Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
It's Only Logical
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I do apologize as I do not have my rulebook on hand. However I did read something along the lines of this last night during my game. My Psyker and Termy's were invisible due to invisibility. I'm sure all of you are aware of the very powerful psychic spell. You can only fire snap shots at the affected unit until it wares off among other things. Obviously you can't snap fire with regular blast templates, and u can with d3 wall of death with Flamers if I was to charge a unit with a flamer I assume?

However my friend came up with a plan of targeting let's say a unit directly behind my Psyker's unit and targeting them specifically. Would my unit in between get caught in the fire if under the template? The rules specifically say something along the lines of you have to make it so the targeted unit is covered as much as possible. So if he can only target the other unit, only covering one marine but happens to cover 5 of my Termy's and librarian under the template does it hit them and resolve like normal? It would be a good strat around invisibility that's for sure.

A different question if I may separate from that. When resolving a blast template. Let's say I kill 8 guys under this blast template. Does my opponent remove the models under the template or the models closest to the firing squad despite what was under the template.

Thanks

Glokkss

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Yes, that is the only way to hit an invisible unit with a flamer--and I'm pretty sure you have to be in range of that main target unit, to boot, in order to place the flamer template at all. Blast templates can't target the invisible unit, but they can scatter onto it or similarly be placed over a different unit's base so it's on top of some of them. Bear in mind that overwatch "wall of death" hits from flamers are perfectly acceptable forms of hits to get against an invisible unit, though: that's how flamers Overwatch snap fire.

Regarding removing casualties: if the blast weapon is just a blast weapon, no, you remove from the front of the unit as usual. If it's a barrage weapon, however, you then do start removing from the center of the template and work your way outward.

·
It's Only Logical
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, that is the only way to hit an invisible unit with a flamer--and I'm pretty sure you have to be in range of that main target unit, to boot, in order to place the flamer template at all. Blast templates can't target the invisible unit, but they can scatter onto it or similarly be placed over a different unit's base so it's on top of some of them. Bear in mind that overwatch "wall of death" hits from flamers are perfectly acceptable forms of hits to get against an invisible unit, though: that's how flamers Overwatch snap fire.

Regarding removing casualties: if the blast weapon is just a blast weapon, no, you remove from the front of the unit as usual. If it's a barrage weapon, however, you then do start removing from the center of the template and work your way outward.
Yes sorry. I'm on my phone and didn't make it very clear. I was aware of wall of death. Thanks for the clarifications for both questions. Appreciate it.

·
Registered
187 Posts
his method is perfectly viable, however remember that the template must be placed so it covers as many enemy models in the target unit as possible (doesn't matter about how much of other units it coves), for a blast only the hole of the marker must be over wholly over a base of a model in the target unit

any model under the template/marker is hit (unless it has a rule that specifically says that it can't be hit by them, such as with flyers) regardless of invisibility and casualties will be the closes models to the firers unless the weapon also has the barrage rule, in which case they casualties are those closest to the hole of the blast marker

hope this helps

and while i was typing this out i was beaten to saying it, hats off to you mossy toes

1 - 4 of 4 Posts