Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I've been lurking here on-and-off for a bit, so I figured it was time to post an introduction.
I'll start by answering the canned questions:

- How did you find us.
Honestly, I don't remember since it's been a while. Probably from a web search for something Warhammer related.

- Your location.
Charlotte, North Carolina, USA. I've only been here a few years, but it's a nice place and I enjoy living here.

- High School memories.
Geez... that was quite a while ago. I guess I'm kind of an "old fart" at 35, but a young player (see below.)

- Why did you choose that handle (name).
Mainly tribute to my fandom of Star Wars and homage to my college Alma Mater (the ibis was our mascot.)

- How long have you been playing Games Workshop Systems and Wargames in general
I did a little RPGs when I was younger (1e D&D, Star Frontiers) and started wargames with FASA's Star Trek TCS (kind of like Starfleet Battles.) A friend of mine from high school was into Warhammer and 40k. I thought it was cool, but never bought into it (literally $).
After I graduated college (and had a real job,) I was in a local game mega-store and saw some sweet space ships... they were Battlefleet Gothic.

I started looking back into GW's product lines and ended up buying a WHFB starter set (6e.) I started putting a few of the minis together and just stopped after a while. That box moved from apartment to house to current house. I came across it while unpacking a little while ago and decided to give it another look.

So, I invested in a little workspace for myself in the house and bought some new acrylic paints (throwing out the old Testors enamels I had from my youth) and started putting stuff together. Once I started collecting stuff, I ended up with one of the Eldar army sets that I got for a great price from a local game shop.

So to summarize the long story, I've been playing 40k for about a year and planning to take on Fantasy in the near future.

- Best memory during a battle.
I don't know about during, but before the battle, my friend and I were rolling for first turn and rolled the exact same number on the dice like six times in a row. Very Rosencrantz & Guildenstern.

- Favourite army.
For 40k: Eldar, followed by Dark Angels. I'm also really starting to get into the new Ork stuff and intend to make that my 3rd choice (I bought the spearhead.)
Fantasy: High Elves, Bretonnians and Wood elves. I only have HE right now (and not many.) I've got way too much 40k stuff to build and paint to worry about that right now. :cool:

- Regular gaming buddies also on the forums.
None that I'm aware of. We had a pretty nice little forum locally and there was "drama" there and it went belly-up.

- Basically anything of interest to give us a better understanding of who you are and what you’re about.
Well, I'm a 35-year-old civil engineer, married with no kids yet, one dog. I was both an athlete and musician back in school, so I've always considered myself a JOAT (jack of all trades, master of none.) Even though I was a swimmer/runner/soccer(football) player in school, my two favorite sports are racquetball and snow skiing (neither of which I've done a lot of lately.)

I'm enjoying doing the Warhammer thing because it helps me relax when I'm doing the modeling/painting and it is a creative outlet for me... plus when I'm done, I can use the models to pretend to kill stuff and break things.

- Why not include a picture?
Probably because I don't have one handy. Maybe I'll add one later if I feel like it.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
That has to be about the longest introduction that I have ever read on this site.

On another note welcome to the heresy.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, didn't so much mean to write a novel, but sometimes an explanation is warranted over a simple one-word answer.

Anyway, thanks Hiker.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts