Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently new to this hobby by just over a month today in fact and I have a friendly match with the next-door neighbor and thanks to a member on this site I will have around 3500 points of CSM that I will paint up to be IW But never playing a match before what should I do bearing in mind I will only have a LR tank wise no rhinos etc. Any tactics that existing IW players use? Any help much appreciated, Honsu

·
Registered
616 Posts
depends on what you have to use, and the size of the game you're going to play.

I would highly recommend picking up some rhinos, along with all the nasty stuff CSM have (DPs,Obliterators, Khorne berzekers etc). Are you going for any theme in paticular, or will they just be painted as IW?

if you could answer these questions we should be able to help you more.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking of Running them similar to the army in Storm Of Iron And the points are 3000 but ultimately I want to make a balanced army that is not 100% fluff accurate apart form NO possessed as I have heard they are S***E to say the least and no summoned daemons as the IW don't trust them. I have a few Ob's on the way from
Gifsforgeeks.org.uk and a couple of rhinos, I also have 1 squad of 'Zerkers x2 of tactical marines (1 squad of plague marines and 1 squad of emperor's children on loan from a friend a chaos lord in termie armour) 1 squad of termies the aforementioned LR If it helps she will be playing Eldar, she has lots of tanks and the flaming guy with a massive sword I think he is an avatar or something. Some harlequins(funny-looking ones with the funky clothes.) A walker robot thing and lots of those hooded things I think they are rangers and some other troops that took nasty with big scythes on the end of their guns. Got to love the cousins who tell you what your opponent has in their army (thins is an approximate guess not too sure as to how many of each troop choice she has!) Thanks for the help jasonfly!

·
Registered
616 Posts
no problem. Looks like you have a lot of stuff to play around with (btw loving the name and the theme for the army) and you should be able to make competitive lists with this.

to narrow it down a bit more:

What style of army are you going for? CC, gunline, hybrid, mech, footslogging or a bit of all of these?

Are you planning to start out with lower point games? I would recommend this as it would help you get a feel for each of the units as well as their strengths and weaknesses. Tactica articles help with this but IMO, its best to try it out firsthand and see what works for you.

You are right, possesed should be ignored completely if you want a good army. The plague marines you have are great for holding objectives and are a real pain to move (i know from experience). The zerkers are a very solid CC choice and are scoring to boot! keep in mind however that they die to shooting as easily as normal marines. I would try and get these guys in CC as soon as you can and give the sergeant a powerfist to stop your unit from getting tarpitted by walkers. I dont have much experience with CSM termies, but they should do well in the land raider and with the lord.

Eldar are quite annoying because they dart around the board quickly and use their high initiative to hit you before you can hit back. To fight them on your terms i would recommend a DP or sorcerer with lash of submission so you can mess with their battle plan ( im not sure, but can chaos sorcerers neutralise psychic power like C:SM librarians?). Crack open their vehicles, fight CC on your terms and remember that they might be hard to catch, but once you do, they die swiftly.

Hope this helps and good luck to you and your Iron warriors

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Ok the scyte guy is going to hurt most of your marines. About a 4th of her weapons will to right off the bat. Dont cluster up. She will drop a ton of hurt on you. I agree with jasonfly. I think your first few games should be combat patrol. Its basically no fluff small battles that give you a chance to see what units do before the big flaming sword guy with his little friends wipes you from the battlefield. Its 400 points to start and then build from there.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK thanks for the advice I have just seen the next door neighbor and asked if we can use a 1000 point list so I can get to grips with things and she agreed.

What style of army are you going for? CC, gunline, hybrid, mech, footslogging or a bit of all of these? sorry jasonfly but being a noob of 40k I'm not sure that these are can you enlighten me thanks once again Honsu.

·
Registered
616 Posts
no problem

do you want an in your face close combat army? A sit back and shoot it till it dies army? Hybrid is a bit of both, and mech means that most/all of your units are in tranports. Footslogging is what it says on the tin, an army mostly/completely without transports (very static army, good for gunline, bad for a close combat army).

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would have to say Hybrid as it follows the plot line of Storm Of Iron for the most part, with the siege equipment pounding the spaceport and Tor Christo etc. then taking out imperial titans with Honsou/Forrix's companies by literally raping them from inside out.

Once again many thanks for helping out the noob and having to explain simple terminology.
Honsu

·
Registered
616 Posts
no problem, glad i could help.

Iron within! Iron without!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
no problem, glad i could help.

Iron within! Iron without!
Indeed may the Warsmith reward you with untold riches(power) once he ascends to daemonhood and leave you as successor.:victory: -Honsu

PS: the showdown is in 2 hours so will let you know how it went (assuming that you would like to.)

·
Registered
616 Posts
Cool, tell us how it goes. Show those puny eldar who's boss :victory:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well the Zerker's and the PM's held their own for the entire game the luck of the Dice God's were upon my with my saves. So that that had to play a part in my winning, the Oblits annihilated most of the infantry and in turn 12 I concentrated all my firepower of the Avatar thing and true to form the Dice Gods came into my favor once again as the sheer mass of firepower crippled the avatar and when the Avatar fell he crushed his own heavy support choice. So all in all Chaos ruled supreme once again. (I have to be modest and say that this victory must be due to the help from you jasonfly and thanks once again.) -Honsu

·
Registered
616 Posts
Glad i could help you acheive victory, may there be many more in your future.

Sounds like it was a good game

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It was At one point it looked like the avatar might have sat on my Zerkers and flipped the rod at Khorne, but the god of blood just wouldn't let that happen. -Honsu

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
When you say the Avatar fell and crushed his own HS choice, do you mean you used the Falling Giant rules (adapted, of course) from Fantasy? Brilliant idea, and if that's not what you meant thatnks for the inspiration anyway. I might have to start doing that with all MCs... FALLING FEXES!

Midnight

1 - 15 of 15 Posts