolt pistols out ready to fire and charge at the heavy weaps team on the guard objective.

Shooting the terminators kill all the PCS with a total of 7 wounds, only 3 of them left before so they're proper dead. The obliterators fire twin-linked flamers but only kill one heavy weap team, which pass morale btw. CSM unit fires at the melta vets and kill a few. The CSM climbinng up the ruin kill all but one heavy weap team.

In assault the G.D tackles the chimera though I cannot remember exactly what happens. The CSM charge the melta vets and kill them all, they consolidate towards creed and the guard objective. The other CSM charge the last heavy weap team and kill them, wiping out the unit and claiming the guard objective as they're within 3" of it.

Guard player calls it a game as cannot claim my objective and has one unit of troops left which is surrounded by chaos forces along with creed and a chimera.

Iron Warriors win claiming both objectives!!

Summary

Well I can say that everything went to plan! I've found with Guard they have a pretty much damn full list of stuff which can threaten your army, but you just need to target prioritise with them. See the Executioners could threaten a whole range of stuff, in fact my entire infantry, so take them out and the Guard have little anti infantry power which has the AP against my Terminators and Obliterators at least. Then the Colossus has to go because it's S6 AP3 no cover saves can really ruin your day, again my infantry is safe. The Heavy Weaps teams were annoying and had the range to tackle my Rhinos but once they got assaulted it was good night for them. The meltas aren't a problem as such, sure I'll lose my tank but my mate always moves 12" with the Chimera and bails them out putting them at risk so next turn I'll just shoot/charge/burn and they'll die. The PCS plasma unit wasn't used much, I went for there tank hoping to pop it and get some shooting down on them next turn but it appears I didn't need to worry about them.

Deployment wise I'm glad I kept the Obliterators in reserve. Everything come on early, but when they deep strike I get a lot more use out of them besides acting as a lascannon platform, which is costly. I do think however I was too eager to pop smoke and should have realised that all the guard stuff cannot mostly fire and night fight rules are in affect, popping smoke turn 2 would have been better for me, ah well, live and learn!

List wise I think it's bang on. I'm going to drop the heavy flamer on the melta Terminators, reason is the codex says combi weapons so I played it as picking my combi weapon before the game and informing my opponent. But seems I've got plenty of combi meltas and combi plasmas do not exist I'm taking 3 combi meltas, reason is the heavy flamer is useless against tanks! All other units are fine though.

Unit of the match goes to the CSM which popped the Colossus and then wiped out two units of Heavy Weapons Teams before claiming the objective.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Hey mate,

Really nice report, well written and nice pictures, definately have some rep.
I enjoyed reading the tactical notes, thought that was a nice touch!

One thing I would point out was "The last executioner fires at the other oblits in terrain and scores a wound on each. " because your Obliterators are identical you cannot split wounds across each, that should have been one dead Obliterator.

Still, nicely done on beating the Guard!

·
Registered
466 Posts
I think that's my mistake mate. Perhaps the executioner fired wounded one and then PCS plasma wounded the other. Or maybe I made a mistake..:S . Anyway, thanks :)
if they are in the same squad you have to remove 1 for every 2wounds you take

great Battle Rep mate i enjoyed it, the most funny thing is his platoon did more damage in CC then the rest of his army shooting...go melee guard ! ! !

1 - 6 of 6 Posts