Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day Heretics,

Having an interesting discussion on my project log after I posted up an Apocalypse Batrep concerning timed turns in games.

My thoughts in nutshell are
I think the purpose of timing turns (aside from finishing at a reasonable hour) should be more about keeping the game flowing and forcing decision making by each player. Apocalypse can be really boring and demoralising for the player on the receiving end of a turn, and a time limit firstly gives a light at the end of the tunnel but also forces decisions to be made, if not quickly, after only minimal consideration. The action-reaction nature of the game doesn't get too lost in the scale then, which I feel is important.
So, who of you play games with timed turns? Do you time the game, the player turn or the game turn, and what do you use to keep track?

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
I play so fast on my turn typically it doesn't matter how long my opponent takes....must be all the punk rock :biggrin:

I totally see the need for this in massive games. Use the same timer that chess players use.

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It might be worth using a chess clock or a timer to manage turn length.
I totally see the need for this in massive games. Use the same timer that chess players use.
This is a really good idea - so during actions in the other player's turn, do you stop the clock, let it run in the other player's turn or let it run in your turn?

Also, where does one buy a chess clock from these days?

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Also, where does one buy a chess clock from these days?
In the year 2015 I find that Google solves problems like that (see also: basically everything).

Hilarious to me that Kreuger thought the same. Great minds think like me, eh? :laugh:

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
Never tried this when I still played 40k, but considering the massive (positive and fucking nail-biting) impact it's had on how we play X-Wing, I think it could only be a good thing.

Especially, as mentioned, during Apocalypse games..... :shok:

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Tourney games are generally on a time limit, which definitely speeds up play--and even if your local gaming group doesn't adopt hard and fast turn limits, it strikes me that just making note of how long you spend doing what might improve your play speed. "Oh, our game is running over time and the shop's closing? Well, we spent an hour just setting up and handling deployment--I suppose we could streamline that process for..." etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts