Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

161 - 180 of 378 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #161 (Edited)
Got the vengeance batteries done, magnetised in a way so stupid I'm kicking myself (I magnetised one wall for some reason, instead of just the gun.

And @SwedeMarine - one for you:

A strength USB weapon!

Nice pictures. Looking forward to what you're doing with the Leviathan. The battle also looks like a proper Apoc battle. :D
Hey Sigur! I've pretty much finished work on the Leviathan for now, pictures are buried in this thread somewhere. He'll be proxying a warhound titan if I get the chance to play my GK in an apocalypse game again... where his main job will be hunting other titans and superheavies and putting large holes in infantry formations (multiple targeting rules!) Apocalypse battles are madness. I really like them!

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #162

Looks way too rough up close, I wasn't paying enough attention thanks to uni lectures. The layers blend much more nicely to the eye, especially when regarded on a tabletop.

Basing will be done with the rest of this army... as soon as I muster the enthusiasm.

Next, though, a peacock imperial navy officer.

·
Registered
92 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #165
New scheme is looking awesome! Could possibly also go as traitor guard with your Chaos?
I've actually played two games with Chaos recently, which is more than at any time since leaving our place of education! Also, merci du compliment, all three companies are intended to be able to blend relatively well together, with an obvious separation that I intend to translate into three gaming tables. So far, I have one table done and one bought.

So lately:

Commissar is destined for the Urban/Light infantry company, one day to be given his own combined infantry squad to look after or to be promoted and fielded in a conscript squad for mass lasgun fire.

Techpriest and Tank Commander are going to my Armoured company, bringing the number of Techpriests to 2. That sprue that you can see behind them is a pair of servitors, so I'll have about 12 between the two and my coterie of inquisitors to dish out bulk firepower and repair boosts.

Officer of the fleet, first of two, is going into my Airmobile company, though he may migrate to the light company for when I have eventually made it big and bought a marauder sqn - or if I'm just sharing my airsupport assets out. Pretty happy with these guys.

Still underway are a double handful of heavy weapons, with more yet to come... then a scout sentinel and some tanks (and those servitors). Should see me through September without having to buy any more models, right? Right?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I've actually played two games with Chaos recently, which is more than at any time since leaving our place of education!
Remembering why you love chaos so much??

Should see me through September without having to buy any more models, right? Right?
You are SO funny!

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #167
Remembering why you love chaos so much??
Yes, the temptation to return and do a word bearers cult army is strong... but not overpowering, luckily.

Right. Still haven't bought any models since the last post... but I did get these guys done. Concentrating on building up towards apocalypse formations (10 squads and a ccs) before I go for extra details like the second gunner.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Still haven't bought any models since the last post...
Well done - I have failed in the same pursuit and am about to pick up some second hand stuff. Will be using them as an allied Bde until I can repaint them into the Coronan's own!

Concentrating on building up towards apocalypse formations (10 squads and a ccs) before I go for extra details like the second gunner.
Where are you up to with all the formations? You have quite a few HWTs already?

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #169
Well done - I have failed in the same pursuit and am about to pick up some second hand stuff. Will be using them as an allied Bde until I can repaint them into the Coronan's own!
Oh crap, I forgot! I bought a second hand thunderbolt fighter and a deathstrike missile launcher, and also put a down payment on a Hammer of Cadia box at my FLGS.

Where are you up to with all the formations? You have quite a few HWTs already?
Hmmm once I'm done painting, I'll have two full Imperial Sword formations. One will be Lascannons/Autocannons, one will be mortars, heavy bolters and missile launchers. At the moment, I'm about 2/3 of the way through the Lascannon/Autocannon one with a smattering of anti-personnel, now that I've based these:

Also, I painted two more servitors, my wyvern, another leman russ (pictured as LRBT) two LR Demolishers, and a sentinel (not pictured finished) and a deathstrike missile (not pictured). Most of these have gone straight to the gaming box, so I haven't had a chance to get final pictures, buuuut:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Oh crap, I forgot! I bought a second hand thunderbolt fighter and a deathstrike missile launcher, and also put a down payment on a Hammer of Cadia box at my FLGS.
I saw one of the Hammer of Cadia boxes in a store this week and whilst I DO NOT need more... it was very tempting - so much awesomeness in one box. Alas, I "settled" for some plasticard and terrain conversion bits.

Hmmm once I'm done painting, I'll have two full Imperial Sword formations.
Jube question from someone who hasn't had a real game since 2010: Where does one find the dataslates/formation guides? I have seen the Sanctus Reach IG/AM slates but was wondering if there are more? and where to find them?

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #171
Jube question from someone who hasn't had a real game since 2010: Where does one find the dataslates/formation guides? I have seen the Sanctus Reach IG/AM slates but was wondering if there are more? and where to find them?
Well, either you are looking for apocalypse formations from the apocalypse main rule book, apocalypse war zone books, White Dwarf Magazines (I think these are almost all outdated) In normal 40k dataslates from the itunes bookstore or android equivalent or the Sanctus Reach extension and white dwarf articles.

I think that's it for sources?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Well, either you are looking for apocalypse formations from the apocalypse main rule book, apocalypse war zone books, White Dwarf Magazines (I think these are almost all outdated) In normal 40k dataslates from the itunes bookstore or android equivalent or the Sanctus Reach extension and white dwarf articles.

I think that's it for sources?
Ahhhh! I have now got my copy of Apoc Rules and I see... I see... makes a little more sense to me all now. Jude-ness strikes again!

The only downside to reading the Apoc rules - I now want to use said awesome rules on the horrendous scale they were designed for! Who is up for a 15-20k pt a-side game? I think that should be achievable with my IG and SM combined force...

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'm in. now... logistics...
So you are going to put up the opposing 15-20k force? I think I have that much imperial to do so... with Marines and AM. In saying that I think I shall slowly sell my Marines - not giving them the love they need plus I have the High Elves and Brets to sort out...

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #175
So you are going to put up the opposing 15-20k force? I think I have that much imperial to do so... with Marines and AM. In saying that I think I shall slowly sell my Marines - not giving them the love they need plus I have the High Elves and Brets to sort out...
So many armies... so many projects.

My latest progress:
Got my flame tank squadron completed!

And 2/3 Scout sentinels done, now I need another multilaser one next time I have a spare 50.

Moving on next to a baneblade and another squadron of leman russ battle tanks, which ought to keep me occupied for a while.

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #176
Well, don't have a Leman Russ Battle tank photo yet but:

Also, I've finally got to basing my Airborne Plasma Commando force:
Bases:

Based miniatures:

I still have one more flyer base to do, and I'm strongly considering adding ten more rifleman scions to boost each squad to ten... Maybe I will even add a third squad with some meltas, to break the plasma monotony and give some actual anti-tank to the list.

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #178
Could you post some close ups on those infantry squads?
I have some up earlier in this thread, but I'm a glutton for validation so here are some more:

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
That is an awesome looking army - Keep up the good work!

If I had one suggestion it would be to highlight the skin more. Compared to the army and the impressive amount of details in the cloth, metal and general plating, the skin falls quite flat currently. Be it brown, white or yellow the skin needs more pop to not fall short of the rest of the models.

The Ogryns in particular is a good example due to the larger surfaces of skin, where it seems like it's only a base and shade that is used. The cargo effects on the pants are damn good, but it makes the skin appear unfinished in comparison.

I really like the color contrast you got going in the models though (that blue is close to the eyes on my own models, which I have a weakness for), so do keep it up :good:

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #180
If I had one suggestion it would be to highlight the skin more. Compared to the army and the impressive amount of details in the cloth, metal and general plating, the skin falls quite flat currently. Be it brown, white or yellow the skin needs more pop to not fall short of the rest of the models.

The Ogryns in particular is a good example due to the larger surfaces of skin, where it seems like it's only a base and shade that is used. The cargo effects on the pants are damn good, but it makes the skin appear unfinished in comparison.
Yes, it's a fair point. I had made the conscious decision not to do much more than the three to four paints over my run of the mill infantry due to the size of army that I'm constructing, but I agree that the Bullgryns will need more. Since I've got another two (or five if I get carried away) and a Nork Deddog on the plan, I think I'll revisit and layer up the skin in the next month or two.

I had a game with the army you can see above. The tank killed itself turn 2 and though the rest of the army performed valiantly and scored buckets of maelstrom points, the infantry were killed to a man and left only the Vulture gunship to save my bacon from a complete tabling... predicable against orks with these guys!

161 - 180 of 378 Posts