Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went round my mates yesterday and had a 1,500 point game. He's beaten me twice in a row in our last games, one time with his Tyranids which I underestimated the Hormgaunts and then again with his Tyranids the time before that. Can I score a upset and get my winning streak back on track?

Iron Warriors - 1,500 points

HQ

Daemon Prince - wings, MoN & warptime

Daemon Prince - wings, MoN & warptime

Greater Daemon

Troops

10 x CSM w/ Rhino - 2 x meltaguns, IOCG + champion - Rhino w/ havoc launcher

10 x CSM w/ Rhino - 2 x meltaguns, IOCG + champion - Rhino w/ havoc launcher

10 x CSM w/ Rhino - 2 x plasma guns, IOCG + champion - Rhino w/ havoc launcher

Heavy Support

2 x Obliterators

2 x Obliterators

Total: 1495

Imperial Guard - 1,500 points

HQ

Company Command Squad w/ Chimera - 4 x plasma guns & boltgun

Company Command Squad w/ Chimera - 4 x plasma guns

Troops

Veterans w/ Chimera - 3 x meltaguns

Veterans w/ Chimera - 3 x flamers

Fast Attack

1 x Hellhound

1 x Hellhound

Heavy Support

1 x Leman Russ Battle Tank

1 x Leman Russ Battle Tank

Game: Spearhead & anniliation

Deployment

I lost the roll off and the Guard played decided to go second. I deployed the three Rhinos using terrain to possibly block line of sight to at least two of them and hopefully a third depending on deployment. Both Princes then hid behind each melta Rhino while the Obliterators stay in reserve.

Guard deployed the other side of the big centre ruin using it as cover while the Russes both deployed on the halfway mark which can move to intercept one of my Rhinos which ever way I move.

* Tactical Notes

The plan here is to disable the Veterans with the meltas, without serious anti tank is lost and only the Russes remain which can pick off my transports as range. Command Squads can plasma my Daemon Princes and Obliterators quite easily. So with the Obliterators in reserve I'll deepstrike them by the Russes seems my short range meltas won't get close; hopefully I'll get close enough to use meltaguns for twin-linked action just in case ;) . My melta squads I'll use with the Princes as a double team, I'll use melta to pop the CCS Chimeras and send the Princes on them or gun them down with havoc launchers etc. The melta Veterans hopefully I can start taking out with my own melta and hopefully kill some in tank explosions.

Turn 1

Some movement from the Iron Warriors sees a Rhino along with a Daemon Prince move flat against the centre ruin wall, hopefully to avoid LOS partly from a Russ. Other Rhino moves out and pops smoke while the plasma Rhino gets stuck in terrain.

No shooting from me.

Guards turn and all Chimeras move out, two of them get stuck in terrain on the centre ruin.

Shooting a single Russ fires at my Daemon Prince supporting the melta Rhino against the centre terrain wall. It luckily scatters and misses.

* Tactical Notes

The Guard had moved one Chimera within 12" of my Rhino which carries melta, a mistake for Guard because they firstly didn't pop smoke and now are in my melta range. However if Guard would have got out they could have popped my tank and followed the assault up with supressing fire from a Leman Russ, though the melta Veterans would have died from my plasma squad next turn.

Anyway, plan is to upload the plasma CSM and move them through terrain and aim at the weak side of that Chimera in range, if my meltas don't pop it I have a chance with plasma and if the meltas do pop it plasma can torrent the Guard down to dust. I'll move the other melta Rhino through terrain by the two CCS in the centre ruin but I won't send in the Daemon Princes just yet because there's two threats in there and I can only possibly kill one and maybe wreck the other Chimera, at least there will be a CCS left to plasma one Prince to death, instead I'll hang a Prince back in defensive position ready while the other Prince I'll send forward and pick off a Hellhound. Hopefully the Obliterators will come down and I can nuke a Russ.

Turn 2

Obliterators arrive from reserve, they scatter but still land in front of the Leman Russes and within meltagun range. Both D.P's cast warptime however one fails and takes a wound from perils of the warp.

The plasma CSM bail out the Rhino and move 5" through terrain targeting the weak side armour of the Chimera in range. The melta CSM supporting the plasma CSM flanks forward putting itself in melta range against that Chimera. The other melta CSM move through into the centre terrain piece by a CCS Chimera. One Prince hangs back hiding behind terrain while the other Princes flies forward to tackle a lone Hellhound.

Shooting the Obliterators fire twin-linked meltaguns and explode a Leman Russ; one Obliterator takes a wound from the explosion. The CSM flanking the Chimera unleash melta and the Chimera explodes killing a few Guardsmen, the plasma CSM lay down supressing fire on the Guardsman leaving a single survivor which passes morale. The other melta squad pops a CCS Chimera killing a few in the blast, all Rhinos fire bolters and havoc launchers wiping out the CCS.

In assault the Daemon Prince charges the Hellhound and it explodes.

That's a whooping great 5 kill points in a single turn after everything explodes thanks to melta or monstrous creature assault :D

Guard move a few units around but keep the remaining Hellhound and flamer Veterans out of range of anything. A single unit of melta Veterans bail out one of the immobilised Chimeras and targets the Prince which wrecked the Hellhound.

In the shooting phase the surviving CCS issues orders on the melta Veterans, Bring it Down! as they target the Daemon Prince. The Prince is wiped out by plasma and lasgun death. The solo melta Veteran which got gunned down by plasma takes revenge and pops the Rhino which the CSM were in. The last CSM unit torrents plasma at the Obliterators taking them out.

Points total are 5:3 to the Iron Warriors.

* Tactical Notes

Well that went to plan very very well! I'm sort of upset but not surprised I lost a Prince as mass melta can ruin it's day however I was hoping it would still have a wound left. Shame those Obliterators have gone but never mind, I've got more!

Plan now is to finish that single melta Veteran off which wrecked my Rhino. I'll do this with the plasma squad, over kill? Yes but I can use the melta CSM to move through terrain and pop some armour. With a CCS down I'll use the other melta CSM in the Rhino to wreck the Chimera and then send in my other Daemon Prince or hopefully the Greater Daemon will appear and cause havoc, with them gone my Princes and Obliterators haven't got a lot to fear.

Turn 3

I roll for reserves which the Greater Daemon comes in but the Obliterators don't. The Greater Daemon appears from the melta CSM still in their Rhino in the centre ruin.

The melta Rhino moves through terrain ok in the centre and comes up by the last CCS Chimera. The melta CSM on foot move through terrain, they're out of reach of the Hellhound which I was hoping to get but a immobilised Chimera is easy target. The plasma CSM move through terrain and prime bolters ready at the single melta Veteran standing in the crater of his wrecked Chimera. The last Prince floats around and moves back to where it was last turn.

Shooting the melta Rhino pops the CCS Chimera and then the Rhino itself follows up with havoc launcher and bolter fire with support from the immobilised Rhino on the CCS, only the Commander remains with a single wound. The plasma CSM fire and kill the single melta Veteran. The CSM meltas on foot look out of range of the Hellhound so target a immobilised Chimera and pop it.

In assault the Greater Daemon fails to make the terrain move to reach the Commander.

In the Guard turn the remaining melta Veteran unit inside a Chimera bails out and flanks forward along with the other melta unit on foot. The Hellhound moves back 6" while the flamer Veteran unit just floats around doing nothing.

In the shooting turn the Leman Russ fire at the Greater Daemon but it scatters and misses. Both melta Veterans units have better luck and open fire killing the Greater Daemon. All remaining tanks and the Hellhound fire at the CSM melta unit on foot and manage to kill a single traitor Space Marine.

Points are now 8: 4

* Tactical Notes

Well everything is going to plan with both Command Squads out the picture. The Greater Daemon has snuffed it which is a shame as it didn't do anything :(

My plan now is to pop that other immobilised Chimera, hopefully it will explode with a recent range and take out some of those melta Veterans close by; there's two right by it. I'm hoping my Obliterators will come in and then use them with twin-linked flamers to poilsh off those Veterans with support from the Daemon Prince

Turn 4

The Obliterators arrive from reserve but scatter away from the Veterans so looks like my target has changed to the Leman Russ.

The melta CSM Rhino moves through terrain and comes out the other side by the immobilised Chimera and blocking shots from the CSM on foot. The Daemon Prince fails psychic test but doesn't take a wound luckily, it moves towards the melta Veterans hiding behind the centre ruin but won't be able to assault this turn.

In the shooting turn the melta CSM on foot and the plasma Space Marines fire at the Hellhound but neither do any damage or hit. The melta CSM in the Rhino pop the Chimera, it explodes as planned but only 1" and fails to kill any melta Veterans in the blast. The immobilised Rhino fires havoc and bolter at the Commander and polishes him off. The Obliterators fire multi meltas but only immobilise the Leman Russ.

In the Guard turn both melta Veteran units move out towards the Obliterators, and the Hellhound moves a little bit.

In the shooting turn the melta Veterans nuke the Obliterators with instant death thanks to meltaguns. Hellhound and the flamer Veteran Chimera fires at the melta CSM on foot and leaves just three standing, they pass morale ok. The Russ fires at the rear armour of the last operational Rhino and immobilises it.

Score is now 11:4

* Tactical Notes

Looks like my Iron Warriors are reaping a tally now. Shame the Obliterators didn't deep strike on target and also they got killed as I could have used them.

The Hellhound can be really annoying with its range and high strength, there's only so many 3+ saves you can roll. I'm going to take it out and luckily for me it's not far away as the Guard player didn't move it 12" away from me and then fire, so I can hopefully foot slog and get into melta range. Last thing to do now is just mop up as melta Veterans don't threaten my armour as it's all defunct and the Daemon Prince will hopefully take them out in assault anyway.

Turn 5

The melta CSM in the Rhino bail out and move through terrain towards the flamer Veterans Chimera, which hasn't moved away from them. The other melta CSM on foot move towards the Hellhound while the Daemon Prince flies towards the melta Veterans, it lands in terrain but passes terrain test ok.

In the shooting phase the melta CSM fire at the Hellhound but miss! The other melta unit has more luck and pops the Chimera and kills 4 flamer Veterans in the blast. The plasma squad attempts to take long range shots at the other melta Veterans in view but just out of range, the Rhino which the melta CSM just bailed out fires bolter and havoc the bolter kills one but the havoc scatters and misses.

In assault both melta CSM units charge the Hellhound and flamer Veterans, the flamer Veterans are slaughtered from 31 attacks and the Hellhound is wrecked from krak grenades. The Daemon Prince charges a unit of melta Veterans in cover, they strike first but no wounds then the D.P strikes killing half the unit and then chops them down in sweeping advance.

Guard concede as only got 2 units left. Iron Warriors win with 15 kill points!

Summary

Well that was a really aggressive game in the Iron Warriors favour. Goes to show that you just need a plan and some good luck and stick to it, when I scored 5 kill points in that second turn I think that put me ahead and the nail perhaps half way in the coffin. I think my opponent made a few mistakes, one was when the first melta Veteran tank rolled right into my melta range and didn't even pop smoke. Next mistakes was just getting those flamer Veterans into the fight and then getting them out when the melta came into range, same applies with the Hellhound when my melta CSM just walked right over to it.

My army wise havoc launchers did pretty well nailing Guard and claiming more kills. I think the Princes however I'm going to change to MoT. The Princes always end up getting shot by high strength weapons like melta and plasma, plasma needs a 3+ to wound but still scores wounds easily. If I had that bit better invulnerable save I might have survived a bit better, I'm going to give it a try.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Woohoo! Congrats on getting your well earned victory!:victory: (though it depresses my to see guard slaughtered like that:( )

And I must say that's an impressive kill count for a 1500pt game

·
Registered
941 Posts
I feal for you, because my CSMs have also been painfully crushed by nids! GREAT GAME! I love the wings on your DPs, they look like bat wings! Awsome!:biggrin:

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Woohoo! Congrats on getting your well earned victory!:victory: (though it depresses my to see guard slaughtered like that:( )

And I must say that's an impressive kill count for a 1500pt game

I feal for you, because my CSMs have also been painfully crushed by nids! GREAT GAME! I love the wings on your DPs, they look like bat wings! Awsome!:biggrin:
Luckily my Iron Warriors remain undefeated! :D My loss was with my own Imperial Guard due to lack of long range fire power and the gay battle missions book and the other was I underestimated Hormagaunts with toxin sacs and my Orks paid for it :(

Thanks, the wings are elf dragon wings. I mounted them there because on the sides they stick out too far and on the actual back stick out too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts