4x missiles
razor back lass plass

long fangs x5
4x missiles
razor back lass plass

long fangs x5
4x missiles
razor back lass plass

i actually wanted more thunder wolf cavalry but i don't have the models and i used dreadnought bases today, i only had three. we played a 5 objective game, pitched battle, space wolves vs vanilla marines. i won 2 to 1 with one objective contested. he used a librarian in terminator armour with 5 assault termies, t twin lightning 3 thunder hammer and storm shield in a redeemer a 10 man assault squad, 3 tactical squads, 1 5 man 2 10. the 10 with a flamer the other with a lass and plasma. a vanilla ven dread and devastators x10 with 4 missiles. then one group of regular termies that deployed via deep strike. dread had a drop pod. the 5 man squad had a heavy bolter razor back the other two tac had rhinos. the assault jumpers had a twin lightning claw guy.

in short i killed more with my wolf lord than i did with anything else. the librarian, both squads of termies, and the assault jumpers. other than that i wiffed with about half of my shooting, in turn 5 i finally managed to wreck the land raider and the dread was immobilized, lost his assault cannon and couldn't move or shoot for most of the game due to crew shaken results. i killed the devastators with an iron priest and if it wasn't for a well placed razor back it would have been a draw.

i think i should put in a second wolf lord, he was my mvp for sure. im not so sure about the iron priest unit anymore, not enough attacks. he can be tied up for a minimum of 3 turns by a 10 man squad of anything. i liked the fenrisian wolves, they helped keep the wolf lord alive. he ended the game with just one wound. the first time i used one he killed ragnar black mane and a wolf priest with a unit of grey hunters before dying against a lucky missile.

im thinking a double or triple wolf lord list with more melta and maybe dreadnoughts. get some more scary units in there.
any comments?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Dropping the 2 Iron Priests will get you 300 or so points. If you are going for the Wolfblob then you up the number of Fenris Wolves and place your HQ's with them so the Wolves take all the wounds and leave the characters to wreck things later in the game.

For those points you can get:

Wolf Lord on TWC
Hammer, Storm Shield, Wolf Tail Talisman, Saga of the Bear, Runic Armour
265 points

Yes he's expensive but he's a beast that will go toe-to-toe with the enemy's hardest unit and tarpit it, if not simply batter it into submission. With him you'll have 35 points to spend on Wolves. That'll get you 4 more for starters bringing them up to 9 strong. I'd try to shovel more in there and put another Wolf Tail Talisman on the Frost Blade Lord so that you have 2 attempts to stop psychic shenanigans on top of the Rune Priests stick.

Then you just point that unit at the enemy and watch it get shot. :)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dropping the 2 Iron Priests will get you 300 or so points. If you are going for the Wolfblob then you up the number of Fenris Wolves and place your HQ's with them so the Wolves take all the wounds and leave the characters to wreck things later in the game.

For those points you can get:

Wolf Lord on TWC
Hammer, Storm Shield, Wolf Tail Talisman, Saga of the Bear, Runic Armour
265 points

Yes he's expensive but he's a beast that will go toe-to-toe with the enemy's hardest unit and tarpit it, if not simply batter it into submission. With him you'll have 35 points to spend on Wolves. That'll get you 4 more for starters bringing them up to 9 strong. I'd try to shovel more in there and put another Wolf Tail Talisman on the Frost Blade Lord so that you have 2 attempts to stop psychic shenanigans on top of the Rune Priests stick.

Then you just point that unit at the enemy and watch it get shot. :)
i usually give my wolf lords a frost blade to take advantage of his int5. also i dont give them saga of the bear because they only have to worry about strength 10 for insta kill so i just dont throw him against a dreadnought or defiler and kill the vindicators or just stay out of range.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have another with a Wolf Claw to bag infantry and take advantage of I5. The Hammer guy is for bagging enemy HQ's and MC's that invariably have Force Weapons, S10, Instant Death weapons or just assloads of attacks so when he goes into batter something I don't want to be worried about dying because I failed a single save and Bear Saga gives me that guarantee. It also gives me the option of pounding on any overly aggressive Dreads (Ironclads in Pods) without worrying too much and leaving my Long Fangs free to blow other stuff away.

Vindicators I don't give a shit about - just hit them til their gun falls off and it's a useless tank-shocking brick. I don't bother shooting the front armour either - just let them advance to get in range with their gun and then flank the damn thing or pull up into its face and melta it. Having a heavy weapon or two that can move and fire and reserving it so that it pulls up into side armour is a godsend in that regard.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts