Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never really cared for matt wards fluff but the purifiers are somewhat interesting given they're secrecy even within the GKs.

What if the purifiers were actually former traitor legionnaires that were captured and given that exceptionally rare chance of redemption, perhaps the secret they guard is actually a process that prisoners have to go through that 'purifies' them, obviously the vast majority would die but sometimes the odd one makes it through and hey presto, new gk purifier that is 'immune' to chaos.

The Horus heresy fluff is now basically saying that many of the gk founder were formerly from the traitor legions, I would be surprised if those founders didn't leave some way for their former brothers to return loyal somehow, and this would also make Wards fluff a little easier to swallow

·
Registered
379 Posts
Sounds pretty plausible if you ask me, seen as they are still "human" they still have human toughts and emotions and therefore can be corrupted. I dont see why the inquisition wouldn't be able to do the same thing they did in the dark ages i.e. converting them to the light by means of torture and brainwashing. That would also explain why they can't be corrupted again.

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
Nah, can't see it happening TBH. The process of a Psyker off a black ship getting to GK Purifier level is so long and drawn out and the number who actually make it through so small that integrating redeemed Traitors into there ranks would be something that might happen once in a 100000000000 if your lucky.

·
The Emperor Protects
5,262 Posts
With that said though, I'm not really a fan of this theory. The original Grey Knights were never actually traitors(well, unless one fan theory come to fruition), they were just from the traitor Legions, they weren't converted or forced to be loyalists. That and aside from the original founders, current Knights go through a completely different type of training to regular Astartes, nevermind the traitors and it's almost outright stated that they have the Emperors geneseed, or some sort of equivalent geneseed at the least.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
With that said though, I'm not really a fan of this theory. The original Grey Knights were never actually traitors(well, unless one fan theory come to fruition), they were just from the traitor Legions, they weren't converted or forced to be loyalists. That and aside from the original founders, current Knights go through a completely different type of training to regular Astartes, nevermind the traitors and it's almost outright stated that they have the Emperors geneseed, or some sort of equivalent geneseed at the least.
IMO Instead of being the Hurr durr we're teh incorrupatable grey knights and other fanboy wankery their elite are space marines who committed the ultimate heresy and repented.

It's not unheard of. The exorcists makes deals with daemons. So whose a say a traitor marine wouldn't feel the same way.

After all their gene father lead them to heresy, they choose to follow him. The sins of the father need not past down to their sons.

It would also explain their secrecy.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Again sounds pretty plausible to me and ties in nicely with Lux her theory. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one that is wondering what all the secrecy is about, I mean what could these knights in shining armour possibly have to hide? You can say all you want but to me it simply doesn't make sense.

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
The Grey Knight Codex itself say there is a great evil entombed beneath Mt Anarch and the the Purifiers sort it out when it gets restless.

Pretty sure a series of imprisoned repentant CSM wouldn't be able to induce an earthquake as the Codex says occurs.

·
The Emperor Protects
5,262 Posts
IMO Instead of being the Hurr durr we're teh incorrupatable grey knights and other fanboy wankery their elite are space marines who committed the ultimate heresy and repented.

It's not unheard of. The exorcists makes deals with daemons. So whose a say a traitor marine wouldn't feel the same way.

After all their gene father lead them to heresy, they choose to follow him. The sins of the father need not past down to their sons.

It would also explain their secrecy.
It's not 'Hurr durr fankboy wankery' It's simply outright stated in the codex(and word to the wise, not a GK fanboy, I've not liked their fluff since the new codex), through a combination of the Emperors geneseed or whatever he gave them and their training/indoctrination, they become incorruptible.

I just don't see 10,000 year old traitor marines suddenly having a change of heart, nor would the current Imperium ever take them back. More to the point, traitor marines decided to repent, is completely different from the OP's theory of the Knights capturing traitor marines and 'purifying' them. Neither of which I find remotely plausible or believable. Again, the original founders never were traitors, so you can't use them as a basis for this theory either.

·
The Emperor Protects
5,262 Posts
Fun theory for now, even one that could very well come true. But if Sevetar somehow ends up being recruited by Malcador, I'm going to go on a hunch and say it will be due to not wanting to ally with Chaos, thus far in the series, the Night Lords haven't had anything to do with daemons or the corrupted. The same cannot be said for the traitors in 40k.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
It's not 'Hurr durr fankboy wankery' It's simply outright stated in the codex(and word to the wise, not a GK fanboy, I've not liked their fluff since the new codex), through a combination of the Emperors geneseed or whatever he gave them and their training/indoctrination, they become incorruptible.

I just don't see 10,000 year old traitor marines suddenly having a change of heart, nor would the current Imperium ever take them back. More to the point, traitor marines decided to repent, is completely different from the OP's theory of the Knights capturing traitor marines and 'purifying' them. Neither of which I find remotely plausible or believable. Again, the original founders never were traitors, so you can't use them as a basis for this theory either.
Last time I checked ward's name is on the codex.

·
The Emperor Protects
5,262 Posts
Which doesn't change the fact that everything in there is canon, whether we like it or not. If Ward says they're incorruptible, then they are. It's that simple. Awful fluff, but canon all the same.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Which doesn't change the fact that everything in there is canon, whether we like it or not. If Ward says they're incorruptible, then they are. It's that simple. Awful fluff, but canon all the same.
Tarsis ultra was canon.
The necrons being a single entity wanting to wipe all life out was canon.
Ollianus pius was canon.
the squats were canon.

Should I go on?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Tarsis ultra was canon.
The necrons being a single entity wanting to wipe all life out was canon. Their unity was never certain and neither was their goal. Omnicidal 'Crons still exist, we just know more about the rest of them.
Ollianus pius was canon. Still is most like.
the squats were canon. Still are. They're dead not removed from canon.

Should I go on?
Canon changes, it does so all the time. The change that made Grey Knights completely incorruptible was such a change. However that doesn't mean current canon isn't canon. Until someone retcons the incorruptible nature of the Grey Knights it is fact. Just like every other thing about canon. Sure any day now Ward could write Codex: The Imperium Kicks All the Asses and have Calgar murder Khorne but that doesn't mean you could argue "Khorne is dead" with any trace of rationality.

·
The Emperor Protects
5,262 Posts
But we're not talking about TT, this is fluff. And in the fluff, the Grey Knights are incorruptible because of their training and the Emperor's Gift, not because the Purifiers round up and 'Purify' traitor Astartes.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts