Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You have an Iron Priest and 4 Cyberwolves in hand to hand combat with an enemy squad... Can the enemy squad bypass the Cyberwolves in hand to hand and hit the Iron Priest?

What if the Iron Priest is with Thrall Servitors? Can they be ignored as well because they are considered wargear? Or do all the models make a unit composition?

Thanks guys, just clearing the air.

James Knouse

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
The cyberwolves can be ignored by any attackers, but you must be in base contact with the IP in order to attack him- this is spelled out in the FAQ (cyberwolves will follow the same rules as fenrisian wolves).
Im not so sure about the thralls but I think you form a retinue with them and so you cant be targetted with them around you.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you direct me to the FAQ that explains this?

What do you mean base to base in order to attack? like if there is a cyberwolf between the enemy and the Iron Priest the enemy model can't attack the Iron Priest? Also, can the Cyber wolves charge with out the Iron Priest?

I am trying to make sense of all this before it becomes an issue while playing.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just looked it up in the SW FAQ. I see where it talks about the wolves being ignored in hand to hand. However I am also wondering about the actual wording. The rules state an Independent Character. ICs have that listed next to thier entry (ie.wolf lords, battle leaders, Wolf Priests, etc.) An Iron Priest is not an IC because it is not listed under his special rules. Also the Thrall Servitors are listed under War gear in the list attributed to him.

I see the argument that the servitors are war gear and can be bypassed in hand to hand just like the wolves... on the other hand is see the argument that if the servitors cannot be bypassed in HtH combat that the wolves cant be either due to the fact servitors cant be ignored... they are listed together as a unit composition under the IP listing. The Iron Priest is also not listed as an IC.

Some please tell me I am thinking to much here lol

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
Hmm, I had forgotten that the IP wasnt an IC... so I dont see any way you can really stop it from being just a standard mixed unit- any and all the rules for bypassing combat allocation is based on ICs so trying to apply them to an Iron Priest just wouldnt work (eg being able ot allocate attacks onto teh Iron Priest when in base contact with the wolves- a bastardisation of the SW FAQ and IC rules thats absurd).
Sorry about my privious post... I dont think any of its right whatsoever (I got rid of my SW at the strat of this codex so hadent realised IPs had been downgraded).

·
Registered
210 Posts
The IP is not an IC so when he buys toys to get rid of his loneliness it functions as a Retinue. Think of him as a Vet Sarge or Pack Leader - he won't take any damage unless it is allocated to him. By the owning player. Which won't/shouldn't happen unless the unit takes enough wounds for everybody in the unit to take a save i.e. a Priest and 4 Cyberwolves suffer 5 wounds. The wolves take 1 each and so does the Priest.

Hope that clears it up.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
stormbrow II,

That is the way I see it too. I read the wording of the FAQ stating Independent Character. The Iron Priest isnt an IC sohe forms a retinue. I like the way the Iron Priest gets ride of his loneliness! But if I said prove what you just stated how would you? You have a section in the main rule book I could go to? You know how we gamers love to argue this out when we are playing. I am looking to avoid that!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Let the dead dog lie!

Real fast one... An Iron Priest cannot join another squad but can be joined by another IC correct? Say a Wolf Guard Battle Leader with two Ferasian Wolves join an Iron Priest and his 4 Cyberwolves...

I am building up a Mech Wolf army and am wanting to make sure my build before I "ruin" a hundred dollars in models. :)

Ill post pictures I promise!

Thanks for your help guys.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts