Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys,

Someone I know has expressed an interest in the game so I said I would sort a game out for us to play as an intro.
I have IG and BA armies but I was wondering how would be best to show him the basic rules.
I was thinking 500 points of each army on a 4 x 4 table. Only some ruins and basic infantry maybe with a transport or two. No psykers or flyers. I think this will get me some movement, combat and show a couple of different armies.
What do you think?

·
DA GOLDEN WAAAGH
1,285 Posts
Sounds like a decent idea, thats how I've always brought new players into the game get a small game going. Also dont stomp him too much that can put people off the game too.

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
that is what I would do. Keep is simple and mostly troops to show different kinds of squads and what they do. Letting them know about the different armies and such would help. Sounds like you are on the right track.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
i would suggest taking a tactical squad and a RAS squad for the BA - maybe a captain too.

for guard...I would just take a platoon (and if you are using this force take little to no heavy/special weapons.) and a CCS with a chimera...maybe some ogryns if you have any.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's what i was thinking.
Ccs and platoon with a chimera and aegis line as it looks cool! Ogryns are a good idea though

Tac squad and assault squad and a captain is my choice maybe with a razorback.
Sound ok?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Sure, that should work. I gave an introduction-game not too long ago with similar forces. I tend to stay away from fortifications during intro-games, but if you wanna use it for the nice optics, go ahead ;) .
One thing I noticed over the years: It often helps new players, when you explain the logic behind a rule, not only the rule itself. Especially for stuff like morale etc., try to explain what it represents, not only what it does in the game.

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
Good post there Zero. I think people need both, but more so one or another depending on how their brain works...

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
I think it's a good idea to switch around after one or two games, too: give him a few games as Blood Angels then switcheroo for a game with Imperial Guard. This'll let him get the feel of both playstyles and he can see what he prefers. I'd go for a combat army with BA and a shooting IG list (although as said, be careful not to make it as shooty as IG can get or, to a lesser extent, as fighty as BA get). I'm getting a friend back into the game and we've just ordered Dark Vengeance after he decided he liked the look and play of CSM.)

On one hand, don't thrash him as said, but on the other, don't throw games. It's fairly easy to spot and people generally feel insulted.

Midnight

·
Unhinged Hobo
2,341 Posts
I found that i could not necisarily throw a game but make it more of a challenge by using the victory conditions or terrain to give the other player an advantage.

If you are teaching him how to play then the game isn't really about who wins or looses but teachign the basics and creating a spectacle. You know exactly how important set up can be in a game but at the beginning a new player might not really see the benefits of certain terrain items. I tend to not deploy incredibly competatively but help guide them through how they can get the best out of their model positions. Likewise the scenario or terrain. Imagine a game where the objectve is to capture an objective that the opponent already has ahold of, your playing infantry heavy guard and he's blood angels, that should be an uphill struggle for you without necisarily throwing the fight. If nothing it'll make the game more challenging and less of a cakewalk for you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts