Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

61 - 80 of 378 Posts

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
It took me quite a while to figure out what part you messed up, it's barely noticeable to me. The mini is coming along very well, I'm looking forward to seeing it finished, must resist the urge to buy one!

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
It took me quite a while to figure out what part you messed up, it's barely noticeable to me. The mini is coming along very well, I'm looking forward to seeing it finished, must resist the urge to buy one!
I hope I can sway you to buy one (Wayland Games sell them at reasonable, non-US postage) once I eventually receive the left arm and paint the thing to satisfaction!

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
I hope I can sway you to buy one (Wayland Games sell them at reasonable, non-US postage) once I eventually receive the left arm and paint the thing to satisfaction!
Haha I've got more than enough to do as it is without adding fecking titans sadly.

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Ok. I've been busy with study, but at the end of last month I gathered in hand all the base-coated IG that I had leftover from my second last house move and painted them in one great big hit. Platoon Command Squad and three infantry squads done, completing my Imperial shield apocalypse formation AND coincidentally, most of the light infantry (who aren't heavy weapons) for the Urban defence company of my Battle Force. I also completed 5 more heavy weapons teams, bringing me to... oh no. Only 12/30 required for an Imperial Sword formation. Looks like I've still got some work to do there!

(sorry about this photo, I actually won't have space to lay everything out until I've finished this current house move and exams.)

I also had a 750 point carnage game with 4 players that I will, late this month, write a batrep for.

So. Tawa inspired me to do an outstanding items to do list and here it is:
Urban Defence Company
Heavy weapon Squad - Unassembled, Unpainted
Heavy weapon Squad - - Unassembled, basecoated
Heavy weapon team - Unassembled, basecoated
Platoon command squad - Unassembled, Unpainted

HAZCHEM Air-Mobile Company
HAZCHEM Plasma Vet Squad - Unassembled, Unpainted
HAZCHEM Company Command Squad - Unassembled, Unpainted
Valkyrie - Unassembled, Unpainted

Mechanised Company
- Carnosaur Rough Rider squad - Unassembled, Unpainted

Armoured company
Leman Russ Battle Tank - Unassembled, Unpainted
Scout Sentinel - Unassembled, Unpainted

Standby models for new codex rule changes
5 x Vox casters - Unassembled, base coated
20x riflemen - - Unassembled, base coated
4 snipers - Unassembled, base coated
1 flamer, 1 grenadier - Unassembled, basecoated

Orks
Ork Stompa - Unassembled, Unpainted
Ork Dakkajet (converted)
Various orks - basecoated

Tyrannids
3x Warriors - Unassembled, Unpainted

Grey Knights
3 x Paladins - Unassembled, Unpainted
Apothecary - Unassembled, Unpainted
Grand Master - Being painted
Warhound titan/Dreamforge Leviathan Crusader - Unpainted, awaiting parts
Hector Rex - Unassembled, Unpainted
3 x Purgation squad members - Various stages, awaiting complete squad
2 x Razorbacks - Unassembled, Unpainted, awaiting parts

Space Marines
Sergeant - Unassembled, Unpainted
Command Squad - Unassembled, Unpainted
Tac Squad - Unassembled, Unpainted
Black Templars Tac Squad - Unassembled, Unpainted

Daemons
10x Bloodletters - awaiting repair
10x Bloodletters - Unassembled, Unpainted
Khorne Herald - Unassembled, Unpainted
Khorne Daemon Prince - Unassembled, Unpainted
Khorne Greater Daemon - Unassembled, Unpainted

CSM
48x Cultists - Unassembled, Base coated
3x Obliterators - Unassembled, Base coated
20x Chaos Space Marines - Unassembled, Unpainted
6x Havoks - Unassembled, Base Coated
5x Chaos Terminators - Unassembled, various levels of painting done
5x Fallen Dark Angels
Chaos Land Raider
Chaos Defiler
Chaos Drop Pod... you heard me. - Unassembled, Unpainted

High Elves
3x Ellyrian Riders, basecoated
10x Sword Masters - Part painted
Lion Chariot
5x Dragon Princes - Unassembled, Unpainted
Dragon - Unassembled, Unpainted
Many Spear Elves, various stages
Many Archers, various Stages
Wizard - basecoated

Infinity
Aleph Steel Legion Box - Unassembled, Unpainted
Myrmidon with spitfire - Unassembled, Unpainted
Deva with spitfire - Unassembled, Unpainted
Marut TAG - Unassembled, Unpainted

Terrain
Many, many forest plates to be completed.
Crashed Thunderhawk - basecoated
Realm of battle installation - basecoated
Skyshield landing pad - basecoated
Various wall of martyrs - basecoated
Aquila strongpoint - Unassembled, Unpainted
Imperial sanctuary - Unassembled, Unpainted
Random other terrain plans - Unassembled, Unpainted

I feel a lot guiltier looking at that list. I also have the Space Marines Storm Wing incoming...

Endstate army lists I'll put up later on. Hope you enjoyed this wall of text!

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
OK. Got a lot done on the Grandmaster... I'm not really happy with his right shoulder pad design... meant to match his pauldron shield and banner. Also not happy with his force weapon blade, but I've only been attempting these on two squads so far (lack of confidence has held me back until now) and I think I'll improve on these with time... I'll be going back over the army and turning all the metallic blades into this blue force weapon style soon.

As I get more and more of these guys done I want more and more to put their gaming table together. Buuuuut as you can see from the backlog post, I'm so far behind construction jobs that I don't think I can start in any sort of clear conscience... sigh.

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
Looks good to me mate, the freehand on the banner and tabard especially, I envy your skill there. The Force Weapon effect also looks top notch, I take it you have done by hand rather than a AB? In which is case it makes it even better. My only suggestion would be too try to give the gold a bit more depth.

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Looks good to me mate, the freehand on the banner and tabard especially, I envy your skill there. The Force Weapon effect also looks top notch, I take it you have done by hand rather than a AB? In which is case it makes it even better. My only suggestion would be too try to give the gold a bit more depth.
Yup, freehanded the power weapon effect... I start leadbelcher, water down Necron abyss, water down enchanted blue, put on ice blue and then drybrush and lightning in white. I did get an airbrush (el cheapo) in the mail this week, but I haven't tried it out yet.

Gold could definitely improve, right now it's just dheneb stone, gold, earth wash, gold.

I was thinking to improve depth I could perhaps highlight with silver, wash again, layer gold and re-highlight silver... do you think that would work?

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
Yeah that would do the trick, I would try and darken it a bit as well but that's just me personally.

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Well tinkering around listening to lectures, I've base coated some infinity and some paladins and converted this fun bit of hardware:

Based around some leftover ork bitz and what I think was a P51 Mustang that my Fiance's brother donated to me. First Dakkajet for free, hurray!

Into line it goes behind titan bits, infinity figures, guard and paladins.

Now to find something with the rules for it...

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Dakkajet looks good!
Thanks Jac! It's still sitting on a shelf chilling out whilst I paint up various other things.

Speaking of which, after chewing my nails and feeling not at all confident I finally got into gear and started painting my GK Titan / Dream-forge Leviathan.

I was a little motivated by receiving this in record time from Wayland Games:

Which I will be playing as a turbo-laser destroyer (because D weapons make apocalypse faster and more fun, if agonising).

I wanted to stick with Grey Knight Concepts and colours whilst making the titan distinct. So, on the shoulder shield and breastplate, I have painted this:

TITAN!

Unoriginal perhaps, but I think it's cooler than just the word, as motifs go.

Also, check out this guy's version of what I've done. He's done it as a commission Imperial Knight, but MAN has he done a good job!

http://piratevikingpainting.blogspot.com.au/2012/09/legio-astorum-knight.html

This weekend I had a big gaming day and played three games, including a 1 on 1, 5000 ish point apocalypse. To get ready, I had to go back over the Grey Knights I did last year and change the silver weapons into force weapons.

Suffice to say, I feel a lot more confident about painting lightning now...

That's all for now folks, next time I'll hopefully have a whole lot more Leviathan to show off!

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Will keep an eye out for your finished knight!
Not there yet by any means, but I sure am making progress... I took this about halfway in to tonight.

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
if the Imperial Knights are indeed being released you have a nice stand in for one of thems as well. Very good work on something this size
Thanks Swede! The base for it is about twice the size of a flyer base, but if I go buy one now I may be able to blend it in to the Dreamforge base. I'm still a little unsure what I want to do with it... perhaps I should try and ebay some cheap bloodletters to splatter?

Anyway, updates:

I've wired a blue LED into the helm, we'll see how that goes.
Next - Washing and highlighting the machine parts, and layering up the armour.

·
Registered
205 Posts
i put led lights into the interior of my crusader about... a long time back... need to get those running again. it really added to the table imo. not the easiest job running all of the wires. what batteries did you use? where did you fit them?

i have to catch up on many of the middle pages of this thread, but your modeling and painting are very good, and i can see improvement in finish and fit.
i will have to look into an led magnifying tool. good idea.

inspiring collection.
thank you for that.
i now have something to check on daily, besides the news and the new journal articles i have to read, the student emails with student-y questions, and all that real-world stuff.
looking forward to sharing your progress.
best!

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
what batteries did you use? where did you fit them?
Thanks for the kind words Jin. I'm not at all experienced in electrics, so I've gone with the most basic circuit of all... a light, a battery, and two wires. Which, in this case, come from the LED.

There's a natural cavity in the breastplate of this model, which makes it perfect. Drill two holes to stand the LED in the helmet:

Cut up some pluck foam to create a support for the battery so that it won't just fall out:

Then mark the + and -, glue in the foam and insert a taped-together set of three little AG3 lithium batteries when you want the eyes to glow. in the mean time, I'm bluetacing them in the cavity lest they be forgotten:

That's it so far!

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I've only just begun to appreciate painting techniques my own attempts being hopelessly primitive and in reading your thread for the beginning the first question that come to mind is how you manage such straight and crisp fine lines such as in the image below.

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
I've only just begun to appreciate painting techniques my own attempts being hopelessly primitive and in reading your thread for the beginning the first question that come to mind is how you manage such straight and crisp fine lines
Hey Blackadder! My freehand is terrible too, but I cheat by using rulers, pencils and micro-fineliners (and frequent looks at references or thinking in pseudo-geometry) to give a ground layer before I put down the paint. HB pencils will mark a basecoat without leaving marks when you erase them, which is awesome.

Otherwise, I just hold the brush as perpendicular as I can and go very, very slowly using just the tip.

And everytime I hear or write 'just the tip' I can't help but remember Archer season 1.

Hope some of that helps!

61 - 80 of 378 Posts